Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't tune and Drive! FastEddi look here!

Don't tune and Drive! FastEddi look here!

OK so the guy probably wasn't tuning but this is how fast your lights can go out!

http://rmirror.net/r/videos/comments...accident_nsfl/

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Son says "That car broke." I guess. There's a lot of foolishness here during the winter. As soon as that truck started dancing I wanted to throw it in nuetral. But you can see, if you know winter driving, the driver failed to let off the throttle. Other than being impressed with the driver of the cube van, there's not much that I want to see there again.

Son says "That car broke."
    that's cute, how old is he?

Yeah hindsight is always 20/20, I've seen a car hit slush just as he passed me and I was slowing down because the lane he was in was not clear... he swayed and overcorrected and slid right in front of me off the road. No one hurt but if I didn't slow down when I saw him passing he would have hit me too!

Moral of this story is PAY ATTENTION! This is how fast things can happen to end your life.

I don't want to admit how many times I have drifted lanes while tuning... and now have my routine of driving, parking lot, driving exit ramp, driving exit ramp, driving parking lot, driving and home. 20 minutes I have several logs, do my thing, rinse and repeat. But no more looking at laptop dashboards while driving and drifting into other lanes!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    if i'm looking at the laptop, it's because i'm either the passenger or stopped somewhere.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

See the results of doing that? Your still alive!

-= =-

That video was from Russia IIRC. The story goes that the tires on that vehicle weren't the greatest for driving in heat, let alone slush.

While I don't condone watching things other than the road and gauges while tuning, I have set-up certain dashes to make specific things easy to read, at a glance. The other thing that is nice, is the Tuner View II stuck ontop of my dash, unfortunately, the GM support is limited, and doesn't sound like it will ever be updated... I need to get my Arduino knowledge up and build my own.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

That TunerVeiw thing you have would be a nice option if it could be configured for all ECM/PCM! I like what that guy is doing on TunerPro forum with his video monitor and dashboard from TunerPro in his motorhome. A tiny notebook on dash would be nice as well if TunerPro could output data to it and you could customize the dash to have a few big things you need to glance at while driving....

-= =-

Holy crap that video was something. Crist that makes me not wana drive my car..lol. But I do take it seriously. I fixed the camera on the steering wheel and get my brother to go with me as much as possible when tuning.
    The only time I look at the lap top way too much is when I have the Spark Retard on the screen. It fills up the whole screen with just that value so its very large and easy to glance at when. Im being mre safe as Ive continued to ttune.
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Is a nice option of TunerPro you can make a full screen dashboard of one value to make it a SHORT glance! I actually have about 12 dashboards in some of my ADX files because of that.

-= =-

That video is horriable, unbelievable how quickly and easaly that suv explodes. I dont see how there could be any chance of surviving that. Watching movies is one thing, but seing something like that and knowing its real is not fun to watch.

I usally have the laptop open on the seat next to me, but usally dont look at it unless I have to. When there is a time I need to carefully watch the screen while driving, I drive to a remote location. There are a few dead end, unused roads near me. Plus a few miles away there is a vary large empty parking lot from a old walmart. I go to these locations, as I am un hindered by traffic and can take my time.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

You can datalog and stop vehicle and watch the datalog!

I'd really like everyone to see this video! Then think of it while your driving and tuning, then learn how to datalog and park and watch what you just did! My goal was to get FastEddi to watch it because of all his videos.

What I really want to not happen is to ever loose someone because they were tuning while driving!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You can datalog and stop vehicle and watch the datalog!

I'd really like everyone to see this video! Then think of it while your driving and tuning, then learn how to datalog and park and watch what you just did! My goal was to get FastEddi to watch it because of all his videos.

What I really want to not happen is to ever loose someone because they were tuning while driving!
    I will stop and watch the log play back after the run. I dont wana get hurt either and your really just opened my eyes on that. Thanks eaglemark!
    Im just so conserned that the car is not tuned properly(im still new at this and dont wana kill the car) thats why I am constantly looking at the laptop, mainly for KR. But also dont wana kill myself in the process so ill break that habit!
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Super Moderator
    fun tip for anyone who doesn't know about it already:

press F8 with the dash open. :)
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    fun tip for anyone who doesn't know about it already:

press F8 with the dash open. :)
    Nice! I had to open TunerPro and try!

Now FastEddi can make a new dashboard with one Knock Retard gauge and press F8!

-= =-

Is that the shortcut to full screen? Double click the dash header does the same thing.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s