Thread: FNG - '80 CJ5, SBC 400+

Carb and Points!

FNG - '80 CJ5, SBC 400+

FNG to GearHead EFI & TBI. Just finished a project (with a lot of help) restoring an '80 Jeep CJ5 with SBC TBI. Joined to READ PREVIOUS POSTS prior to posting any questions. Currently having issues with the timing on my new ride...

Specifics (all new parts):

SBC 400 + .030"

Cam: Lunati BM-II 00012
    • 300/300 advertised duration
    • 246/246 @ .050
    • Lift @ Valve: .515/.515
    • LSA: 108*
    • Center line of intake lobe: 104*
    • Advanced 4* (installed at 2* advanced - Cloyes 3-Keyway)
    • Overlap: 30*
    • RPM Range: 2500-6500

Distributor/Ignition (Standard Part #, unless otherwise specified):
    • (Small) Cap: DR458
    • Rotor: DR326
    • Ignition Module: LX340
    • Pick Up Coil: LX342
    • Coil: MSD Blaster SS
    • Wires: SummitRacing SUM-868836R 8mm
    • Plugs: ACDelco R45TS

ECM:
    • Service #: 1227747

Pistons:
    • Keith Black KB159-030 hyper-eutectic
    • 12cc dished

Heads:
    • GM 333882
    • 76cc

Intake:
    • Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap 7501

Exhaust:
    • Hedman 69516 Headers - 3" Collectors
    • MagnaFlow 12649 Mufflers 3" in/3" out

Sensors/Other (Standard Part #, unless otherwise specified):
    • IAC: AC1
    • ECT: TX3
    • TPS: TH41 (maybe TH42)
    • MAP: AS5
    • O2 Sensor: Bosch 13077 (I've been having acceleration, or lack there of, problems since installing-Didn't have the $$ for ACD 213-632 - originally had SG91)
    • Fuel Pump: NAPA P5001
    • Alternator - 7802NB - reman - "high output" - single wire (looking into converting this)

SM465 Transmission

• Cast Iron Top Cover (would love aluminum if anyone has any leads)
    • Gears: 6.55/3.58/1.70/1.00/6.09(R)

NP205 Transfer Case

• High: 1.00
    • Low: 1.96
    • Twin Shifters

Axles
    Front:
    • '76 Scout II Dana 44
    • 4.56 Powr-Lok
    • Disc brakes

Rear:
    • '76 Scout II Dana 44 Tubes
    • Case/center section/pumpkin - '78 or '79 Ford D44 HP
      • Had to use a high pinion d/t short wheelbase of CJ5 and the rear drive shaft (14") angle.

• 4.56 Powr-Lok Reverse Spiral
    • Drum brakes

Other:
    • 35" General Grabbers
    • Coil-over front and rear
    • Weight: ~3400lbs (900lbs/front corner, 800lbs/rear corner)

Can supply any other info if curious, needed, etc.!

If you see anything that jumps out at you please let me know! I was having some issues with cold starts, once about every 3 or 4 I would have to keep the RPMs around 2k or it would die. I'm not too sure about the ECM, the gentleman that put together the TBI kit had all the information on the build, and sent me a new chip after describing my issues. Seems better than it was but something still isn't quite right.

Long story short, I moved for school before the break-in process, my knowledgable buddy (mostly Ford, admittedly) finished for me, then I had it shipped.

The first couple weeks I had it, it seemed to be running great (other than the occasional cold start mishap). Now, when I get up around 2500 RPM it's hesitating/stumbling with acceleration (only when under load). I started messing with the timing, found the initial timing (at idle ~950 RPM), with ECM disconnected, it was advanced 4*. It seems like some "experts" say it needs to be at 0 with ECM unplugged, and others say SBCs with bigger cams like upwards of 12*. Anything under ~7* advanced with ECM unplugged, it will not idle without giving it some throttle.

Vacuum is adequate (forgot to mention - no vacuum or mechanical advance), fuel pressure is adequate, spray looks fine.

I read that the "heated" O2 sensor that came with the TBI kit is pretty shotty and does not actually heat up efficiently. Seeing as that is the only real feedback on fuel/air mixture, I thought that may be contributing to my stumble during acceleration. Since replacing it, if I give it anymore throttle than just enough to get it moving, it jerks like crazy...

As you can see, I have a few wrinkles to iron out, but excited to learn during the process. Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

Attaching some pictures, and a video (before it was "done") of it running...

https://youtu.be/uLyRf3pCWo0

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you post a TunerPro RT data log .xdl file and the .bin file from the chip?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Can you post a TunerPro RT data log .xdl file and the .bin file from the chip?

dave w
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response! I am in the process of figuring out how to run TunerPro RT. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro, and it is not a big fan of running Parallels, Wine, etc. I understand the importance of the data requested (but not how to interpret it). Will get it ASAP.

Data logs have the basics; fuel, air, spark, and a nice way of seeing what is happening. See sample screen shots.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images