Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opensource LS Flashing(It's Closer Than You Think)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    I can get you any vpw factory flash write routine + basic commands list and seed/key algo number by a vin number.
    The offset address the bin starts and the chunk size.
    All you have to do is figure where in the ram the routine is loaded and if some of the stuff is overwritten.

Gm even assigns them a part number, so you can make a list based on car, model, pcm used.
    I compare two flash routines for 1mb pcm and it was 1 byte difference/2004 y-body vs 2005 truck/. It could be intel vs amd flash.
    Does intel /amd pcm have different hardware part numbers.
    That's very interesting.....I it might be outside the scope of this thread currently so I'm going to PM you about this until I know exactly how/if this would be useful for what we are working on.

Fuel Injected!
    Quick status update for this forum.....

The "Pcm Hammer" Pc program has been coming along slowly, drivers and formatting has just about been worked out for 7 commercially available tools so far. Once the framework is complete and the tools are all working with the same program core we can start working on adding in the block mode and start reading data back from the pcm.

For mobile use the Android+Bluetooth development is also coming along nicely and has just started to read data in block mode.

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi Pete,

Looking good so far. Any idea when you will release this one? I have v1.7 on a phone - just can't do anything with it as I don't have a working adapter YET!
    Also, is this going to support the AllPro USB with an OTG cable?

Mike

Keep up the excellent work! It's definitely time to have an open source option for this. Some of these LS PCMs are ~20 years old now.

Electronic Ignition!

Fuel Injected!
    There hasn't been much to talk about in this thread recently and I've had a lot of questions asking what the status of this project was since it just kind of seemed to fade away over the last month or so, that was the calm before the storm......

Fuel Injected!
    Nice. Does this mean you're using your own open-source flash kernel now or are you still using the LS1Flash closed-source kernel?

Fuel Injected!
    The kernel is closed source but we have permission to use it and I think we we will soon have permission to distribute it.

Fuel Injected!
    How's the UI stuff going? Is the hardware abstraction layer stuff working out well? Which interfaces did you ultimately stick with so far?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    How's the UI stuff going? Is the hardware abstraction layer stuff working out well? Which interfaces did you ultimately stick with so far?
    Working out the last of the bugs and tweaking a few things to improve read times with some of the tools. We are pretty close to being able to release a "beta" version that will work in a vehicle as well as it does on the bench.

Tools we have tested to be 100% working for read at this point....

Obdlink Sx (Usb), Lx(BT), Mx(BT) - 1x speeds with 512 byte blocks and by far the slowest but manageable on a bench.... in car you'd need a damn good battery with 1mb pcm's. $30 -$80 price range depending on device

Allpro (USB), Allpro Development board(Rx/Tx headers), Allpro "kit"(Rx/Tx headers) - 4x speeds W/2048 byte blocks. 512K pcm is around 7 minutes, 1mb is around 15 minutes but these times will get faster as we make improvements. $25-$35 price range depending on device. **The Bluetooth version is currently not working however you can add an HC-5 BT module($4.00) to either of the boards with Rx/Tx connections to make it BT**

Avt - 852 is smoking fast and will be a contender for any commercial tool. Expect $300 depending on what options you order one with. The Avt-842 "Should" also be working but we have not verified.

J 2534 - This one's interesting, the quality of the device has a HUGE impact on read times but so far every J tool genuine and clone's(quality clones) has worked with out an issue. MDI, Vxdiag Nano, Mongoose etc are all working with out issue. A quality MDI clone is comparable in time to the Avt-852 but the Avt still win's. The Vxdiag is significantly slower then the MDI and is more in line with the Allpro for speed. $90-$2500 price range

At this point every tool we set out to support is working, some are much faster then others but that was to be expected. The real deciding factor is cost of the interface but that was the intention of all of this. The end user will be able to decide how much or how little they want to spend to be able to get into programming. While the J tool is pretty expensive for a lot of them these are also very common in automotive shops where a lot of people work (or have friends that work) and would have access to them making them still accessible to a lot of people.

Things on the todo list still include cleanup and some minor bugs and a final version of the flash kernel. Antus from Pcmhancking has shard a couple different kernels we've been working with for testing but he hasn't decide what the "release" version of the kernel will be at this point. Antus has been working on extensive firmware changes to the Allpro and working directly with the company to improve and fix some bugs we had with it. Once that's wrapped up I'm sure he get the final version of the kernel worked out. There has been talk of adding compression into the kernel but we're not sure how the "Elm" stuff would like it, compression can DRASTICALLY speed up read times, for example the 1mb pcm's only take around 20 seconds longer to read then the 512Kb pcm's do. It's a huge gain but it may create more problems at this point so it's still up in the air.

Once a read only version is out and no one finds any major bugs we've missed a calibration only write will be next on the list will hopefully be working this summer, once that's done a full OS write will be the last thing that's added and will be a ways out at this point.

There are a couple of people working on Xdf's as well but coverage will be spotty on the 1mb's for a while yet. There are a LOT of os's and each one takes a good bit of time to create. I'm in talks with a couple of people that have partial Xdf's on the 512k pcm's......if they were to "donate" them to the cause and they were finished it would give almost complete coverage for the 411 and 0896 pcm's.

Fuel Injected!
    Right now there are some pretty complete XDF's for the 512K PCMs, as you really only want to use the 2002 unified OS for most swaps. The unified OS lets you easily swap blocks to get the engine/transmission combination right, and has the widest coverage of features out of all of the other OS's.

As to the 1mb PCMs, we haven't had a free/inexpensive way to read/write them that didn't already have the ability to edit the PCM, so not too many people have messed around with them yet. Once your tool is released, I don't expect it will take very long to get a WIDE variety of XDF/ADX contributions. I believe we already have a few people working on the blue/clear PCM as well, I've done some work with it and EJ282 has done some. Those applications will likely be slower to come to fruition, but as the hardware is very similar, it won't take too long to get them all going, I think.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Right now there are some pretty complete XDF's for the 512K PCMs, as you really only want to use the 2002 unified OS for most swaps. The unified OS lets you easily swap blocks to get the engine/transmission combination right, and has the widest coverage of features out of all of the other OS's.

As to the 1mb PCMs, we haven't had a free/inexpensive way to read/write them that didn't already have the ability to edit the PCM, so not too many people have messed around with them yet. Once your tool is released, I don't expect it will take very long to get a WIDE variety of XDF/ADX contributions. I believe we already have a few people working on the blue/clear PCM as well, I've done some work with it and EJ282 has done some. Those applications will likely be slower to come to fruition, but as the hardware is very similar, it won't take too long to get them all going, I think.
    Some of the people that wrote the Xdf's your referring to are the one's working on the 1mb Xdf's now

There is a VERY good change the other Pcm's your talking about would be compatible with the software we are working on but would need a different flash kernel. The commands to read haven't changed much over the years....even the CAN pcm's use the same commands with a couple of extra bytes tacked onto the end.

Fuel Injected!
    This just in.........Android is now a up and running. Tested in vehicle tonight using an Allpro dev board with Bluetooth Hc-5 module....verified my Bin file was correct with EFI Live and it passed with flying colors

Fuel Injected!
    On the blue/clear PCM-when I say the hardware is very similar-I mean it's *VERY* similar. It's used with the LS4 V8, as well as most all the 60*v6's and the shortstar V6's, so as you say-might need a slightly altered flash kernel, but it is contemporary to the 512K and 1Mb LS PCM's.

LSDroid is looking pretty cool-combined with a decent OBDII datalogger, it could be pretty powerful.

Fuel Injected!
    I see your bigest obstacle is the flash routine.
    Can you add an option for user provided flash routine with some small config file containing data as seed/key algo used and some basic stuff as commands and how the bin is dumped to memory.

I found that all obd2 gm pcms support mode 3a and 3b to stream data. When the PCM is configured It starts to dump continuous data with 8 messages containing 6 bytes of data each. So you got 48 bytes with super fast refresh rate. It will be nice addition to read/write functionality. I know that elm devices have some built in inability to recieve more than one message. That can easily be overcomed with monitor all command when the pcm is configured and starts dumping the data.

If you want to add it to the android application I can give you more details.