Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Opensource LS Flashing(It's Closer Than You Think)

Carb and Points!
    Hi PeteS i would be interested in a program that just lets me change vin #s on 411 conversions,etc. since my hptuners wont let between operating systems. please pm me if you can help. i dont mind paying some if i have to for your troubles

Fuel Injected!
    If you look back a couple of posts there is a link to the Pcm Hammer and my Android app. Both are "Read Only" but both will change a vin number with out an issue.

Fuel Injected!
    That's an amazing project. Just read the whole thread, very interesting!

If you guys want me to add support for all this into ALDLdroid so that you can have the read/write operations and tune editing all in one Android app over Bluetooth/USB, I might be able to do that. Just hit me up at aldldroidapp at gmail.com :)
    ALDLdroid author, Android application for ALDL ECU
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roux.aldldroid

Like us on Facebook

Visit the app's Website

Fuel Injected!
    One of the very first posts on what was required to Read or flash a PCM that I read was written by EagleMark. It's a shame he's not around to see this happen, but the trail of bread crumbs he left behind is what lead me to work on this in the first place.

I feel privileged that I'm now able to come here today and finish his legacy. We've had read and write on the 411 for a few years now but it was costly and I know that Marks vision had something a whole lot bigger in mind...

So this one's for Mark - I used an Android phone and a $35 Bluetooth device to 100% clone a P59 tonight, this should make every one smile a bit..

Administrator
    Hi Pete,

I believe it's fair to say Mark would really appreciate this. It's going to be a great tool. It's amazing how many times a project like this has started only to die or turn into a for-profit solution over the years.

Thank you very much.

Also wanted to note, with humor, the auto suggest options at 2:12.

Fuel Injected!
    Write support has been released. Please read and heed the warnings though...

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHac.../2018.12.30.01

You can also find the latest release by going to http://PcmHammer.org and clicking the Releases link.
    Last edited by NSFW; 01-01-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    Write support has been released. Please read and heed the warnings though...

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHac.../2018.12.30.01

You can also find the latest release by going to http://PcmHammer.org and clicking the Releases link.

After 6 months of silence, I thought this project was dead, . Or mutated to a commercial release.

And now it exploads. You should have gotten some strong motivation to finish the job.

I read about that checksum issue you had, and it got me a little worried, how stable is the whole thing.
    I hope you know what your doing and the final product be worry free.
    Is there anytime soon a OS change option added. That is what matters most, since dimented tool can do a cal data write already.

Do you have any plans to make the tool complete with some datalogging and realtime control. Analizing the trim logs will be nice addition.
    Some guys here have huge experience with similar products for earlier GM controllers and can be of big help to you.

I also ripped the GM block logging, modes 3A and 3B, and realtime control Mode AE. This works a lot faster than any of the available logging tools available now.

Keep up the good work and get for the community a nice and useful tool.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    After 6 months of silence, I thought this project was dead, . Or mutated to a commercial release.

And now it exploads. You should have gotten some strong motivation to finish the job.

I read about that checksum issue you had, and it got me a little worried, how stable is the whole thing.
    I hope you know what your doing and the final product be worry free.
    Is there anytime soon a OS change option added. That is what matters most, since dimented tool can do a cal data write already.

Do you have any plans to make the tool complete with some datalogging and realtime control. Analizing the trim logs will be nice addition.
    Some guys here have huge experience with similar products for earlier GM controllers and can be of big help to you.

I also ripped the GM block logging, modes 3A and 3B, and realtime control Mode AE. This works a lot faster than any of the available logging tools available now.

Keep up the good work and get for the community a nice and useful tool.
    The project was never dead, we just had other things come up in our lives that took up too much of our time. All of us are doing this in our free time, so when we don't have free time, we don't have progress.

The checksum issue was a problem with the XDF that I was using, not with PCM Hammer itself. The contents of my .bin file were written to the PCM correctly!

I think the app is good, but the only way to know that it is good is to have a lot of people try it, and prove that it is good. As we have more proof, we can all have more confidence in it.

We also want to add some features to the app
    to prevent users from making mistakes, like mixing incompatible files, or flashing when the voltage is too low.

It is good enough to use it to reflash PCMs that are on a workbench. Those of us who are working on the app have done that a lot.

It is good enough to use it on a car that isn't one that you need to get to work, or to get groceries. I got that confidence after successfully flashing my car three times.

When we have a LOT more reports of successful in-car flashes, that will give me the confidence to recommend using it more widely. That will also give me the confidence to add support for OS flashing. It will require only tiny changes to the code. I just don't want to make those changes until I have more confidence. Recovering from a bad calibration or checksum flash is relatively easy, but recovering from a bad OS flash is hard.
    Last edited by NSFW; 01-18-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo: head -> dead

I am very excited! Finally a reality?
    I have an LM7 on an engine run stand and a few 0411 pcm(s). Looks like I need an SX USB model from scantool.net?
    If you need some testing I'm game.
    Is there a good TunerPro .xdf for a particular OS out there. I recall trying one and .bins always had errors when checked against EFILive.
    Tony

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (aka Babywag)
    '67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    The Scantool interface is the slowest of the bunch.

I use and recommend the USB version of the AllPro, which is available here:
    http://obddiag.net/products.html

The web site is a little bit cumbersome - you have to add the product and shipping costs yourself. :) But that's because the guy who is making and selling these great interfaces is just... a guy who is making and selling great interfaces.

There are good XDFs for a few OSes, we have collected a few of them here:
    https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/tree/develop/XDF

I know there are more out there, but we need to work on consolidating them. In addition to finding the files themselves, we also need to find the authors, and get permission to host copies of the files. If anyone wants to help with that job, that would be great.
    Last edited by NSFW; 01-11-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Pete and NSFW, Et al. Thanks for the hard work. You guys are a vital asset to the community.

Fuel Injected!
    I agree with CDeez. This project has opened doors for me and many others that didn't exist before. I am super grateful for this work.
    Last edited by DavidBraley; 01-12-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I have sent out copies of my Android flash app to a hand full of people for testing but its been slow getting feedback. No one has broken a pcm yet that I'm aware of and every one testing has used it at least once for a full flash. While I'm pretty sure there should be no major issues I'm still being very cautious before publicly posting the app.

With that being said if any one would like a copy or the write side of my LS Droid app send me a PM or email and I'll get you a copy. Its only been tested on Android 6.0 and up but it may work on older versions. As for hardware it only works with the Obdlink Lx and Mx bluetooth devices. It supports 3 modes of flashing for the P01 and 3 modes on the P59. They are calibration data only, OS+Calibration or PCM cloning. Flashing only the calibration data takes around 3 minutes for either the P01 or P59. Changing an OS on the P01 is around 12 minutes and Cloning is around 15 minutes. The P59 times are not quite double what the P01 are for OS+Cal and cloning.

While it is unlikely that the app will have an issue this a possibility a flash may fail. That doesn't mean the PCM is really bricked it just means I'd need to work with the person 1 on 1 to sort out what happened and what needs to be done to make the pcm functional again.

Fuel Injected!
    SO we have ways to read and write a pcm now.....next we'd need to be able to make changes to the file.

Flashing was what has been missing all along, there have always been ways to make changes to the file there just wasn't a lot of coverage. Well many others have been working on things behind the scene gambling with their time if this was actually going to happen this time around. A long standing member on this forum dusted off his keyboard several months ago and has been working on expanding coverage for tuner pro and has created a bunch of new XDF's adding a great deal of coverage to what we can now tune for free.

To keep this thread on track for things flashing related here is the link to the newly developed XDF's
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...d-is-TunerPro)

It's people like LRT that we are going to relying on to expand tuning coverage so make sure you show him some appreciation for the work he's done.

We've still got a ways to go on the flashing software for PC and Android but I think the hardest parts are now behind us, for the first time ever people actually have a choice on how they want to flash a pcm and how much they want to sped doing it. With the Allpro firmware development Antus@Pcmhacking did last year; the cost to buy the hardware needed to flash a PCM is next to nothing. We went from no options to the cheapest computers out their to work with in less then a years time and I'm betting no one ever expected it to happen like this.

Fuel Injected!
    PCM Hammer Version 4 is ready for testing:
    https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/releases

The biggest improvement in this release is that the app will prevent you from writing if the operating system in the PCM doesn't match the operating system in the file you have selected.

If you run it while connected to the internet, it will check github for a new release. Ordinarily it will just say "Thank you for using PCM Hammer" when it starts up, but when we have a new release that will change to something like "Hey, we have a new release!"
    Last edited by NSFW; 01-18-2019 at 09:06 AM.