Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opensource LS Flashing(It's Closer Than You Think)

Fuel Injected!

Opensource LS Flashing(It's Closer Than You Think)

I never knew EagleMark but some of his old posts and information he had gathered on LS flashing and sites he had posted links to about flashing are what peaked my interest in flashing an LS pcm. It all started with an Elm 327 and I made remarkable progress with that but frankly I was in way over my head with stuff I didn't understand. So in desperation I posted what I had done on a couple of the LS focused websites and crossed my fingers I'd find people interested in what I was working on. Well it's been a bit of a bumpy ride but I've meet up with a couple other like minded people and as a collective group we had the knowledge it was going to take. The Elm327 was ditched in favor of something much more robust but a bit unorthodox. Well we've successfully gotten a BIN read out of both the 411 and 1mb pcm's.

This ones for Mark..........his work has inspired others to pick up where he left off

The data, software and hardware is being sorted and will be made public on GitHub as it becomes stable and in a usable state while we continue refining the whole process. Opensource flashing is almost here, it's just taken finding the right people that could bring the needed skillset's to the project to make all of this happen.

Thaniel - The Arduino Mastermind behind the heart of all this. Your work here is unparalleled, you've turned what many would consider a toy into a force to be reckoned with.

Garret - Your work on the VPW side of all this has been pure genius. It still blows my mind that you've made this work with out any type of commercial hardware interface..... WELL DONE ! ! ! ! ! !

NSFW - I know some of the software requests I given you seemed a bit "Out There" at the time but with out them none of this would have been possible. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the rest of the project.

Antus - I know I didn't do any of the thing you told me to....and that you were never really interested in this project but with out your help this would have died months ago.

Tazzi - I'm going to call you my inspiration..... that kept me believing this was possible..... even when I questioned my self asking if an Opensource flash was really worth so much of a headache at times
    Dimented24x7 - The work you left behind for others has been a tremendous help though out all of this and continues to help as we move forward and start working on writing a flash as our next step.

EagleMark (R I P) - It's an honor to have found your work and been able to pick up where you left off....I will do my best to see that this is finished.
    Lost....... but not forgotten your dream will live on for years to come.

Pcmhacking.net - #1 source on the Web for anything thing related to hacking apart a GM/Holden Pcm.

Gearhead-EFI.com - This site may hold the largest collections of data related to pcm flashing that I have ever come across.

Ls1tech.com - Best place to find Gearheads on the Net

I would like to ask that you give these guys a round of applause......

The official thread I will be keeping updated in the coming months as our work progresses can be found here:
    https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...l#post19836978
    Last edited by PeteS; 02-20-2018 at 01:16 AM.

Administrator
    Wow. Thank you for all the effort. A low cost solution to this problem is long overdue.

Any plans to make this work with other pcms?

Fuel Injected!
    At this point in time were just focused on finishing the current project before thinking about anything else. There is still the matter of creating Xdf's for all of the 03+ stuff so that the bins can be used with tuner pro.

I personally got to know EagleMark.

What your "like minded" team has done would certainly make EagleMark SMILE!

Congrats to all your "like minded" team for what has been accomplished to date. I sense the "Snowball" of success is growing bigger and bigger.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Having built a few interfaces for similar things, this is no small feat. When are you planning to update us on the hardware needed to help with the software development? (I'm pretty good with designing/troubleshooting hardware...but you don't want me writing your code...it might work, but it ain't gonna be pretty.)

Fuel Injected!
    So I guess someone have done this software faster than I could :) I'm in the middle of work to create my own OBD2 reflash tool, I've had good progress with cheap ELM327 compatible hardware, I see no reason to build custom one. Maybe we could help each other finalize that :)

Great news ..kinda curious is this the same GitHub?

https://github.com/blog/2502-github-...nctuary-cities

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Great news ..kinda curious is this the same GitHub?

https://github.com/blog/2502-github-...nctuary-cities
    Our work on this can be found here. It's still being filled in as we sort out every thing. Trust me.... some of the information we have been sending around the group would make your head hurt just looking at it lol. We're slowing making it so others can understand what we did, how we did it and then be able to recreate it on their own.

Fuel Injected!
    What is the largest packet size you've been able to send? I personally have done quite a bit of work with the OBDLink MX. It has the largest buffer of any of the "Dongle" type interfaces I have come across.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Having built a few interfaces for similar things, this is no small feat. When are you planning to update us on the hardware needed to help with the software development? (I'm pretty good with designing/troubleshooting hardware...but you don't want me writing your code...it might work, but it ain't gonna be pretty.)
    Currently the hardware is pretty simple. It's 4 resistors, 1 diode and 1 optocoupler. All the magic is done in the Arduino code.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Currently the hardware is pretty simple. It's 4 resistors, 1 diode and 1 optocoupler. All the magic is done in the Arduino code.
    I was almost sure you had used some cheap vpw transiever like motorola 33990 or similar auto grade one.
    It is waste of time and effort to turn the arduino in software transiever when you can hook a simple piece of hardware to do it. Not sure how stable will be in car and off the bench test. Noise might be a big stability problem if software can`t compensate. Anyway big respect for the effort. I just want to express that it might not be the most economical approach.
    VPW is 0-7 volt signal, so I guess the needed hardware is to change the 0-5 volts on the Arduino tx-rx line.
    If you want to go cheaper and software only, ditch the Arduino and link the motorola transiever with 2$ usb to ttl and find a way to control the 4x switch.

The ELm is interesting and not the buffer but the main obstacle is that you cannot send hex data over it. You have to convert from ascii characters, and what a nightmare is to change the header.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    I

The ELm is interesting and not the buffer but the main obstacle is that you cannot send hex data over it. You have to convert from ascii characters, and what a nightmare is to change the header.
    Buffer size is the only limit I've ever found with the elm stuff. I've read and written Vin numbers,serial numbers,BCC codes even OS segment id codes with an elm type device in Android. I actually read a bin file out over Bluetooth with my phone last night.....trust me when i say buffer size IS it's biggest drawback. Reading 192 byte blocks takes forever

If your still stuck on the ascii to hex thing i'll give you a tip on an easy hack method I used before I learned how to change from base 10 to base16 to take care of it the conversion for me.

Write a function that does the conversion. Here's a super easy hack method. Set your input = to an output

0=0
    1=1
    5=5
    9=9
    A=42
    L=4C
    Q=51
    Etc.....

Yes the statement will be huge and its 100% hack method to do this but it works.

Store your variable
    Call the conversion function & store as a new variable
    send data from the new variable.

Like I said it's a total hack but it'll work.

Pm me if you'd like to discuss them elm in more depth

Fuel Injected!
    So you're keeping this under wraps...just like every other LS1 flash tool that has been done so far, except Dimented24x7's, it's all "free" until it's complete and works...then it's for sale.

HPTuners, EFILive, Antus's flash tool...all of them started right down the exact same "Yeah let's get this done for free" path you're on right now. And all of them said "it's too complicated, I'll release it for free when it's done."

I'm hopeful, and still willing to work on this, but won't be surprised when this comes out to be another few hundred dollar subscription, instead of a free flash tool.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    So you're keeping this under wraps...just like every other LS1 flash tool that has been done so far, except Dimented24x7's, it's all "free" until it's complete and works...then it's for sale.

HPTuners, EFILive, Antus's flash tool...all of them started right down the exact same "Yeah let's get this done for free" path you're on right now. And all of them said "it's too complicated, I'll release it for free when it's done."

I'm hopeful, and still willing to work on this, but won't be surprised when this comes out to be another few hundred dollar subscription, instead of a free flash tool.
    Here's some pepper to go with your salt

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks

Publishing every thing myself and others have done that lead down this path would be well over a year of collective information. Forgive us for not having that much data formatted and laid out for others to understand right away. There are a number of people involved in this project and every one has the same goal. What makes this different is that no one person holds all the information. Loosing one of the core would seriously hurt our work BUT every thing they have done has been shared with others and WILL be made public before this is all said and done. If this goes belly up before we finish out work you can be sure at least ONE of the people involved will throw EVERYTHING online regardless of how clearly it's formatted just so that all our work will have been for nothing. The idea was that others could finish what we started if we are unable to.

So..... no matter what happens SOMEONE WILL BE ABLE TO FINISHING THIS.

Fuel Injected!
    If you search for my alias in the RomRaider.com forums you'll find a handful of open-source projects for Subaru, from tuning utilities to a speed-density implementation that has since been ported (by someone else) to a bunch of other Subarus besides my own, and a rev-matching patch that is still a work-in-progress but is also up on GitHub for anyone who wants it. Everything I contribute to this effort will be open source as well.

I got involved in this effort a couple weeks ago because I bought a Corvette a few weeks ago. If you want to see the code I've written so far, it's all at the link PeteS just posted above. It's mostly just some simple dev utilities and a prototype that we're using to discuss the design of the real app, but hey... gotta start somewhere.

There are basically three main holdups right now.

1) The flash kernel we have now was written by a guy who can't be reached. He posts as Dimented24x7 on some other forums. His job takes him offline for long periods. We have permission to USE it, but nobody thought to ask for permission to post the source publicly before he left, and it wouldn't be right to share the source without that permission. But it works. So it will appear only in the form of a long string of bytes until he gives us his blessing to post the .asm files. (Or tell us to knock it off, in which case we'd just have to write a new one. But I don't think that's likely. And he did give us a nice reference to follow...)

2) We want an interface that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The proof-of-concept uses an AVT interface, but it's hard to come by and rather expensive. PeteS mentioned the Arduino project, that's got great potential. Hopefully it will be up on GitHub soon as well, but that's up to the guy who is developing it. I also just ordered a Scantools SX in hopes that we can make it work. If anyone else wants to pitch in with a better / cheaper / faster interface, that would be fantastic!

3) The existing app needs to be rewritten for maintainability, flexibility (it's too tightly coupled to the AVT interface), and reliability. That's where I'm focusing my time.

This will be open source when we're done. Parts might not be open source at first, but that just means that we're not done.