Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opensource LS Flashing(It's Closer Than You Think)

Fuel Injected!
    I was looking for some flash chips and stumble upon this link.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LS1-PCM-...-/162108316648

The interface resembles one of the free ls1 flash tools released recently, but a later version. And the cable is some custom made one with a controller and some transistors.

I hope this thread doesn`t end that way.

Fuel Injected!
    That tool does look awfully familiar...one if the gents down under...
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    Trust me this won't end up that way......or be nearly as big of a disappointment.

He really should update the screen shots as well, the program is has been at V1.18 for a couple of years now. Someone in the US bought one of those and found out it was incompatible with a great deal of the OS's used here in V1.17 of the program.......

A lot of people were unknowingly supplying information that was used to make that program.....it was a good reason that so many people stopped working on similar projects and were very skeptical to help anyone else that was working on the same type of project. But I think were past that point now

Fuel Injected!
    Well this is awsome! I have not been to this site in a long while. I went back and forth with Dimented way back when he was figuring out the first flash tool. Got an AVT cable and did some testing. I can probably help out with the XDF side of things. Its been a while though. Gotta hit that other thread and see whats going on.

Carb and Points!
    i may be shooting in the wind here but have you looked at the macchina M2 at www.macchina.cc its suports all obd2 protocall i bought one a few weeks ago but lack the wits to use it its arduino due based

Carb and Points!
    just hoping to help out on finding fairly cheap hardware interface

Fuel Injected!
    It has been looked at and isn't even close to being up to the task. Currently there are 5 interface's being considered for support. It's very likely this project will not be tied to one specific device like you might expect. Cheaper hardware will work no diffrent then high end devices like the Avt-852. The only thing that would change is how fast a given device takes to do the same thing. What takes 2 minutes to complete with one may take 10 minuites with another one. Users will be able to decide what's more valuable to them, time it takes to flash or how much the hardware costs.

Carb and Points!
    i understand well i got 5 cardaq j2534 passthrough devices laying around if any of those could be of use id like to see a opensource flash program one day that could be configured pretty easy with a few drivers for multiple devices thanks for info on macchina ill put i up in the drawer as a play around device

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine View Post
    i understand well i got 5 cardaq j2534 passthrough devices laying around if any of those could be of use id like to see a opensource flash program one day that could be configured pretty easy with a few drivers for multiple devices thanks for info on macchina ill put i up in the drawer as a play around device
    A j2534 device is on the list. In theory it should be compatible with all J tools when it's done but since this is a gray area that no one has tried yet it's hard to say for sure. The J tool being considered is the VXdiag Nano.

Fuel Injected!
    Edited...

So my first thought was, that's awesome. At the very least I'm sure we can use it as an interface device. This thing has a ton more potential beyond that, though. I'm getting one.

But then I saw what Pete wrote about this thing not being up to the job. That's a bummer. :( We'll have to keep an eye on it though. If they add what we need for reflashing, that thing could be great.

Are they missing 4x support? Or does VPW just not work right at all?
    Last edited by NSFW; 03-11-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I just read on their forum that they got 1x VPW working late last year, but I don't see anything about 4x. It's a start... Definitely something to keep an eye on.

...and I just looked at the code they have to support 1x VPW, and it has a message length limit of 12 bytes, including the CRC byte. That might be easy to change (just bump the "12" limit to "2000" and see what happens) but it might not (bad things could happen).

It's still pretty intriguing though, I'm sure the hardware they're using is more than capable of high speed and large messages. If someone takes care of the firmware I'll gladly add support for this thing in the app.
    Last edited by NSFW; 03-11-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: I looked into their code...

Fuel Injected!
    Lots of work has been going on. Ardunio is now able to read data in 4x mode with 4K blocks no trouble. Still working on the transmit side of things.

Arduino code and diagram for 1x is on the github project now. No flash kernel is provided since we still don't have one we can share....but soon we will.

Nsfw, Antus and Tazzi have been doing some serious work on the software side of things. Wheels are still rolling on this.

Fuel Injected!
    Yep, were getting somewhere with it. Lots of hardware drivers work, basic functionality in place. All code so far is up on github, and pulling basic data from pcm + vinchange is working on all ELM compatible type devices with long packet support (thats scantool, allpro with custom firmware), avt 852 (842 untested, but should work) and Tazzi's J2534 driver is working in his hardware and ive tested on GM MDI. Bridging the differences between ASCII encoded hex (ELM style) and binary streams (AVT and J2534) was a bit of a challenge but we got that under control so the app core can just send Message data and let the layers under that deal with it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by antus View Post
    Yep, were getting somewhere with it. Lots of hardware drivers work, basic functionality in place. All code so far is up on github, and pulling basic data from pcm + vinchange is working on all ELM compatible type devices with long packet support (thats scantool, allpro with custom firmware), avt 852 (842 untested, but should work) and Tazzi's J2534 driver is working in his hardware and ive tested on GM MDI. Bridging the differences between ASCII encoded hex (ELM style) and binary streams (AVT and J2534) was a bit of a challenge but we got that under control so the app core can just send Message data and let the layers under that deal with it.
    Add the VxDiag Nano to that list of J tools as well

Fuel Injected!
    I can get you any vpw factory flash write routine + basic commands list and seed/key algo number by a vin number.
    The offset address the bin starts and the chunk size.
    All you have to do is figure where in the ram the routine is loaded and if some of the stuff is overwritten.

Gm even assigns them a part number, so you can make a list based on car, model, pcm used.
    I compare two flash routines for 1mb pcm and it was 1 byte difference/2004 y-body vs 2005 truck/. It could be intel vs amd flash.
    Does intel /amd pcm have different hardware part numbers.