Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 Tbi Vortec tune.

Fuel Injected!

5.7 Tbi Vortec tune.

Ok been tuning my newly build engine and have the tune in the ballpark. I am putting my Bin up as a start point for those who wish to use it as a start point for there build.
    Engine specs are as follows
    350 bottom end with a 395 GM cam (no advance or retard)
    Vortec Heads with 1.5 ratio roller tip rockers
    Static compression ratio 9.8-1
    GM vortec to TBI inlet manifold bored out too 2"
    Holley TBI with 65lb injectors
    Fuel is our standard Australian 91 ron
    ECM 16197427
    Base tune Eprom BJYL

Hope it helps some one who has as similar set up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    Thanks you bin worked on my s10

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith74 View Post
    Ok been tuning my newly build engine and have the tune in the ballpark. I am putting my Bin up as a start point for those who wish to use it as a start point for there build.
    Engine specs are as follows
    350 bottom end with a 395 GM cam (no advance or retard)
    Vortec Heads with 1.5 ratio roller tip rockers
    Static compression ratio 9.8-1
    GM vortec to TBI inlet manifold bored out too 2"
    Holley TBI with 65lb injectors
    Fuel is our standard Australian 91 ron
    ECM 16197427
    Base tune Eprom BJYL

Hope it helps some one who has as similar set up.
    I had a very similar setup in my Express van except it had the L31 Marine intake. Great engine for low-end power but couldn't pass a dump truck on the highway with that cam even with 1.7 rockers. Dumped that cam for the GMPP 357 HP SPO 350 crate engine cam. If you someday decide you want more power the SPO cam is worth about 50-60 HP at redline over the 395' cam with nearly no change in low-end torque. My converter stalled 2,700 rpm with the 395' cam and about 2,800 with the SPO cam. So noticeably more powerful even that low in the RPM range.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-25-2018 at 05:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny's S10 E.F.I.v8 View Post
    Thanks you bin worked on my s10
    That's great Danny, glad it helped.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I had a very similar setup in my Express van except it had the L31 Marine intake. Great engine for low-end power but couldn't pass a dump truck on the highway with that cam even with 1.7 rockers. Dumped that cam for the GMPP 357 HP SPO 350 crate engine cam. If you someday decide you want more power the SPO cam is worth about 50-60 HP at redline over the 395' cam with nearly no change in low-end torque. My converter stalled 2,700 rpm with the 395' cam and about 2,800 with the SPO cam. So noticeably more powerful even that low in the RPM range.
    Good info bud, the 395 cam in my set up seems to haul ass from 1200 to 4500 rpm. no trouble overtaking a low end torque is good but still tuning to get it perfect, A dyno would be nice now.

Fuel Injected!
    Good info bud, the 395 cam in my set up seems to haul ass from 1200 to 4500 rpm. no trouble overtaking a low end torque is good but still tuning to get it perfect, A dyno would be nice now.
    Mine hauled ass pretty good and the dyno showed it made peak torque of 303 at 3,400 rpm and peak HP of 230 in the 4,400 rpm range on gasoline. With the weak stock valve springs it held a very flat HP curve to about 5,200 rpm then absolutely nose dived. I had an oversight in the build and used 2.02/1.60 valves that were .100" longer than stock. The Vortec springs only had about 60# pressure on the seat. Changing the springs and retainers brought my peaks to 3,200 and 4,700 with a nearly flat HP curve to about 5,500 rpm. E85 allowed me to run more timing and brought the peak TQ down to 2,900 rpm. I was making 340 tq and 270 hp at the wheels through a 4L85E and 9.5" 14-bolt. I could overtake fine but I was talking about how quickly the power falls off and comparing how much more lively the thing is with the new cam in the 4,500-6,000 rpm range. With the new cam even with my 4.56 gears I can still catch the top of 2nd and haul ass at 70 mph on a WOT kickdown.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-25-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    50-60hp gain at redline.

Whats your redline set at?

peace
    Hog

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    50-60hp gain at redline.

Whats your redline set at?

peace
    Hog
    5,600 rpm is what I was quoting as redline.

I built a similar 9.7:1 Vortec TBI 357 several years ago. And I've been pretty underwhelmed with it. I've got the tune pretty well sorted, but it just doesn't seem to have the power it's supposed to. I've kinda chalked it up to the heavy 5spd.

Keith, I searched your 395 cam and I'm getting:
    Duration at 050 inch Lift: 196 int./206 exh
    Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.431 int./0.451 exh.
    ...which doesn't sound too much different than the LT1 roller cam I stuck in mine.

Fast, GMPP 357 shows:
    Camshaft Lift (in.): 0.473” intake / 0.473” exhaust
    Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 215° intake / 223° exhaust
    ...so a fair bit more duration and a little more lift. With my stock Vortecs it will definitely need a valvespring change.

Maybe that would be a nice upgrade to try.

BTW Keith, my wife and I vacationed in Australia last year. Brisbane and the beaches for the wife and Port Lincoln with the great whites for me. Best trip I've ever had. We're planning to hit Sydney and Perth next time around for Summernats or Powercrusie. What part are you from?
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post
    I built a similar 9.7:1 Vortec TBI 357 several years ago. And I've been pretty underwhelmed with it. I've got the tune pretty well sorted, but it just doesn't seem to have the power it's supposed to. I've kinda chalked it up to the heavy 5spd.

...which doesn't sound too much different than the LT1 roller cam I stuck in mine.

Fast, GMPP 357 shows:
    ...so a fair bit more duration and a little more lift. With my stock Vortecs it will definitely need a valvespring change.

BTW Keith, my wife and I vacationed in Australia last year. Brisbane and the beaches for the wife and Port Lincoln with the great whites for me. Best trip I've ever had. We're planning to hit Sydney and Perth next time around for Summernats or Powercrusie. What part are you from?
    F/Y car LT1 cam makes a good bit more power than the 395' cam does. I tried just about everything with my 395' cam to tet it to perform the way I wanted but ultimately to get what I wanted I had to change the cam.

You would not need to change the springs for lift but to reach the rev and power potential of that came it would be a wise thing to do especially if you have some miles on it. Drill out the pushrod holes to 1/2", swap on some LS6 springs and Comp 787 retainers and run some self aligning 1.6 full roller rockers. Would wake it up nicely.

I was recently in my old 350 yet again. Decided to roll new rod and main bearings into it due to an oil starvation/pressure problem I was having. I changed out the oil pump for a stock volume, high pressure 454 pump and corrected my windage tray oversight from the 5 qt pan change. Added a Milodon windage tray. Will let you'll know how it runs once I get the front end rebuilt, again.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-06-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    F/Y car LT1 cam makes a good bit more power than the 395' cam does. I tried just about everything with my 395' cam to tet it to perform the way I wanted but ultimately to get what I wanted I had to change the cam.

You would not need to change the springs for lift but to reach the rev and power potential of that came it would be a wise thing to do especially if you have some miles on it. Drill out the pushrod holes to 1/2", swap on some LS6 springs and Comp 787 retainers and run some self aligning 1.6 full roller rockers. Would wake it up nicely.

I was recently in my old 350 yet again. Decided to roll new rod and main bearings into it due to an oil starvation/pressure problem I was having. I changed out the oil pump for a stock volume, high pressure 454 pump and corrected my windage tray oversight from the 5 qt pan change. Added a Milodon windage tray. Will let you'll know how it runs once I get the front end rebuilt, again.
    @Fast355 Do you know off hand if those valve springs need to be shimmed to spec out seat pressure? I purchased a set of them springs and never installed them.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 03-08-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post

Fast, GMPP 357 shows:

Hi Woody,
    I live in Central Queensland just west of Rockhampton.
    Just curious as to what throttle body you are running with your set up?
    I could get more from my engine if I put a set of Extractors on but I have had endless amounts of trouble with the previous engine trying to keep them sealed so I have made of compromise with standard manifolds but suprisingly still impressed with the proformance.

Fuel Injected!
    The only headers I have had an issue with are the cheap ones with thin flanges. A quality header with a flange that is atleast 3/8" thick tends to hold up very well and not leak. The Doug Thorley Tri-Y's on my Express van have been on it 3 years. Never have had a gasket issue with them.

Fuel Injected!
    Yep thats great if your vehicle is left hand drive, the range is huge. Sadly these trucks are not that common here and having being converted to right hand drive the steering shaft runs inches from the the right hand head limiting the free space for a quality extractor set up.

Fuel Injected!
    Yep thats great if your vehicle is left hand drive, the range is huge. Sadly these trucks are not that common here and having being converted to right hand drive the steering shaft runs inches from the the right hand head limiting the free space for a quality extractor set up.
    Header selection for an Express van is also VERY limited. The ones on my setup are actually for a short bus based on a cutaway van. Very little room to fit headers in there, but Thorley did a great job with execution.

https://www.amazon.com/Doug-Thorley-...rley+bus+heade