Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a new engine...questions...

Fuel Injected!

Need a new engine...questions...

I haven't decided yet but need to soon. Currently have a 95 GMC K1500 stock 350. You should also know that I have full dual exhaust and no cat.
    Engine making horrible noise in crank case. Looking at possible rebuild or stock replacement or a newly rebuilt 96 Vortec 350 for ($1900). What kind of tuning hell will I be in if I went with the vortec and will it be worth the trouble? I would like to have some more power under the hood of the truck with decent mileage too. Do I get mine rebuilt for around the same amount as the other engine? I'm sure I'll need a new bin to get it to run decent too, right?

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

Bout time you posted up over here!

Not sure on all changes needed for the Vortec swap but we do have a 16197427 1996 Vortec TBI export bin here somewhere which has made the vortec head swap to TBI motor a lot easier.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Bout time you posted up over here!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Not sure on all changes needed for the Vortec swap but we do have a 16197427 1996 Vortec TBI export bin here somewhere which has made the vortec head swap to TBI motor a lot easier.
    Well I guess I will wait and see if anyone has some insight on it. I'm hoping soon too.
    Last edited by Rally Smith; 03-28-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Tuning a Vortec swap is like tuning an earlier SBC with better heads/cam.

There is information about stock Vortec tables, it seems that people start with the timing table as a necessity, but that's up to you.

If you go Vortec, just do yourself a favour, buy the Vortec spark plugs from the get go, don't even try to use the earlier SBC spark plugs. Been there.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Vortec heads are a lot of work on the hardware side. Press in studs, thin castings, guided rockers, specific intake, specific valve springs, etc.

TBI makes things a bit easier, but for the cost, I'd go with some other aftermarket Vortec replacement castings, or better yet, a "standard" SBC intake port/intake bolt pattern from an aftermarket company that has better ports and chamber than what you have now.

Tuning won't be hell if you've done it already. If you haven't, it will take some time, just depends how much time (and money!) you invest.

I did the vortec swap on my s10 although its only a 4.3. like mentioned earlier tuning spark is first as the timing for the tbi heads is about usless on vortecs. I used an eval copy of efilive and downloaded a .tun file for a 00 vortec 4.3 and copied the spark table as a base for my tune. I pitched the vortec intake for a carb intake and bought an adapter for the tbi. my other truck I am going to put a tbi on is a 355 vortec and I'm basically going to do the same thing as my 4.3.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    I think that I am going to try and rebuild my engine but get a different set of (non-Vortec) heads and better cam. Anyone have a recommendation on heads/cam/manifold package? I've done some looking but not finding much.

Thanks,

Come on? It's a small block Chevy the possibilities are endless. But putting the right combination together is crucial!

I'll have a set of 1995 LT1 iron heads and intake available shortly? The heads flow better then aluminum LT1 heads on Corvette... Still don't know if what I read about the intake being machined for distributor is possible or a theory I read?

EDIT: IIRC your not that far from me? Want a complete LT1 with harness and PCM? Needs rebuilt has a rod knock...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Smith View Post
    I think that I am going to try and rebuild my engine but get a different set of (non-Vortec) heads and better cam. Anyone have a recommendation on heads/cam/manifold package? I've done some looking but not finding much.

Thanks,
    Personally I'd talk to an experianced engine builder local to you where you can see the end result of some of thier work. anyone can talk the talk and give advice on a combo for you, but in the end unless you do the research to make sure what someone is suggesting will work together its a gamble. There is plenty of good and bad info out there on the internet about "winning" engine combo's. I like to look at the specs on performance crate engines for the basis of my builds. I also stay away from people posting that cant back up thier builds e.i. "if you do like I did and put a 292 cam and a tornado in your filter on a stock motor you'll get 600 RWHP".
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.

Fuel Injected!
    EagleMark, How much?

PJG1173, your right about that! Unfortunately the local engine guy here is a moron. They do fine machine work etc. They take off every TBI on every engine they rebuild and put on a carb. He's not exactly a electronic genius. I'll have him do the machining work on my block but that's about it. (I want to make a engine run stand to tune with) anyway, I'll have some more research to do before I can decide for sure.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Make a fair offer and come and get it. I'm not in parts business and don't have room to store all this stuff.

Just have to get my engine trans from wrecked Roadmaster wagon into Chevy Caprice wagon. These B body wagons are identical. Reflash PCM through ALDL port with WinFlash from TunerCat is simple and I have a nice XDF and ADX for TunerPro. Can take all harness you need with PCM from LT1 Buick and LT1 engine from Chevy complete even through in air filter, MAF tubing main wiring, fuse block etc... complete conversion package. If you want the 4l60E too, if not I have a guy intrested in trans but said it would go as package first.

I'll have engine and trans out, then work on harness or you can help, I have a guest room for the night.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well, due to funding issues. I think what I'm going to have to do is rebuild this stock engine.
    I'm looking at a comp cam XFI Xtreme Fuel Injection, 252XFI HR13: Cam & Kit or a Edelbrock PERFORMER RPM CAMSHAFT #3702.
    Debating porting/polishing my heads or is there a better head that I can get for cheap?
    Also looking at intake manifolds, any recommendation on those as well?

Thanks,

Well, due to funding issues. I think what I'm going to have to do is rebuild this stock engine.
    I'm looking at a comp cam XFI Xtreme Fuel Injection, 252XFI HR13: Cam & Kit or a Edelbrock PERFORMER RPM CAMSHAFT #3702.
    Debating porting/polishing my heads or is there a better head that I can get for cheap?
    Also looking at intake manifolds, any recommendation on those as well?

Thanks,
    don't waste your money on those heads they suck even after you port them. I tried, they worked alright but ultimately I switched to vortec heads. it took alot and I mean alot of grinding to get rid of the ramps in the intake bowls (one of the biggest flow restrictions).

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    don't waste your money on those heads they suck even after you port them. I tried, they worked alright but ultimately I switched to vortec heads. it took alot and I mean alot of grinding to get rid of the ramps in the intake bowls (one of the biggest flow restrictions).
    Well I don't want to go the Vortec way, so is there a better option for me other than that?

Fuel Injected!
    Well I don't want to go the Vortec way, so is there a better option for me other than that?
    I didn't spend ANY time searching for them, but I came up with this from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHS-12410-01/

Check these guys out too: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Not sure what happened with RHS, or maybe it's just Summit, but their heads are substantially more expensive than they were a few years back.

Honestly, if I was going to drop some $$, I'd spend it on heads before anything else. You can re-use them, they are the basis for a powerful, efficient motor, and truly rebuilding a set of stock heads to get anywhere near new (new valves, springs, retainers, locks, machining, etc) is going to set you back a few dollars itself.

If Mark has LT1 heads you can get your hands on, that might be a good choice, I know very little about them. I will say that the centerbolt valve covers are excellent for not leaking (I hate the old perimeter designs).

Personal choice, and heads ARE expensive. But the newer heads are just so much better than ANYTHING that came before them, it's a shame to spend money and effort on the old junk.