Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something is happening here

Summit had free shipping, so I went ahead and ordered it last night, along with a reducing adapter to connect its 4in inlet to my 3.5in intake tubing I have.
    Its 2.5in tall, and I have 3 1/4 to 3.5in clearance, so it should clear just fine. I'm gonna make my own adapter out of some extra steel plate I have laying around. Shouldnt be too hard.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I finally have a air filter!

I started out with the TB, I needed a way to mount the intake elbow I bought thats made for carbs. After seeing the "adapter" in one of the links posted here, I decided to make my own.
    I started out with a peice of 1/8 plate. Measured and cut it to set on the TB. 5-5/8 od, 3 11/16 id. Now it set on the lip of the TB, but not flush, I had to take my die grinder and bevel the edge of it just a bit cause the tb is not cut square, it has a slight radius to it. I then took and makred the "tabs" on the tb and then marked them on the ring. I then drilled the holes in the ring, and used the ring as a guide and drilled them in the tb. I then tapped the holes in the tb to 10-32 and used some round head machine screws to holt it down.
    Now I needed a way to hold down the elbow, since its made for carbs, it has a hole in the center. I took some 1/8x3/4 flat stock I had leftover from other projects, measured, marked, and heated and bent into a U shape. I then welded that to my plate, then marked and drilled the hole for the hold down bolt.
    Now I was ready, but still couldnt let something go. The round thin gasket that goes between the air filter housing and the original tbi throttle body had nothing to support it. It would probably be just fine, but I just couldnt let the though of it having a chance of a slightly uneven clamping force, and a part of it getting sucked in. So I took and sacraficed my old tbi air filter spacer and cut off the top "ring" of it, so I could have a support for the gasket. I sealed the adapter to the tb with a thin bead of rtv, and did the same for the gasket "ring' to the plate, basicly glueing the metal ring into place.

Elbow mounted!

I then measured, and cut the pipe and mounted everything. I wanted a little extra something to support the whole assembly, so I added a brace going to a un used hole in the power steering pump bracket, and then ran it up to the intake tube and attached a L bracket to the tube with a extra hose clamp and attached the brace to that.

Everything all complete and mounted!!

I need to build the "box" for it to help keep out some of the hot engine air, but thats for another day. Also the spot the filter is setting at, is where the coolant overflow tank used to be. SO I still need to reloacate it, or find another one thats smaller and easy to mount.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

now that looks nice. and you are using a 427 to control all this correct?

Very nice work and looks sweet!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by one92rs View Post
    now that looks nice. and you are using a 427 to control all this correct?
    Yep, 16197427 with all the MPFI mods done to it, the memcal, and the bin, following the zip file I got from here.

So does it run yet?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Banned
    What is happening.........be elaborate.