Thread: Newbie question - GM bin file for 4l80e?

Electronic Ignition!

Newbie question - GM bin file for 5.7 tbi vortec with 4l80e?

Hey ya'll,
    I'm new here but I've been researching tuning on this forum and others for a few months trying to get the basics before I start attempting to tune my truck. I installed an engine from a 1997 GMC Yukon a few months back. I had read some forums and they seemed to be giving different opinions on how important it is to tune for a TBI 5.7 Vortec swap. Some said they did the swap without a tune and had no issues, others said the swap required a tune to get it to run anywhere near decently. My old and tired TBI 5.7 engine (315k mi, pulling gooseneck all the way.... hard to complain about that!) gave up the ghost and I was limited on funds so I had to do the swap without getting a tune. Initially it ran pretty well so I thought I was one of the lucky ones... BUT then the issues started rearing their ugly heads over and over. Since it had run so well the first week or so after the swap I thought that maybe I had other things going on, such as cheap sensors, etc (I put all new sensors on when I did the swap but because of the aforementioned limited funds I went with the local parts store el cheapo sensors). I was still pretty cash poor so I replaced the sensors more than once with more of the same cheap sensors until I read on several posts that these trucks don't seem to like anything but ACDelco (or OE equivalent). So I then replaced all with the OE stuff hoping that was the main issue. It is running better with them than the crap from the local stores but I still have issues with advance and fuel. It's pretty intermittent... some days it runs GREAT but most days it is barely driveable and still others it seem like she's gonna lay down and die on me for good. so after more and more research I decided to bite the bullet and buy what I need to try to tune her properly.

I've received the cables, adapter, and burner from Moates about a week ago and I have been looking for a good starting .bin file to get going on the tune but I've had some trouble finding one that I think may work with my set up. There are some that seem fairly close but this is my daily driver and I work in construction so I'm worried that I'll end up not being able to drive it for longer than I can afford so I wanted to pick the brains of all the tuning veterans on here (man, a lot of ya'll really knjow your stuff!).

A little background info on myself: I'm not computer illiterate at all. My degree is in I.T.... more hardware and networking than programming but I have a good working knowledge of software, however tuning does seem to be a bit outside my knowledge base (although I'm learning!). Also, I've been a shade-tree (by that I mean self-taught, not necessarily incompetent) mechanic for my whole life and have built some pretty decent machines over the years but I've usually stuck with carbs and non-electronic transmissions. All my injected vehicles have been pretty stock up to this point and I've never had issues with repairing/maintaining them. I'm the guy that all of my friends call to work on their cars and even send their friends to when they have car issues and I have yet to have any complaints! (although occasionally it's dumb luck lol)

Anyway, here's what I'm working with:

1995 GMC K2500HD
    Originally 5.7 TBI, now 5.7 Vortec from a 97 Yukon with All the original TBI setup from 95.
    Jegs dual plane intake (believe to be an edelbrock clone) with carb-tbi adapter
    Shorty headers
    Summit Distrib with melanized gear for roller cam ( stock cam in the vortec)
    TBI unit with the mods from TBIchips site
    Fuel pump replaced with one from 454 gm truck reading 14psi just before the regulator (a bit low, I know. Haven't been able to get it to read any higher which is a bit surprising)
    4L80E Trans
    All new ACDelco or OE equiv sensors
    Lots of extra grounds
    4.10 rearend
    New vacuum lines all around, no vac leaks, pulling 21" vac at idle steady

I've seen some bin files for the 4l60 but haven't seen one that says 4l80... not sure if they are similar enough.

Any help ya'll can give would be greatly appreciated!!! I've gotta get this beast running right again.

Thanks in advance!!

ECM Has two labels on it : serv no 16197427 BNKM and second label says 16213475 BNKM
    Last edited by jalatl; 01-17-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I would keep the BNKM and if you find something that you think is better for the vortec, then modify the bnkm engine side to be what you want. The reason is that the bnkm will be best for your transmission. Do not use a OD on your 80e.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, will do. Thanks for the reply! I didn't even know what the bnkm was for on the label but thought it may be important for the thread lol. Do you know of any .bin's that I could start from for my setup? I figure since I'm new at tuning the least amount of initial changes necessary would be the best route to go. Or if it's easier to use my stock .bin and make a few mods in tunerpro any advice on that would be welcome as well!

Fuel Injected!
    I only have 454 and no vortec so can't help there. There has been a number of threads here about the differences with vortec. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in. Probably would be helpful if you could do a data log with your moates stuff and tuner pro
    Last edited by myburb; 01-17-2018 at 02:06 AM.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Fuel Injected!
    No where in the know but I did come across this thread that may be of some help.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...nsure-what-bin

Fuel Injected!
    Without a Vortec spark map, bro experienced some drivability issues. Cut and paste Vortec spark table was like night and day!

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the replies guys! That link looks helpful. How can i find the spark table for the vortec? Weather here has been nasty, gonna try to get the truck timed perfectly this weekend. I bought a piston stop tool since I no longer have the timing tab on the new engine. Once I do that I'll post the logging results. Anyone know if I need to keep my base timing at 0 degrees or if I need to advance/retard timing to make the vortec work with this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by jalatl View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! That link looks helpful. How can i find the spark table for the vortec? Weather here has been nasty, gonna try to get the truck timed perfectly this weekend. I bought a piston stop tool since I no longer have the timing tab on the new engine. Once I do that I'll post the logging results. Anyone know if I need to keep my base timing at 0 degrees or if I need to advance/retard timing to make the vortec work with this setup?
    I posted an excel spreadsheet with the Vortec timing table here:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Throttle-ONLY!

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    That's awesome. Thanks!! Hoping to give it a try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before I get it right lol

Electronic Ignition!
    So, I'm thinking the best route is to copy my .bin and adjust the timing tables in tunerpro with the above spreadsheet. I forgot to mention there is no EGR port on the new intake so I need to delete or modify those parameters as well? I currently have the EGR solenoid plugged in but would like to remove if possible. Other than timing and EGR modifications are there other things that I should modify in the bin to start with? Before I burn anything I will post the log and see what yall think... just trying to get ahead of the game a bit.