Thread: Hello everyone

Carb and Points!

Hello everyone

My name is Ronnie. I'm in the Army and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have quite a few projects: I have a 1976 C-10. It's an all original 3 owner truck. It runs pretty good, it was just used in a movie that was filmed in Savannah, GA. The movie, Galveston, should be out sometime in the near future. I'm playing with the idea of swapping in an LS platform. I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy wagon I'm working on. It is right hand drive, from Japan. I have the turbo drivetrain out of a 2005 Legacy GT that I'm going to build and put in it. I also have a 1972 Datsun 620 pickup. It's from Yohohama, Japan but it's a left hand drive. I was initially going to put an LS in it and make it a drift truck, but I think I'm going to keep it original. The motor starts with starting fluid, but it needs a bit of work to get back on the road.

The project I'm working on right now is my daughter's 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer. I rebuilt the motor in it and got a little carried away. We went with a Speed Pro CS-1014R cam (Duration @ .050: Intake – 204 Exhaust – 214), 062 Vortec 5.7 heads and Summit Racing intake to adapt to the throttle body. This is the first TBI I've messed with. I figured I'd have to upgrade the injectors, but I didn't know I needed to modify the TBI to support the upgrades. I also new it would need a tune, but didn't think that would be as big a deal as it has been. All this isn't that big of a deal, except that I dropped the motor in 2 weeks before I deployed. I knew I was cutting it close, but figured my daughter would be driving it while I was gone. It starts and idles fine, but hesitates and backfires when you drive it. It's ok as long as you baby it, but you can get mid-throttle without it acting up. I've been doing some research and am hoping that upgrading the fuel pump, upgrading the throttle body through RV Morse and tuning it will fix the issues. I cannot find anyone that can tune and I've heard mixed reviews about TBI chips. I've never tuned myself, but am not against learning. From your experience, should I purchase the hardware and software and attempt to learn tuning or go with a custom chip from TBI Chips? I would appreciate anyone's feedback and I look forward to researching these pages!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo11 View Post
    My name is Ronnie. I'm in the Army and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have quite a few projects: I have a 1976 C-10. It's an all original 3 owner truck. It runs pretty good, it was just used in a movie that was filmed in Savannah, GA. The movie, Galveston, should be out sometime in the near future. I'm playing with the idea of swapping in an LS platform. I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy wagon I'm working on. It is right hand drive, from Japan. I have the turbo drivetrain out of a 2005 Legacy GT that I'm going to build and put in it. I also have a 1972 Datsun 620 pickup. It's from Yohohama, Japan but it's a left hand drive. I was initially going to put an LS in it and make it a drift truck, but I think I'm going to keep it original. The motor starts with starting fluid, but it needs a bit of work to get back on the road.

The project I'm working on right now is my daughter's 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer. I rebuilt the motor in it and got a little carried away. We went with a Speed Pro CS-1014R cam (Duration @ .050: Intake – 204 Exhaust – 214), 062 Vortec 5.7 heads and Summit Racing intake to adapt to the throttle body. This is the first TBI I've messed with. I figured I'd have to upgrade the injectors, but I didn't know I needed to modify the TBI to support the upgrades. I also new it would need a tune, but didn't think that would be as big a deal as it has been. All this isn't that big of a deal, except that I dropped the motor in 2 weeks before I deployed. I knew I was cutting it close, but figured my daughter would be driving it while I was gone. It starts and idles fine, but hesitates and backfires when you drive it. It's ok as long as you baby it, but you can get mid-throttle without it acting up. I've been doing some research and am hoping that upgrading the fuel pump, upgrading the throttle body through RV Morse and tuning it will fix the issues. I cannot find anyone that can tune and I've heard mixed reviews about TBI chips. I've never tuned myself, but am not against learning. From your experience, should I purchase the hardware and software and attempt to learn tuning or go with a custom chip from TBI Chips? I would appreciate anyone's feedback and I look forward to researching these pages!
    I strongly recommend that you don't use tbi chips. Search this forum for posts to understand why. If you want something that works, get Dave at old school efi through this site to build you a starter chip, then tune it with his help. You will be way more satisfied. Thank you for your service.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 01-11-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!