Thread: 383 tuning help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    The prongs on the chips are very thin and I tended to get one bent trying to put it in. The zif allowes you to just drop the chip in and flip the lever and you are done. If you want to get the tune really good you will tweak and data log a LOTA LOTA times. The only problem with the zif is it makes the chip sit up higher. Moates does have a low profile zif. What some do is use the zif while you are tuning and when you get the tune done then you can carefully insert the chip without the zif and then the cover on the case will fit ok. That adapter you have looks like it does a similar job to the g1. With the g1 you retain your limp. Not sure if yours does.
    This ^^^

I originally started with the low profile zif for the sake of the low profile and cover clearance, what I found was that I was R&R'ing the chip so much that the lesser quality and more difficult lever operation was causing some grief so I went with the higher profile / quality zif with the metal lever, sooooooo much better !
    With the taller zif the chip guides into place very easy and the large lever is easy to lock even with my gigantic fingers.
    I can reach down and remove the chip without leaving the captain's chair.

I will someday put the low profile one back in and the cover on but I still find I like the ease of pulling / installing the chip and still play with the tune even after getting it REALLY good. (I never leave thing's "well enough", got to have tinker-time)

1 year ago I didn't even know this tuning was possible, now I am comfortable with what I do. I will say that based on the steep learning curve I am glad I went simple and didn't go the APU1 route. For me, stopping and pulling the chip and re-burning a change is close enough to "on the fly real time tuning".
    Last edited by dktool; 01-06-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Dean