Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ohio!

Carb and Points!

Hello from Ohio!

Hello everyone, finally joined the forum after lurking on and off for a few years and a few different trucks. Figured it was finally time to join. I have a 93 k2500 suburban with a 350 tbi and 4l80e. I have vortec heads and a lt1 roller cam for it. Just need someone who can tune it besides a common tuner that everyone directs you too, but seems to hate lol. Thanks! Have a great day.
    1993 K2500 Suburban
    350TBI/4l80e

Carb and Points!
    Hello in Ohio, From Wa. state. I'm new to this site also. I have a similar setup as you 91 k1500 355 tbi vortec heads gm perf parts intake, bored throttle body, LT1 cam & hedman long tube headers. runs well on stock prom & ecm. I'm going to try a hypertech thermomaster prom. would rather burn my own chip with a tuner pro.so i'm hoping to learn what changes to stock mapping I can make from experienced folks on this site. Thank You!

Fuel Injected!
    New here also with a little jump on you guys..I have a 94 that I’m trying to sort out..383 that runs ok but I think its lacking power...Also looking for some help...Good folks here for sure!!!

Carb and Points!
    I'm suprised to hear you say it runs good with the vortec heads and lt1 cam with no tuning yet. Everyone else I've spoken to says they won't hardly run at all.
    1993 K2500 Suburban
    350TBI/4l80e

Carb and Points!
    Follow up on runs well. At the time of the rebuilding my motor. I got a throttle body spacer & adjustable fuel press. regulator. set f/p to 13 psi also set initial timing to 14* it ran decent. a couple months later I ordered a ported throttle body, from a place in Texas, on eBay. That really helped mid range & top end power. I also noticed improved fuel mileage when cruising on the freeway.

Fuel Injected!
    I may be wrong but I would say your improved fuel mileage is because your running leaner than you should..you check AFR
    At WOT?

Carb and Points!
    Do you ever tow with it? I'm really looking for more power while I tow my 8k pound trailer.
    1993 K2500 Suburban
    350TBI/4l80e

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badeagle View Post
    Do you ever tow with it? I'm really looking for more power while I tow my 8k pound trailer.
    I was thinking the increase in fuel economy was less throttle plate angle, lower tps value etc. I never hear it ping/detonate. I recently towed a 1976 ford van on a car trailer. So combined weight is 6000-7000 lbs. I' guessing. I manual shift, low gear & floor it especially on uphill on ramps shift at about 5K. Once you get the mass going it's not so bad LOL

Carb and Points!
    Haha. I have a 4l80e so my first gear sucks. I haul water tanks for my pressure washing business. About 700 gallons. It pulls alot different than anything else I've towed. Just trying to get it rolling from a stop can be a struggle in some of Ohio hills.
    1993 K2500 Suburban
    350TBI/4l80e

Carb and Points!
    I can relate. The stock cam & high swirl heads gave it more low end grunt! If we could go back in time ? I would have gone 383 3-3/4 crank

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Ohio
    I also have a suburban 95.
    I slamed mine with a 6 inch drop.
    Getting ready to put a torque arm in and rear disc brakes off my impala/caprice 9C1.
    I built my own BMR style 10 bolt cradle and will be installing some time this week.
    I am dropping an LT1 cam in mine as well.
    I have a customers corvette to do a Timing chain oil pump and distributor rebuild on tomorrow.
    So monday r so that will be out of the way.
    I am pulling the L05 out of my suburban and doing a complete reseal, LT-1 cam, HMV55 oil pump, heavy porting the stock heads ( yes they will flow it just takes a bit of machining). The trick on those heads is to make the siamese ports as close as possible. Last set I did flowed nicely once the web is cut down to 0.100 and the swirl ramp properly radiused I will take some pictures and share a post on how to get them to flow.
    I have a 4L60E in my suburban and I am putting a torque convertor out of a 4.3 V-8 to raise the stall from 1200 to 2100.
    The other thing most people mess up with the stock LT-1 cam is they put way to much valve spring.
    GM makes an orange colored beehive shaped valve spring that was never installed in any factory engine it was a part made for Hi reving Nascar engines back in the early 1990s. They are really cheap like 6 dollars each. The difference is they have a light weight seat pressure of 180LBS but they are not made of regular steel the material used on the ones I am speaking of have a much shorter stasis after pressure is removed and when they rebound. This allows a regular SBC valve like a 1.9 to open to .575 and handle 8500 before the float. The stock EST HEI or opti spark will run out of dwell time before you can get to that RPM. I use a CDI homebuilt triggered from the HEI reluctor or the optic spark cam signal.

So your first issue with tune.
    The LT-1 cam does not require a different memcal it has a 117 degree lobe center and the TBI will function fine.
    You do need to change your convertor to make use of the higher torque band.
    The other issue with the swap is the roller cam does sometimes false the knock sensor causing timing to be off.
    The headers will do this as well.
    This is why a lot of people are putting their timing up 14-16 degrees.
    2 ways to fix this
    one is to use the EST module from a 1984-91 corvette with the knock sensor from the same.
    The aluminum corvette heads also made more noise and the sensor is less sensitive.
    The other way is to use a pre 1984 distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance but wire the Pickup to your existing module and wire the coil leads to the distributor cap mounted coil or get a MSD HEI remote coil adapter.
    The computer will enriched the fuel when it fails to retard the timing enough to stop the false readings.
    Either way with stock pistons and Combustion chambers you want to set your timing at 33 degrees at 3000 rpm after 30 seconds soak time.
    This way your not breaking the top ring land under load or pulling up hill.

You should also do the mods to the TBI to make the best out of it.
    The stock TBI can be made to function fine as a 670CFM set up.
    Mods to the TBI are pretty simple
    1. Make sure that the throttle plates and shaft are not worn if so either rebush or replace the lower unit.
    2. Cut the ring and blend the upper side of the throttle plate.
    3. Knock out the fuel pressure regulator seal and adjust your fuel pressure to 16 LBS (I run mine at 18 LBS this makes the block learns force lean all the time. The ECM will start super rich and lean out as far as it will go so while driving you always get plenty of punch when yo hit the peddle. I did install a 95 impala fuel pump so you may want to do the same.)
    4. Install the 1/4 spacer beneath the injector head.
    5. Pay the 40 dollars for the JEGS salad bowl air cleaner mod.
    6. Tiewrap the injectors wires tightly to the top of the injector housing to clean up air flow around them.
    7. Only on the LT-1 cam raise the TBI with either a manifold dual plane with adapter or Performer EFI or a throttle body spacer 1".

Do not make the 7.4 liter TBI swap mistake it will run crappy.

On my burb I have tri-Y headers and Zoomies so I do not have enough back pressure for the MAP to change when my EGR valve is opened then closed so it sets a CEL 32.
    I am going a different route and making a circuit that provides the EGR test sequence the desired MAP change.

Another big mistake made by older guys is the old 160 thermostat and old Hypertech chips designed to use the 160 tune.
    The fuel at the pump almost always is not gasoline today.
    The motor fuel is now up to 10% alcohol so it is gasohol.
    If you run your engine at 160 with gasohol you will have issues with soot in your oil.
    The alcohol emulsifies water with fuel and with your oil and if the engine does not run at least 180F it will not burn off.

On our old trucks you get more of a rear wheel power gain by converting to electric fan than you will out of the 160 mods.
    Last edited by daveosx; 01-06-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Avatar is my motor 800 RPM 184ft Lbs Torque 18 inches x 18 inches x 9 inches thick external combustion engine.

98 WS-6 full tube chassis rally car Aluminum Block LS2 (soon to be LSX 376)(in Storage)
    95 Suburban 6 inch drop, Pioneer DVD in Dash 5.7 TBI, 220cc 2.02x1.60 64cc heads, Stainless longtube headers 2.5 crossover 3 inch exhaust, LT-4 roller cam.
    2002 Seville STS

Fuel Injected!

Supertrap

Would Supertrap Discs help with the low end torque issue that comes with the vortex heads swapped onto L05 SBC?
    http://supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=27
    Avatar is my motor 800 RPM 184ft Lbs Torque 18 inches x 18 inches x 9 inches thick external combustion engine.

98 WS-6 full tube chassis rally car Aluminum Block LS2 (soon to be LSX 376)(in Storage)
    95 Suburban 6 inch drop, Pioneer DVD in Dash 5.7 TBI, 220cc 2.02x1.60 64cc heads, Stainless longtube headers 2.5 crossover 3 inch exhaust, LT-4 roller cam.
    2002 Seville STS

Carb and Points!
    Great follow up daveox, Hello Florida! A-lot of great info. The cool thing about this site is we share & learn. Tweak & adjust (Works in progress) Back at you. 1badeagle. If you are wondering weather to make the changes you mentioned in your first thread on this post? the answer is yes, Hell Yeah! I love my truck! I drive it daily. This morning I plugged in my old snap-on brick (scan tool) my block learn @ idle was 133 & at cruise was 117 the 160 t-stat I installed last weekend reads 142-145 on my scanner so I agree with daveox, not hot enough to burn the corn out of the fuel. 180*-200* would be better. As far as the LT1 cam, it is docile, my idle speed is 1500 rpm cold & 600 rpm warm, You can just barley hear it from the tailpipes warmed up. This combo gives you free spirited fun, a motor that pulls strong way past what the stock set up did. (no power past 3500 rpm) now 5000 easy. as far as heads the vortecs do have a smaller chamber 64cc & raise compression a bit. helps offset the cam,s pumping loss. I did not intend to discourage you in my previous thread. I have a 700R4 so when I tow something heavy I put my shifter in 1ST to wind up the motor into it's happy torque range & it does fine, it's just the power band is about a grand higher. But it's strong there. I tow about 1% of the time. If I towed 50% or wanted to make a dedicated tow rig out of my truck I would have gone 383 ported the stock high swirl heads ( good info from daveox) & headbytes porting on youtube, I just found 2 mos. ago, I thought the factory high swirl heads were boat anchors, gave mine to the scrapper. But they do have some potential I see now. As far as t/b modifications, don't waste your money $246 ported t/b $35 t/b injector spacer & $35 more for the higher press regulator set-up

Carb and Points!
    There's a set up on eBay & a link on here about a high pressure tbi injector unit for $276 I believe. It has an adjustable vac. actuated regulator that you can adjust from 40 psi to 100 psi that seems to be the way to go, They offer a high press. pump that works with our stock 15 psi pumps it's a frame mounted pump. So do your mods, move your trailer, keep on pressure washing, And keep on trucking brother. The stock ecm & memcal will work. I feel like mine is @ 80% I'm wanting to tune it to 100% p.s. everybody that rides in my truck. goes damn this thing runs good!

Fuel Injected!
    I was thinking about the spare fuel pump from my impala that I installed on my suburban.
    The part number is AC DELCO EP376 Jegs
    Like all good discoveries I was broken down at my shop 5 miles from home with no fuel pressure at 3 AM my wife in NY, Cell phone dead sunday morning.
    So with 20 Gallons in my tank I dropped it and tried what I had on hand it works great.
    I have also installed the same pump on a 1984 crossfire corvette.
    Not sure why it does not overwhelm the pressure regulator but I can get a fuel range of adjustment from 6 PSI to 22 PSI tested with no cavitation, no Aeration, however on the Vette it has a clogged like a brick charcoal canister and will increase the pressure in the tank and go full rich. I am not sure exactly why but on the Vette gas cap off no problem just figuring it is the charcoal canister clogged will be replacing it shortly. On fiberglass bodied cars not a good idea to vent fuel fumes under the hood or elsewhere.
    Charcoal canister is your friend. Also the little flapper for warm up on stock air cleaners will contain flash over fires on the corvettes. I would say that a marine flame arrester should be installed if you run a glass hood and after market air cleaner.

Good upgrade pump for TBI GM Vehicles AC DELCO EP376.

On the vette bottom end is stock I built and nylon bushed the throttle bodies and modified the exhaust free flow.
    I had the engine taching out to 7395 RPM with my ignition mods and a Microsquirt V3 no load.
    Soon as I stressed it on the street it jumped the timing chain.
    Putting a double roller and new oil pump in tomorrow when the parts come.

2002 Seville STS