Thread: 24 pin to 28 pin adapter (C3 ECMs)

24 pin to 28 pin adapter (C3 ECMs)

I'm needing to tune a 1614299 ECM soon, and have made an adapter for the use of the 27SF512 EEPROM, which is not an issue.

What I'm wondering is for anyone that has an AutoProm or Ostrich 2.0, have you had any problems plugging the emulator into the adapter (G2 from moates)?

I'm contemplating soldering the modified DIP socket right to the daughter board, instead of stacking sockets like I've done in the past.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I have a G2 soldered striaght to board and can plug my AutoProm cable directly into it. But I find it much easier to plug a Zif socket in and use while emulating. Also if soldered directly to board, when done, chip installed in G2 the cover will install, foam under cover touches chip but works fine. If you do it with dip sockets as described on Moates website the cover will never clear.

Alos IIRC 1614299 can be directly replaced with 1227747, look at 1614299 info thread.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I made my own G2 adapter, that is much shorter than the Moates version, I can stack it on a DIP socket and still have enough space to install the cover.

The truck is pretty mild, Corvette 5.7 (1984), headers and intake, with a 5-speed. He doesn't have 5.7 5-speed PROM, so I am making one for him, with some tweaks, I only want to go to the '7747, if I absolutely have to. For some reason he's concerned with changing too much. He's an older guy and doesn't even own a computer, so he really doesn't understand how this EFI stuff works, doesn't really care either, just as long as I can make it work for him.

My biggest concern is any damage to my Ostrich, if I need to plug it in, on top of the G2 style adapter. (pins 1,2,26,27,28 are shorted) I don't have any 24 pin DIP sockets, and not sure I'll find one by tomorrow, when I said I'd deliver the modified ECM and at least an initial tune.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I don't have an Ostrich but I plug my AutoProm into G2 adapters all the time?

-= =-

I use the Socket Booster with 24 pin chips. I think placing a 24 pin dip socket between the Ostrich 2 and the modifed adpter might help, this keeps pins 1,2 27, &28 from coming into contact with the shorted pins of the 28 pin adapter.

dave w

Yeah, I was thinking about the socket booster in this mix too. I'll pull them out and look at them a little closer.

Anybody have a wiring diagram for 1614299?

I can't get this one I have working properly on my bench with my '7747 harness. :/

I just went to look and was wrong on ECM number for direct swap... I was thinking this one...
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-99

-= =-

Yep, I've looked through and saved everything from that thread. ;)

I found the issue with the ECM not running right, it was a broken trace between the PROM location and the ribbon cable to the mother board. It works now on my test bench and communicates with Tuner Pro. I forgot just how slow the 160 baud stream was.

I also found a 24 pin DIP socket to use. I had to drive to Hamilton, about a half an hour away, but it's done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I also found a 24 pin DIP socket to use. I had to drive to Hamilton, about a half an hour away, but it's done now.
    I often overlook the fact that things I suggest are NOT in abundance, or available to others at all.

dave w

It was my lack of possession of the 24 pin DIP sockets that had me thinking about skipping it.