Thread: Whats Up Guys and Girls?

Carb and Points!

Whats Up Guys and Girls?

Im new here, obviously... Looking for Ford EFI help with tuning and aquiring BIN file info. Im working on my 1987 Ford Mustang 5.0. Its stock bottom 302 with cam, full smog and egr delete, electric fan and water pump, 1 5/8ths headers, 2 1/2" h pipe exuast with two 12" cherry bombs to dumps (sounds mean as fuck) 5 speed car looking for DA1 Speed density help... fill me with the knowledge needed, lol! Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Hi matt
    Not too much of a Ford guy but the principals are pretty universal.

If the 302 has forged pistons EGR delete is Ok but without EGR allows you to run more timing without breaking the rings on coast then access where it kicks in to cool the piston. The ford version of knock control will kick in more often with out EGR lowering timing and power.

The ford version of the GM HEI ignition is also a good idea.

Loose the electric water pump on a street car it tends to make you walk home.

The ford 302 like the LT-1 can get a scavenging effect at 3500 to 5200 rpm by using an X-pipe in the exhaust. I know on the LT-1 the distance from the back of the valve to the X-pipe is 52 inches. The exhaust pulses resonate in the 2.5 inch tube making HI and low pressure waves inside the tubes. If you color the pipe with crayon and run it under load you will see where the crayon color has melted and where it has burned off. Where the crayon is just melted it is a low pressure point in the standing wave. This is where the x-pipe goes. By tying the two pipes together at that point on cylinders pressure wave will draw out the next cylinders wave. This creates negative pressure at the back of the exhaust valve. When the valve opens you get a scavenge of the cylinder requiring less power to push the gas out and when the intake opens near the top you get more vacuums for the intake charge. This is sometimes called a miller cycle or Isky 5 th cycle. Works like 2-3 lbs of boost to increase cylinder fill at the narrow band of rpm that the exhaust resonates.
    This works exceptionally well for mustangs.
    I see it on some of the new stock mustangs now.

In florida we can run Zoomies And when I lowered my truck I had no room to get past the gas tank so I made and installed zooms with a pypes muffler.
    Last edited by daveosx; 01-08-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    Avatar is my motor 800 RPM 184ft Lbs Torque 18 inches x 18 inches x 9 inches thick external combustion engine.

98 WS-6 full tube chassis rally car Aluminum Block LS2 (soon to be LSX 376)(in Storage)
    95 Suburban 6 inch drop, Pioneer DVD in Dash 5.7 TBI, 220cc 2.02x1.60 64cc heads, Stainless longtube headers 2.5 crossover 3 inch exhaust, LT-4 roller cam.
    2002 Seville STS

Carb and Points!
    Thank You Dave!! You've certainly shed some light on some stuff, that I wasn't really aware of. Certainly didn't know all that about the Ford EGR stuff. I've had it deleted for quite some time now. I bought a little pill that plugs into the harness where the EGR did. It shuts down any and all CELs, I think... None show no matter what I do, maybe it had a check engine light for so long it burned out lol. So, The EGR a lot more than just return unburned gasses. Unfortunately, I'm at the point of no return for that. It probably povides my low octane retard and stuff huh? I really appreciate the info! I love to learn and this has certainly been quite the learning curve! Thank You for the input!!!

Fuel Injected!
    I have two friends with Fords
    Donny has a nice 67 mustang with an old school 302 that eats carbs. Third one in 2 years alcohol in the fuel. Working on his is how I learned about the change in motor fuel.
    Bob Rossi has a late 1990s street strip car with a keene bell blown 32 valve 4.6L? out of a Lincoln he built. I was over his shop a couple of years ago and saw two sets of odd cylinder heads from engines he had blasted the rings off. He has a 1/2inch steel line from his header to the cadillac EGR valve on his now.

Donny I have been talking into going with fuel injection.

I believe that engines that use longer power strokes like the 302 have greater piston heating than the free flow designs.
    Years ago I had a Mitsubishi Starion with K26 turbo,, to keep the pistons from melting I increased the size of the piston oilers to squirt heavy on the back side of the piston this dropped my ping rate way down and allowed more advance much more power.
    Avatar is my motor 800 RPM 184ft Lbs Torque 18 inches x 18 inches x 9 inches thick external combustion engine.

98 WS-6 full tube chassis rally car Aluminum Block LS2 (soon to be LSX 376)(in Storage)
    95 Suburban 6 inch drop, Pioneer DVD in Dash 5.7 TBI, 220cc 2.02x1.60 64cc heads, Stainless longtube headers 2.5 crossover 3 inch exhaust, LT-4 roller cam.
    2002 Seville STS