Thread: How to read .bin files in coding language

Carb and Points!

How to read .bin files in coding language

Hey, everyone, I'm new here and I was wondering if there was a way to open bin files and read them out in some sort of coding language. I have a bin file for my 2003 silverado LQ4 and I am curious and want to see how the PCM functions. Things like how fueling decisions are made. I'm not really interested in finding out where specific tables are, just the flow of things. Maybe if I understand how everything interacts, then I will be able to tune better. (Currently have HPtuners)

Thanks everyone!

You need a different software to read BIN files since HPT doesn't save as bin, only priprietary .hpt format which is encrypted.
    You can download bin files from here and use a disassembler to study the code.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    You need a different software to read BIN files since HPT doesn't save as bin, only priprietary .hpt format which is encrypted.
    You can download bin files from here and use a disassembler to study the code.
    Thank you for the advice. I did aquire a .bin file for my truck using the repository that you mentioned. What disassembler do I need exactly? One for the Motorolla 68k chipset? (2003 Silverado with P59 PCM)

Thanks again!

Carb and Points!
    Bump. Can anyone tell me what disassembler I need to view .bin files a C code?

Electronic Ignition!
    Are you sure the chip is a Motorola 68k chipset. I thought all the later 1mb pcms used am29f800bb-70se chips.

The processor is a motorola, the flash is AMD or Intel

Electronic Ignition!
    Oh ok gotcha I understand now. It's been a while since I have looked into this stuff so please forgive me. The 512kb and 1mb pcms used the same processor chip the Moto 68k? Do you know if there were any differences in them from the 512 to 1mb pcm.
    Last edited by cjcalhoun85; 02-20-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Carb and Points!
    I know it is a 1mb pcm for sure. From the research I gathered, the PCM I have uses a Motorolla 68k chipset.

Electronic Ignition!
    If you have Linux looks like Ubuntu has m68k version of binutils in the repos. I'd just use that as a first go. sudo apt-get install binutils-m68k-linux-gnu
    m68k-linux-gnu-objdump -D gmls.bin

Fuel Injected!
    IDA Pro is the best tool I know of for doing this. It's pretty expensive, but has some features that speed up renaming things, cross-referencing, and navigating around in the code. It also has a scripting feature that helps a lot, for example I turned an XDF file into a script that labels all of the constants and tables in my 2002 Corvette's bin file, which gave me a good head start.

I'm keeping my IDA file on GitHub, and I've also posted a few things in a wiki there:

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/12593358

I've barely scratched the surface, but it's a start.