Thread: who can tune my 96 vortec built motor

Carb and Points!

who can tune my 96 vortec built motor

I am new to this scene as I come from the diesel world. I got a hair up my a$$ and bought a 96 swb reg cab 2wd Chevrolet pickup from police auction for $600. Had a 5.7 vortec in it but it was beyond beat! I pulled it out and sent the block to the machine shop. had new cam bearings put in and block boiled and bored .30 over. the block was decked .10 and flat top pistons put in. I have a set of good 062 vortec heads that came off the motor and I put the screw in studs in them and had a 3 angle valve job done and did some light port and polish work on them. I went with the cam the machine shop recommended which is the edelbrock rolling thunder cam. I am getting ready to drop the motor back down in the truck but want to know who can tune the truck for the mods I have in the motor along with deleting all o2 sensors and egr valve as the truck will have headers on it. Any suggestions on who I can send the pcm to for tuning would be greatly appreciated as I have been striking out on any information on this. Yes the cam is a very rough idle cam and I have been told that you wont hear the cam at idle with the fuel injection.

Tuning the 1996 "Black Box" computer can be EXTREMELY challenging, because Tuning Software like HP Tuners or EFI Live DO NOT support the 1996 " Black Box". Some 1996 "Black Box" vehicles owners with modified engines like yours have upgraded to the newer 12200411 PCM: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html ... and ... http://www.gmt400.com/threads/122004...0-trucks.9644/

The 12200411 PCM is the Ultimate Solution for "Tuning" your modified engine!

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Thank you very much for the info on this. I will call and get one this morning when I get to work. My next question is, after I get this in my hands who do I send it to for tuning?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrdr77 View Post
    I am new to this scene as I come from the diesel world. I got a hair up my a$$ and bought a 96 swb reg cab 2wd Chevrolet pickup from police auction for $600. Had a 5.7 vortec in it but it was beyond beat! I pulled it out and sent the block to the machine shop. had new cam bearings put in and block boiled and bored .30 over. the block was decked .10 and flat top pistons put in. I have a set of good 062 vortec heads that came off the motor and I put the screw in studs in them and had a 3 angle valve job done and did some light port and polish work on them. I went with the cam the machine shop recommended which is the edelbrock rolling thunder cam. I am getting ready to drop the motor back down in the truck but want to know who can tune the truck for the mods I have in the motor along with deleting all o2 sensors and egr valve as the truck will have headers on it. Any suggestions on who I can send the pcm to for tuning would be greatly appreciated as I have been striking out on any information on this. Yes the cam is a very rough idle cam and I have been told that you wont hear the cam at idle with the fuel injection.
    Where are you located in the world? I can tell you first hand you will not be able to get that to run well on a black box or even 0411 via mail order. Too many tuners just do not understand how to make these setups run with big cams.

Fuel Injected!
    I would keep the Bank 1 Senor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1 aka precat O2 sensors as you wont be able to run in closed loop without them.

peace
    Hog