Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What efi system is best for a 4.5 pfi cadillac engine7

What efi system is best for a 4.5 pfi cadillac engine7

Hello.hope om posting on the right place. I have a fwd cadillac 4.5 pfi engine trying to run it on a 90 c1500 305 ecm.7747.obviously it is not the same and I'm having timing issues. I've read the timing table of curved ate completely different. I've done a few logs with tprt and see a few things off.my question is do I get the burner and chips and do the socket mod to attempt a correction or am I farther ahead to swap to 7427 ecm and run pfi as that's what the engine was designed for. Currently running the tbi set up in a s15 jimmy using the stock 2.8 harness.any advice would be great.may not have given all the details but I hope enough to help choose a direction.thanks

I like the 16197427 for OBD1 MPFI. The 16197427 is well supported, affordable, and easily converted to MPFI. I would use the Ostrich 2.0 and Moates.net G1 Adapter.

dave w

Thanks for the fast reply.I do have a 7427 bjxk from a 95 c1500 that had 305ci and auto .I took ecm and connectors and vss buffer from that truck.I read about jumping the 2 sense resistors to enable batch fire for 8 injectors.I did this mod to the ecm.I have ford crown vic injectors in it and ready.but I don't yet have tuning ability so I didn't swap pcm yet.still running tbi.I also have to change f/p for the swap.if I did the swap with out tune capabilities I know it won't see a transmission plugged in so it will have trouble codes. Unsure if that puts into limp or prevent closed loop.not new to it all but I still have a lot of learning for the tuning stuff and how to use the programs.if anyone on here is willing to burn a chip and ship I could provide what info I do have for both set ups.stock chip or 28 pin.I live in canada and I don't have much in the way of support here aa most places have no info or product for the older ecm.thanks
    Last edited by S.O.B.B.; 11-26-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Attached is 16197427 MPFI Information.

Maybe converting the 2.8 TBI system to the 16197427 TBI is a GOOD first step?

My post for tuning the 16197427 with a Wide Band Oxygen Sensor (WBO2): http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet
    Post 25 has the latest spreadsheet. Post 26 has some useful screen shot for "Tuning" using WBO2 data.

It's always challenging using parts from vehicles that are +20 years old in a project.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Dave w.the tbi I'm using is from the 305 engine.I put 4.3 I Hector in it as the 305 was so rich u could see and smell it out the exhaust. The harness and est and knock sensor is the only 2.8 part left on the truck.all else is from 305.I originally tried a distributor that I made from a cadillac bottom and small cap chevy top but the rotor phase was not right.after multiple tries I got it so it was firing at the right time with a hole drilled in a cap to see.but still unsatisfied I swapped to the oe cadillac large cap hei.but from what I understand the ecm wants zero and the cadillac calls for 10.I have it set now at 14 and it runs well enough to get me to work but not that great.I swapped a heated o2 in as well.couple questions. I have not been able to find the bin for my 7747 asdm or for the 7427 bjxk.is that because of us and canadian difference or are these odd balls.I just used a different bin to log.on the 7427 will it run the engine fine with no Tran plugged in or is changing settinga and burning to a chip required the ecm to not be in a limp or open loop mode.thanks for the helpful info.sorry about any spelling errors.all I have been using is my phone to post.

Anyone try removing the stock 28 pin chip from memcal and solder in a socket.will that work as an alternative to the g1 adapter.20171127_094140.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Dave w.can u please tell me if it's ok to put a chip socket in place of the chip on a stock memcal to change chips that way as apposed to buying a g1 adapter. Will it function just the same. Here is a pic.you seem to be a very knowledgeable person and your advice is very much appreciated.someone that knows their ������ sure makes things easier for the inexperienced to understand and accomplish. 20171127_192031.jpg20171127_192144.jpg
    Jeeper
    87 sjimmy powered by a 92 cadillac 4.9L pfi on 7427pcm /700r4/ 8.8 3.55 rear/disc brakes.

If you have excellent soldering skills and equipment, installing a 28 Pin DIP Socket into the Memcal is a low cost alternative to the Moates.net G1 adapter.

dave w

Awesome.thanks.that was a memcal from another ecm I had for a quad 4. Looks same as 7427 so that was my practice run.that will shave a bit off of getting into tuning for me.I priced a gqx4 and 2 sst27sf512 chips.about $170. Canadian delivered so that's not too bad.would have gotten burn 2 but it's a bit more money so as u can see I like to make it cheap.thanks for the confirmation.have a great day
    Jeeper
    87 sjimmy powered by a 92 cadillac 4.9L pfi on 7427pcm /700r4/ 8.8 3.55 rear/disc brakes.

Fuel Injected!
    I've done that before but I didn't have a fine tip soldering iron so needless to say, mine didn't come out as pretty as the one you have in the pics. Just to pretty it up, I think I'll pull out the dremel an clean up the melted plastic!!! BTW...I also used a zif.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 11-28-2017 at 05:20 AM.

I melted a few spots too but it's hard to see.believe it or not that's done with a butane torch similar to what a chef uses only it has a few tips.it's very fast and does pretty clean job for wires and such and shrink tube.I made my cable for data log with it and the thing works great even on tiny pins like the transistors and resistors needed for that.it was under 40 bucks.good to know others do these things too .
    Jeeper

I once read a story where someone set out to cut a piece of wood. As the story goes ... the wood was measured with a micrometer, then marked with a piece of chalk and finally cut with a chain saw. The above method of soldering reminded me of the this story.

Electrons are extremely "LAZY" things to control ... they will always flow in the path of least resistance from negative to positive.

Maybe it's my luck, I seen to need a more costly method of soldering to keep those "LAZY" electrons happy for years and years / miles and miles of trouble free service.

I truly admire those who can make a perfectly level wood table with a micrometer, chalk, and chain saw.

dave w

Hey thanks.that means a lot to me.I've done about 6 conversions on odd ball vehicles with somewhat odd drive train.I've about ways hated the wiring part.but this last one refined a lot of skills for me including soldering and following wires and wire diagrams and relays and circuits etc.partly because I made a few mods and because of my mistakes.but I feel like I have most of this system in my head by memory.I'm hoping I'll be able to learn the tuning in the same manner.understanding the wiring makes diagnosis much easier less frustrating and not scary at all to try and check any circuit.I would hope at some point others could use info I have learned because that's how I've learned a lot.thanks to this and many other info sharing enthusiasts. So thanks
    Jeeper

Ordered:
    Gq-4x-v4 $114.28
    Sst27sf512(x2) $10.04
    Shipping $25.40
    Total to my door $149.72
    That's not too bad for getting started.that's from mcu mall canada. Gq electronics is the American store and prices are pretty close.my canadian store has a 2 week wait for the chips as they are back ordered.I see they are not on back order in the American store.in case anyone uses them.
    Jeeper

Re:mpfi information zip
    How do I use these.through tunerpro?is this code to copy to ?sorry.I'm still too green to know.I suck at this kind of stuff on a computer because I've never used any of it b4.
    Jeeper