Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What efi system is best for a 4.5 pfi cadillac engine7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What efi system is best for a 4.5 pfi cadillac engine7

Hello.hope om posting on the right place. I have a fwd cadillac 4.5 pfi engine trying to run it on a 90 c1500 305 ecm.7747.obviously it is not the same and I'm having timing issues. I've read the timing table of curved ate completely different. I've done a few logs with tprt and see a few things off.my question is do I get the burner and chips and do the socket mod to attempt a correction or am I farther ahead to swap to 7427 ecm and run pfi as that's what the engine was designed for. Currently running the tbi set up in a s15 jimmy using the stock 2.8 harness.any advice would be great.may not have given all the details but I hope enough to help choose a direction.thanks

I like the 16197427 for OBD1 MPFI. The 16197427 is well supported, affordable, and easily converted to MPFI. I would use the Ostrich 2.0 and Moates.net G1 Adapter.

dave w

Thanks for the fast reply.I do have a 7427 bjxk from a 95 c1500 that had 305ci and auto .I took ecm and connectors and vss buffer from that truck.I read about jumping the 2 sense resistors to enable batch fire for 8 injectors.I did this mod to the ecm.I have ford crown vic injectors in it and ready.but I don't yet have tuning ability so I didn't swap pcm yet.still running tbi.I also have to change f/p for the swap.if I did the swap with out tune capabilities I know it won't see a transmission plugged in so it will have trouble codes. Unsure if that puts into limp or prevent closed loop.not new to it all but I still have a lot of learning for the tuning stuff and how to use the programs.if anyone on here is willing to burn a chip and ship I could provide what info I do have for both set ups.stock chip or 28 pin.I live in canada and I don't have much in the way of support here aa most places have no info or product for the older ecm.thanks
    Last edited by S.O.B.B.; 11-26-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Attached is 16197427 MPFI Information.

Maybe converting the 2.8 TBI system to the 16197427 TBI is a GOOD first step?

My post for tuning the 16197427 with a Wide Band Oxygen Sensor (WBO2): http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet
    Post 25 has the latest spreadsheet. Post 26 has some useful screen shot for "Tuning" using WBO2 data.

It's always challenging using parts from vehicles that are +20 years old in a project.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Dave w.the tbi I'm using is from the 305 engine.I put 4.3 I Hector in it as the 305 was so rich u could see and smell it out the exhaust. The harness and est and knock sensor is the only 2.8 part left on the truck.all else is from 305.I originally tried a distributor that I made from a cadillac bottom and small cap chevy top but the rotor phase was not right.after multiple tries I got it so it was firing at the right time with a hole drilled in a cap to see.but still unsatisfied I swapped to the oe cadillac large cap hei.but from what I understand the ecm wants zero and the cadillac calls for 10.I have it set now at 14 and it runs well enough to get me to work but not that great.I swapped a heated o2 in as well.couple questions. I have not been able to find the bin for my 7747 asdm or for the 7427 bjxk.is that because of us and canadian difference or are these odd balls.I just used a different bin to log.on the 7427 will it run the engine fine with no Tran plugged in or is changing settinga and burning to a chip required the ecm to not be in a limp or open loop mode.thanks for the helpful info.sorry about any spelling errors.all I have been using is my phone to post.

Anyone try removing the stock 28 pin chip from memcal and solder in a socket.will that work as an alternative to the g1 adapter.20171127_094140.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Dave w.can u please tell me if it's ok to put a chip socket in place of the chip on a stock memcal to change chips that way as apposed to buying a g1 adapter. Will it function just the same. Here is a pic.you seem to be a very knowledgeable person and your advice is very much appreciated.someone that knows their ������ sure makes things easier for the inexperienced to understand and accomplish. 20171127_192031.jpg20171127_192144.jpg
    Jeeper
    87 sjimmy powered by a 92 cadillac 4.9L pfi on 7427pcm /700r4/ 8.8 3.55 rear/disc brakes.

If you have excellent soldering skills and equipment, installing a 28 Pin DIP Socket into the Memcal is a low cost alternative to the Moates.net G1 adapter.

dave w

Re:mpfi information zip
    How do I use these.through tunerpro?is this code to copy to ?sorry.I'm still too green to know.I suck at this kind of stuff on a computer because I've never used any of it b4.
    Jeeper
    87 sjimmy powered by a 92 cadillac 4.9L pfi on 7427pcm /700r4/ 8.8 3.55 rear/disc brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B.B. View Post
    Re:mpfi information zip
    How do I use these.through tunerpro?is this code to copy to ?sorry.I'm still too green to know.I suck at this kind of stuff on a computer because I've never used any of it b4.
    Ok, first things first ... please post the .bin file you have modified for MPFI.

dave w

Hello Dave w.can u or anyone else confirm something. I am using an older $42 xdf and have min temp for egr to max.do I have it backwards. Should I have it set to minimum to keep egr from being comanded on.I used the bpw calculator to come up with 144 and I've gone from .4 to .49 on injector bias and still using the 45lb/hr injectors at 11psi. My logs got better but I'm still lean at above 50 kpa map.raising injector bias has gotten my blms very close to 128 at 30 and 40 kpa.but my ve above 60 is higher numbers than desired. 96 and still 150 blm in some areas.how much can injector bias be raised b4 it causes a problem.I haven't had the time or weather to change to the 49lb/hr injectors yet.any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.I've been ok reading and figuring out most of the issues I'm having but it's awesome that so many good folks on this site are willing to help.I'm hooked for good
    Last edited by S.O.B.B.; 02-16-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    Jeeper

Anyone know a source for a 2240 ecm (attl) bin file for cadillac. Not having any luck searching.
    Jeeper

Playing around on tunerpro with amtu-$42-5.0-auto (1)bin*.
    In the scalers the minimum rpm to consider running says 525rpm or something close to that.then in tables the desired idle speed at 3 of the Temps the rpm says 500.is this incorrect. Should the desired idle speed always be above the minimum rpm to consider running.
    Jeeper

Thanks Dave w.The Gq programmer just arrived. I'm a little displeased. The box content was a programmer a cd and a chip with the legs folded over. No cables.Grr. I have looked at the description and it says cables are included. So it's useless to me till I get cables. That bites.a question I have is since I can't seem to find the proper bin for either ecm I have would I just read the chip on the programmer and save it to get the bin.I ask because I plan to do the socket mod to the 7747 I'm running so I can correct a couple things.it's too cold for long hours outside so the 427 swap is waiting.I reread a few things over and over and I think I have a better understanding of the order of the steps now and what to not pla with . Guess I'll see when I get cables.b4 i finished writing this mcu mall emailed to say cables were being sent today. So that's good.thanks.
    Jeeper

Hello Dave w.I am still waiting on cables.so I made a g2 chip adapter for the 7747 for now.for my 427 swap I can't find a bin for the engine I have.I can get a whole 2240 ecm for around 50 bucks.the plan for that was just to read and save the bin so I can copy a bunch of things to the 427pfi bin u sent me.I have an xdf but no bin.does that sound like something that will work.I'm unsure of another route to take.or if there is a better way to do it. Thanks
    Last edited by S.O.B.B.; 12-16-2017 at 01:55 AM.
    Jeeper