Thread: flashing OBD2 ECU?

Carb and Points!

flashing OBD2 ECU?

Is there a way to flash an OBD2 gen 3 ECU without having to rely on software suites like HPtuners or EFIlive? something that is more cost effective or even a DIY cable and software. i have HPtuners and im confined to what they allow me to tune and thats it which i dont like. i like the interface because they take all the math out of it and make it easy but i know theres more potential in these ECU's that what these tuning suites give you. also i want to look into developing add on's for the ECU like a real launch control and such because spark cut rules and fuel cut stinks lol. i opened my ECU and it had an AM29F400BB flash which is very common in the german car world that i normally work in. since it has that flash i already have all the tools to unsolder, read with an eeprom reader and resolder the chip but that takes a toll on the board and the chip having to do that every time i want to load a test tune. HPtuners encrypts everything so thats a no go to flash freely, not sure about EFIlive but im sure they do the same thing. i just want to work with the raw BIN files and tuner pro, keep it simple. i hope there is a more open source solution out there.

Fuel Injected!
    Pull the chip and then install a socket to connect an emulator instead. You can tune all you want, and in real time too. Check out moates.net for equipment.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Pull the chip and then install a socket to connect an emulator instead. You can tune all you want, and in real time too. Check out moates.net for equipment.
    your talking about the roadrunner right?

Fuel Injected!
    yes.

You could probably find some other generic emulator if you really wanted to do it yourself.

Fuel Injected!
    You can reflash 411 PCM using AVT cable and Dimented's Flash tool.