Thread: Throttle Sticking - any ideas for fixing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    TPS info
    Tunerpro RT plugged into vehicle, looking for connection.
    Turn key to ON.
    TPS voltage displays 0.5, frequently switching between 0.4 and 0.5
    TPS throttle position % shows 0% initially, but then starts creeping up, gage moves up/down by a few tenths, or points...after a minute it's fluctuating around 3-4%, wait a bit, now it's steady at 5.1%

Then V drops to 0.4, and TPS% fluctuates between 3.9 and 4.3%

pedal to floor, shows 4.6V, 100%
    release pedal, shows 0.4-0.5V, 3.9-4.3%

Tapping throttle, not exceeding 10% throttle position, and V varies/jumps between 0.7 and 0.2V, let it sit.
    V stabilizes between 0.2-0.3V, TP at 0.4-1.6%

Pulled doghouse, and unplugged TPS from harness. Connected tunerpro, and switched key to ON, engine still not running.
    TP5 reads 0.0-0.1V, at 0%TP
    TPS sensor is rigidly attached to TBI as I expected, no movement there.
    Plug in sensor to harness, V jumps to fluctuate between 0.3 and 0.5V, and TP% jumps right up to 5%, and fluctuates.
    I find that I can tap on the sensor itself, and the reading fluctuates. Is this typical with the sensors? I've got two from my mod'd TBI provider.

Also, I am getting continuous TUnerPro fluctuating between DA: Connected, and DA Data Error!

Any ideas on why that would happen as well? I've tried various USB ports, and it behaves the same.
    I also tried turning OFF the connection within TP5, then turned off key, flipped TP5 connection on (status DA:Connecting...), and then turning key ON. No connection.
    Toggle the connection on/off, no change. Had to reboot TP5 twice to get a connection.
    Last edited by tony-baroni; 11-19-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Bore for the throttle shaft worn out so the shaft has play in the hole? You can find bushing kits fairly cheaply if you search Ebay.

Fuel Injected!
    Throttle shaft is a-ok...the TBI is as new - from SPR performance. Super smooth, no friction or binding.

Fuel Injected!
    OK, didn't see it mentioned in your posts. It has to be a mechanical binding of some sort. The vacuum might be pulling the blades in the direction to cause a bind.

The TPS should not cause it if it's properly installed. The MAP sensor can't cause it.

Fuel Injected!
    It is puzzling...I like where you're going with the vacuum pulling blades in a particular direction. I can't feel ANY sticking when moving the blades or the cable attaching bracket. I have taken a bunch more video's of diagnosing this...and will update with new links when I get them up on youtube.

FYI, I also had the throttle cable inspected by a mechanic back when it first occurred. I also checked it when I first had this problem with the new rebuild. There is no stiction in the cable.

Fuel Injected!
    My continued chasing a root cause has uncovered what appears to be three issues.

1. Throttle blades intermittently sticking OPEN when engine is running, clearly noticeable w/o load, haven't noticed while under load.
    2. Intermittent issue with voltage output from TPS, being disturbed by tapping, moving wires on harness, and sometimes the voltage dropping to 0.2-0.3V. other times it works great.
    3. Intermittent issue with throttle position percentage, rising above 0, to as high as 8%, and staying there, when the throttle has NOT opened, and the TPS voltage is performing properly (~0.5V).

Regarding throttle blades, the video's linked earlier in the thread show this in action. Still looking for a solution.

Regarding intermittent voltage output from TPS, my first thought is a bad TPS, however the symptom is intermittent, and the symptoms re-occurred with a new TPS sensor, I think it's something else.

Regarding the throttle position percentage issue, I think this may be a fault ECM issue.

Here are some video's showing this odd behavior.
    https://youtu.be/qaS7B4cauSM

The manual diagnostics requires a scan tool, which I don't have. I'm looking for some guidance in troubleshooting the root cause of these issues, and fix them, before I start tuning the engine/chip.

Here is what I did to start troubleshooting.
    Test sensor values going INTO the ECM at the connector (sensor is working properly in this one)
    https://youtu.be/Hf6qk8nx4gI

Confirm the ECM input pins, match the output from the ALDL cable. (sensor also working, but TP5 connection errors)
    https://youtu.be/cypYZXFOZkU

https://youtu.be/f7A9RTLiXJU (same, another test, working this time)

Fuel Injected!
    As posted earlier I think you need to address the sticking throttle. It's got to be worn throttle shaft bushings, misinstalled throttle plates or throttle cable interference. I know you said they were good but??
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF