Thread: 85 corvette data logging help

Carb and Points!

85 corvette data logging help

hi , im kind of new to this site but i have tuning experience. i need to data log on my 85 vette. (i know the baud rate sucks) i have Tuner pro RT, HLH 85 vette 5.7TPI 700r4.bin/1F_updated.xdf files but i cant seem to find an adx file anywhere to make it possible to log data. i know its been done. what am i missing here? Thanks for the help

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for posting your question, 0midnight5, as I've tuning questions of my own wrt the 1226870 ECM in my 85 IROCZ28 with a TPI-equipped/350 FT-cammed/L98 intake/ZZ4 Al head LM1 swap (for anyone interested in the laundry list details of the swap, please ask).

While the power plant runs great (throttle response *is* snappy), I want to maximize its performance before I make the 1226870-to-1227165 ECM conversion. Using TunerRT 5.0, I'm reviewing the tuning export details for HLH and the HLK proms (the installed PROM is Hypertech Thermomaster 155332). While I'm not yet proficient enough in TunerProRT to make heads-or-tails of the BIN compare tool, in neither BIN do I find any of these details:

a) California emissions compliance
    b) 5.0L vs 5.7L
    c) Final rear drive ratio
    d) 700R4 (RPO MD8) vs manual (RPO MK2 or M39)
    e) 9th-injector cold-start delete

Q: Where in the BINs would I find the above settings?

BTW, I've a 90-min datalog collected some time ago to analyze the engine's performance. As far as I can tell, total fuel trim (BLM+INT) is above 140 (+10%), maybe higher, at sustained speeds above 70MPH. If any of the tuning experts here care to take a look at that datalog, please ask - I can sure use all the help.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0midnight5 View Post
    hi , im kind of new to this site but i have tuning experience. i need to data log on my 85 vette. (i know the baud rate sucks) i have Tuner pro RT, HLH 85 vette 5.7TPI 700r4.bin/1F_updated.xdf files but i cant seem to find an adx file anywhere to make it possible to log data. i know its been done. what am i missing here? Thanks for the help
    Good evening, 0midnight5 - As I've a similar setup in an 85 Camaro, have you begun datalogging your 'Vette? If yes, what total fuel trim (BLM+INT) have you recorded?

Secondly, did you convert the HLH prom to an EEPROM using Moates's service on the 6870 ECM?

Thirdly, are you using the stock-to-your-Vette NB O2 sensor or are you planning/have you installed a WB O2 sensor for advanced datalogging?

Fourth, what fuel injectors (in #s/hr) do you have installed and did you install an AFPR?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your reply.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 85BLKIROC View Post
    Good evening, 0midnight5 - As I've a similar setup in an 85 Camaro, have you begun datalogging your 'Vette? If yes, what total fuel trim (BLM+INT) have you recorded?

Secondly, did you convert the HLH prom to an EEPROM using Moates's service on the 6870 ECM?

Thirdly, are you using the stock-to-your-Vette NB O2 sensor or are you planning/have you installed a WB O2 sensor for advanced datalogging?

Fourth, what fuel injectors (in #s/hr) do you have installed and did you install an AFPR?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your reply.
    i have not started to data log yet. im waiting to purchase the APU1 emulator and the memory adapter from the moates site so i can upgrade to the EEPROM.

i am using the stock O2 sensor for now. i do plan on upgrading.

the stock injectors are in it now but i have a set from a viper that i will prob put in.

i just purchased and edelbrock pro flow XT intake along with the throttle body and some headers. i will also be removing the cats, air pump system and EGR.

i just got the car a few weeks ago so im looking at all my options for this OBD1 ECU. i would like to eventually upgrade to a speed density setup.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 85BLKIROC View Post
    Thanks for posting your question, 0midnight5, as I've tuning questions of my own wrt the 1226870 ECM in my 85 IROCZ28 with a TPI-equipped/350 FT-cammed/L98 intake/ZZ4 Al head LM1 swap (for anyone interested in the laundry list details of the swap, please ask).

While the power plant runs great (throttle response *is* snappy), I want to maximize its performance before I make the 1226870-to-1227165 ECM conversion. Using TunerRT 5.0, I'm reviewing the tuning export details for HLH and the HLK proms (the installed PROM is Hypertech Thermomaster 155332). While I'm not yet proficient enough in TunerProRT to make heads-or-tails of the BIN compare tool, in neither BIN do I find any of these details:

a) California emissions compliance
    b) 5.0L vs 5.7L
    c) Final rear drive ratio
    d) 700R4 (RPO MD8) vs manual (RPO MK2 or M39)
    e) 9th-injector cold-start delete

Q: Where in the BINs would I find the above settings?

BTW, I've a 90-min datalog collected some time ago to analyze the engine's performance. As far as I can tell, total fuel trim (BLM+INT) is above 140 (+10%), maybe higher, at sustained speeds above 70MPH. If any of the tuning experts here care to take a look at that datalog, please ask - I can sure use all the help.
    It's been 20 years ago, Idk if it's change from the '870 to '165 to '730 but in the '730 I seem to recall engine displacement was some cid to cc calculation converted to hexidecimal. On a MAF ecm it may be different. Seem to recall some of the tuning software had a check box between auto and manual, but I would grab an auto bin for auto and so forth. As far as the 9th injector, I don't think there were any factory '870s with it deleted as well as 86-'88 '165s. So with that said, if you want 9th injector deleted in the tune start with a '89 '165 bin.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    It's been 20 years ago, Idk if it's change from the '870 to '165 to '730 but in the '730 I seem to recall engine displacement was some cid to cc calculation converted to hexidecimal. On a MAF ecm it may be different. Seem to recall some of the tuning software had a check box between auto and manual, but I would grab an auto bin for auto and so forth. As far as the 9th injector, I don't think there were any factory '870s with it deleted as well as 86-'88 '165s. So with that said, if you want 9th injector deleted in the tune start with a '89 '165 bin.
    Thanks for the reply, stew86MCSS396. In studying further bins for 6870s as well as for 7165 ECMs, I did not see any explicit reference to the 9th injector and, in those 305-to-350 swaps, it appears the only difference is removing the 9th injector connector from the ECM and revising the bin's "cold crank pulse width vs coolant temperature" table entries based on the bin's injector constant.

Fuel Injected!
    From what I recall, 9th injector is on a timed circuit so my understanding is you won’t find anything in the bin for it.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 02-08-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    From what I recall, 9th injector is on a timed circuit so my understanding is you won’t find anything in the bin for it.
    Yup - you're right as none of the 85-era bins contain any 9th injector fueling details. I presume all CSI details are embedded in the 6870 ECM's program ROM.

Wrt the 7165 ECM, I'm comparing 86-88 era bins to 89-era bins to see how the "Crank Fuel injector PW Multiplier vs Reference Pulse", the "Crank Fuel Injector PW vs Coolant Temperature", and the "Crank Fuel Injector PW vs %TPS" tables were revised to make up for the CSI delete.