Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best BIN for runing 258/4.2 AMC/Jeep engine 5 speed manual

Administrator
    Did a fair amount of work on CCC vehicles. I still have my old 6 cyl dwell meter around for setting the M/C solenoid as well as a pile of special tools for the Rochester carbs.

I've attached the Howell .bin but I'll have to dig around for the other. Gads... it's been 10+ years since I tuned it and I'm not even sure I remember the filename anymore.

Edit: I'm such a packrat. My tuning laptop has more cals on it than I know what to do with. I believe Jeep024 is the .bin I made to replace the Howell .bin.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 1project2many; 03-22-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Ha! A dwell meter? Your giving away your age! I gave mine to my kid when we first built his IH engine. He was like 'What the *** is this for" I laughed and told him then when we got it running showed him how to set points properly by dwell... back in the old days we had distributor machines to do proper tuneups. Pull distributor and install in SnapOn distributor machine, set point dwell check advance curves, vacuum pull off. Now we just change a couple cells in the bin...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    the funny thing is that I still had my old Sears Craftsman dwell tach, it had a switch to change from tach to dwell, and scales on it for 4,6,8 cylinders. It moved around with me for 30 years untill I finally had a need for it(the tach portion) tuning the carb on one of the old Eagles I'v acquired, only to find that it was frozen up :(

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Did a fair amount of work on CCC vehicles. I still have my old 6 cyl dwell meter around for setting the M/C solenoid as well as a pile of special tools for the Rochester carbs.

I've attached the Howell .bin but I'll have to dig around for the other. Gads... it's been 10+ years since I tuned it and I'm not even sure I remember the filename anymore.

Edit: I'm such a packrat. My tuning laptop has more cals on it than I know what to do with. I believe Jeep024 is the .bin I made to replace the Howell .bin.
    Thanks a bunch, I downloaded both guess well see as soo as parts arrive, Burn 2/ALDL cable/G2 adapter & chips. For future reference someone mentioned being able to basically make a G2 outof a ZIF socket is it the same as trimming a couple pins off the bottom and soldering a jumper wire to the 5 pins on one end that I came across somewhere else that description may be off a little as I only skimmed it??

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    What ECM/PCM are you using? Then we can look for bin options...

What's an AutoPro?
    That was my fat fingers getting ahead of themselves, shoulda been AutoProm

The bin that JeepsAndGuns referenced was: If your wanting a manual trans cal just to get you by untill you can tune. Then I have a 127747 chip/bin thats from a astro van that had a 4.3 and a 5 speed. The bcc is ABFB.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post

I haven't opened that bin to look at it to much yet, but didn't I read somewhere that the howell bin is fuel only, seems like I also read that it reports as a 88-89 C/K1500? If indeed it is fuel only, did they disable the spark control, or just not add the wiring & instructions on how to add the module in & lockdown the vac/mech adv mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by doc65 View Post
    the funny thing is that I still had my old Sears Craftsman dwell tach, it had a switch to change from tach to dwell, and scales on it for 4,6,8 cylinders. It moved around with me for 30 years untill I finally had a need for it(the tach portion) tuning the carb on one of the old Eagles I'v acquired, only to find that it was frozen up :(
    Mine was tach and dwell as well and had 4 6 and 8 cylinders. Kid still has it.

Howell chip could be fuel only but not necessarily.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by doc65 View Post
    Thanks a bunch, I downloaded both guess well see as soo as parts arrive, Burn 2/ALDL cable/G2 adapter & chips. For future reference someone mentioned being able to basically make a G2 outof a ZIF socket is it the same as trimming a couple pins off the bottom and soldering a jumper wire to the 5 pins on one end that I came across somewhere else that description may be off a little as I only skimmed it??
    I posted information here http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-%2827SF512%29 on installing a ZIF in a '7747 ECM.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Dave, that's one of them that I came across though I could swear it was on another site. I also saw where Bill-USN1 I think it is was doing the soldering VERY gingerly on the chip itself then trimming the legs or bending then out so that it would go in a standard socket or some-such... Not sure I'm quite THAT cheap, I will buy a ZIF and try that one though.
    Last edited by doc65; 03-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Doing it on the Zif socket would be better then on the chip. I've seen them done on a chip and work but the metal on chip can interfere. Reason I say this is I once... OK three times before I relized what was happening was burned chips, tested good, did not have any od my little stickers so I used duct tape. Chip did not work? three times!!! Duct tape was no where near pins and I only covered them because they were old UV light erase chips. Took duct tape off and all three chips were good. So if duct tape can create some sort of magnetic/electrical field to interfere with chip can you image what a metal wire would/could do?

Now if you go with the G2 and your good with soldering then just solder the G2 to board and add chip and cover will go on. If you add the socket to board then G2 and chip, cover will not go on.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I am good at soldering, and I planned on soldering in the G2 that I ordered directly to the board, I'm interested in the ZIF socket version for a second ECU

Administrator
    Howell Jeep came in as fuel only but instructions were included to wire ignition module for ecm control and probably lockout distributor. For some reason I can't remember that part. But connecting module to ecm did not cure performance issues.

The Eagle project is cool. In my youth I tried to get one cheap to do SBC swap, lift it, &etc but all the "old timers" then said no good, stay away, junk. I haven't see one on the road around here in a long, long time.

I too have always liked the Eagle (all kinds of Eagles) and wanted one! Even though it looked like a better design of the Pacer known as a pregnant roller skate... Even though we have no salt up here and still see many old cars I can't remember seeing one in a long time... come to mention it I don't see any AMC other then Jeeps of that era? Guess the old timers were right...

But that is not where my web handle came from.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    There was a limited quantity built, and they mainly died off as Chrysler bought AMC and killed off everything but the jeeps. they aren't any worse mechanically than the jeeps of the era, as a matter of fact other that having an IFS the running gear is all jeep between CJ & just slightly newer Cherokees most everything is interchangeable.

Red one's the main project, Brown is actually driveable, and much cleaner under hood, with no extra vac cr@p and a Motorcraft 2150 instead of the CCC Carter BBD as well as a GM large cap HEI. I'm thinking of doing this TBI to the brown one and then later doing a hopefully DIS/SPFI on the Stroked 4.6 I'm puting together now. I have a similar stroker in a 96 Grand Cherokee and it's a BEAST, only problem is that all the extra torque brought to light an aged & weak Trans...

Last edited by doc65; 03-22-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    ...oh, and I know Bess(Brown Bess, gotta have a name ya know?) is sitting on different rims front to rear in that pic. I was trying different wheels & tire sizes at the time. She's now on a set of factory Rally (aluminum) wheels.