Thread: Some winaldl questions

Carb and Points!

Some winaldl questions

So finally got me a cable made so I can do some datalogging before I start touching the tuning. I just have a stock 92 suburban with the 299 ecm. I am just wanting to get the feel of tuning before I change things up and actually have to know how to dial that in later. Anyways, I am having some problems. I cant seem to find the txt files from my datalogging and I only get a full reading when I let off the gas. It is pretty rare that the box at the top flashes green with 20+ That is usually only at stoplights. WOT shows nothing which kind of important. It could be my chinese rt232rl module or is this just because of the slower baud rate of the 299 ecm? I would post a pic...but I can't find them files haha.

I abandoned WinALDL several years ago.

The information available in TunerPro RT is SUPERIOR, see attached screen shots.

R.I.P. WinALDL you were a true EFI Pioneer!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    On my laptop, there's a folder in Program Files called WINALDL and all my .txt files default saves to that folder. I noticed that when I datalog with the RAW box checked, the .txt comes out in jibberish. With that box unchecked, .txt file is more understandable. Opening a RAW datalog with ALDLview makes it easier to read, too.

@Dave I'll make the jump when I start messin with '427 'puters.

Carb and Points!
    Nice! I have tunerpro downloaded but haven't even looked through it haha. I will give that a shot and see if I get better results.

Fuel Injected!
    Here's a lot of great links and information
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-a-must-read!-)

Here's the best starter tutorial for Tunerpro I've come across
    https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-tutorial.html
    Last edited by Woods; 11-03-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Ok its been a while and I have had no progress. I am thinking that its my janky diy aldl cable. I have tried tuner pro and it doesnt register anything. I have my xdf, bin, and adx loaded so idk... I might just have to spend the 55 for a real cable. If I would have known that I would have gone for the whole setup from Moates! Anyways, I took a little video to show what winaldl is doing. I also noticed that I am using the California emissions bin because there isn't a 5.7 non California bin available.
    https://youtu.be/9IQ2S7s0Gas

Fuel Injected!
    Some older PCMs needs 10k resistor and produce 0-12v signal.
    The usb adapter you have cab interpret only 0-5v signals.
    I suggest you put 10k resistor and measure the voltage, so you know what the pcm needs.

If it is 0-12v you will need the two transistors home made adaptor and a computer with a serial port.

Fuel Injected!
    Just a thought with Tunerpro.
    Have you tried Tools: Preferences: Data Accq I/O Plug-in Component, Configure Plug-in Component:
    Test for valid Interface Settings: test for valid cable with cable plugged into laptop, but not connected to the vehicle (will not verify if connected to the vehicle during test).
    Change the Comm port if not working.
    Shot in the dark, but may help.
    Last edited by Woods; 12-20-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Carb and Points!
    I have not tried the doing either of those things, your probably right on the serial cable except my laptop doesn't have a serial port. I bought the resistors to do it and then realized that wouldn't work haha.

Fuel Injected!
    I've read that there are counterfeit FT232RL IC's out there. Maybe that's what you've run into?

Do you have a signal diode and 1K resistor connected in the wire going between the adapter and the ALDL port?

Carb and Points!
    No diode or resistor in there. Could you explain why you would need that? The voltage ranges from 3 to 4.5 volts.