Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Conversion Help Needed!

Fuel Injected!
    thanks for the insight. What do you mean by "grounding the ECM case to the body?"

The outside case, was grounded through the bracket to the body. This is a no-no, which I didn't know at the time. The case needs to be "floating" electrically speaking, which is why you will see them mounted to plastic brackets in OEM applications.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Well maybe that's my problem. I just had the ECM temporarily laying in the dash behind the glove box. Lots of metal there.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The outside case, was grounded through the bracket to the body. This is a no-no, which I didn't know at the time. The case needs to be "floating" electrically speaking, which is why you will see them mounted to plastic brackets in OEM applications.
    I always wondered why the units had those crazy brackets to mount behind the dash! Thru all the conversion write ups I read on is site and others before tackling mine, I never saw mention of that. Glad I used the original bracket to mount mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbraun View Post
    Ok so here's where I'm at. When I turn the key on the CEL flashes rapidly and does not stop. I tried another ECM and get the same problem. I also tried swapping PROM chips between the two, no change. The truck will start and idle, but its like in limp mode. It does not have any power, cuts out and sputters when you try give it some gas. The CEL turns off after the truck starts.
    I had the same rapid flashes recently after starting the car up with no chip in the PCM. Had been tinkering around on things and forgot to hook up the autoprom. The flashes were telling me the car was in limp home mode. Any chance you have something like that going on? Bad solder joints, or zif connection?

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not sure, but my CEL flashes rapidly with key on, but not running. As soon as the engine starts the flashing stops. I've officially pulled the plug on the DIY portion of this project and ordered a harness from AFI. Should be in early next week and I can hook up. I'll report back after that.

Fuel Injected!
    So I have to admit a colossal amount of stupidity. I got the new AFI harness and ECM hooked up, and the SEL still blinks rapidly with key on. So for the heck of it I pulled the SEL and its a freaking flashing light, not a solid pulse!!!!!

Switched to the light that came with the AFI harness and all is good. Need to finish setting timing and get some road time, but I think I am good to go!

I had lots of trouble with spiking ignition during AE. I think it was because I set the ignition to 12* BTDC, even though I changed the parameters in TunerPro. When I returned it to 0 (as the factory set it on the 16197427 donor) all issues went away.

Sounds like you're almost there!