Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Narrowbands Reading Super Lean at WOT ($EE / LT-1)

Fuel Injected!
    This maf is way off from factory calibration and spreads. At wot you have very little usable cells. Your maximum cell is at 9000 hz. On mild cammed fbody, with stock maf you can easily go to 9700 hz. Or your usable resolution is 6-7 cell lower.

Maf is very precision sensor and the aftermarket unit can give more headache than consistent tune, I hope is not descreened too.

I checked your ve tables and they seem maxed out. You shouldn`t go over 92-3%. Try raising the cyl volume by 15-20% and scale the lower map ve regions.

Thanks for the offer - let me get back to you. I'm first going to rule out the simple stuff like if my airbox injested a plastic grocery bag, and I might try my original maf element too. I'm pretty sure I broke one of the filament welds while cleaning it.

If it responds to adding a boatload to the upper half of the table I might complain to the manufacturer. The curve I came up with adding around 20 % to the upper half has the table maxed out on the top 10 or 11 frequencies.

Fuel Injected!
    You shold focus on the highest cell at wot, cells above that is not used anyway.
    At wot from 4000-6600 rpm you hit only 8 different maf cells.
    I checked some of my logs and there is 16 cells hit from 4000-6200 rpm.
    Extending the spread at this cells might help abit, but you will still lose resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    Maf is very precision sensor and the aftermarket unit can give more headache than consistent tune,
    I'm seeing that now. After I killed my original cleaning it I had about four choices - this new replacement element, a remanned element of questionable origin, a remanned and extremely expensive complete AC Delco assembly, or switching to a new card style plastic body MAF. None were very appealing options.

I hope is not descreened too.
    No, I wouldn't even think about messing up the screen.

I checked your ve tables and they seem maxed out. You shouldn`t go over 92-3%.
    I didn't find anything to go by there so I assumed anything less than ff in the biggest cells would be acceptable. What's the reason for needing the headroom?

Scaling VE will be a good project for next spring. I'm hoping to get it working decently with the maf and then I'll be parking it to yank the engine back out and find an oil leak, possibly fit some exhaust port temp sensors, and maybe even dabble with the possibility of going coil per cylinder.

Finally had a chance to turn some wrenches tonight so removed the airbox and maf. Airbox was clean so I replaced the original maf sensor that I assumed I'd broken when the cotton swab I was cleaning it with snagged one of the filaments. Much to my surprise it worked. I guess the problem was a broken wire near the connector (I replaced both at the same time).

Did a short log running the table I flashed two days ago and the leaning out at WOT is gone. Peak airflow was 312afgs at 6300 but I had to shift because the tires let go. I guess that's in the neighborhood of 10.1khz. I ran out of road in second so I couldn't stretch it out to the rev limiter.

Missouri weather looks good tomorrow so I'm planning to go back to the factory maf table and collect some data.

My dilemna is such; when I installed the 42lb injectors I got no flow data with them. I was running SD then, and setting the ifc to 42.0 it was super rich. 42.5 also super rich. 43.0 still rich but trims were in the neighborhood. My VE table was even more maxed out then, so instead of raising ifc I scaled VE down by ~5% and started logging to re-calibrate. That said, I suspect I will be rich with the factory maf table. Knowing I need to take a little more off of VE to get the biggest cells under 93, what's my best plan of attack? Bump ifc up again or ???

Sadly autumn is hitting us hard this week so humidity is low along with air temps, and BLMs seem to rise in these conditions so I expect they'll be really close to 128 tomorrow. Damned mother nature...

I put the old girl on wheel dollies for the winter and I'm going to get my cherry picker out of storage tomorrow to pull the engine and find my oil leak. My winter project list seems to grow by the minute, but currently I'm hoping to:

1) find whats leaking oil into the bellhousing
    2) have a keyway broached into the damper hub
    3) mark my damper for tdc and possibly +15, +20, +25, +30
    4) figure out a way to fit individual temperature sensors on the header tubes (possibly under thermal wrap)
    5) send my injectors back to FIC (or someone else) for flow testing
    6) attempt to contribute to the diy-ltcc concept

However, before the ideas get swept under the rug of my poor memory I was hoping to suss out answers to the following questions relevant to this thread.

I checked your ve tables and they seem maxed out. You shouldn`t go over 92-3%.
    I was wondering why the 92-93% target on VE? Baro correction?

Try raising the cyl volume by 15-20% and scale the lower map ve regions.
    Am I correct to assume you suggested the cylinder volume constant because it does not affect MAF fueling calculations?

Am I correct to assume injector flow constant likewise affects both MAF and VE?

Fuel Injected!
    Your assumptions are all correct.

Keep fuel constant as accurate as possible.
    I will give complete guide at a later stage, since now I am overwhelmed with 3d tables hacking.

Thanks kur4o. So I'd be better off correcting my IFC and using the cylinder volume to scale my VE table so the biggest cells are < 93.

I anxiously await your complete hacker's guide to tuning. Or any pieces of information you choose to share.

One last question. How confident are you about what you posted here?