Thread: Gen VI CKP Sensor Position

Fuel Injected!

Gen VI CKP Sensor Position

Does the crank reluctor need to be centered on the sensor - would anyone have a picture of a Gen VI setup? I'm doing a custom build using the Gen VI timing cover and the reluctor is slightly off center - don't know if that is an issue or not.

See attached pics of a 5.7 liter CKP.

I've been working on a RamJet 502 with a crank position sensor, which is aligned EXACTLY like the 5.7 pics posted below. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...osition-Sensor

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    The distance to the sensor (as discussed in the linked thread) I'm sure is important but since I'm using all oem parts I'd like to think it won't be an issue. But I'm not sure I understand why this is relevant to my original question.

Quote Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
    The distance to the sensor (as discussed in the linked thread) I'm sure is important but since I'm using all oem parts I'd like to think it won't be an issue. But I'm not sure I understand why this is relevant to my original question.
    I was trying establish what recent experience I have with the BBC crank position sensor. I'm not sure if a 502 is considered Gen VI or not? What I observed with both the L31 Vortec 5.7 liter CKP alignment (pics above) and the 502 CKP alignment is the trigger wheel tooth is half way across the CKP sensor when piston #1 is TDC of the compression stroke.

The pics below are not related to your original question. I'm showing pics of my dual trigger distributor using the L31 / L29 distributor. I relocated the CKP to the distributor, instead of installing the CKP parts in the crankshaft (saving a lot of work). The dual trigger distributor successfully ran a SBC to 5700 RPM's on a engine dyno. The alignment between the CKP and CMP needs to be precisely aligned for the engine to run and complete the CASE learn successfully.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images