Thread: A Successful TBI Conversion on my 78 Vette

A Successful TBI Conversion on my 78 Vette

Wanted to post a quickie in thanks to all the info on this site that helped in my conversion on my 1978 Corvette. Had it down for about three weeks while running fuel lines, swapping intake manifold, wiring and about 100 little details. Fired it up this afternoon, it started right off the bat. Lots better than all the cranking it took to fill my float bowl on the quadrejet.

Only surprise I had was a dead coolant sensor. Swapped that out with a known good one and all A-OK.

Here is a short video I shot right after I dialed in the timing.

Really glad I made the purchase of an Autoprom. Did a few changes on the fly to raise idle. Was sure easy to upload the changes once I figured out which table it was reading from.

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Thanks! Pretty big thrill when it fired up effortlessly the first time. Going to be a good platform for future mods, like electric fans. Possibly even a tuned port system further down the road. For now, just want to get it put back together so I can take it cruising.

Plus, the garage needs a good cleaning after this!

Yep, really good feeling when you do something like this and it works.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Did my 79 vette tbi swap last year. Sure runs nice compared to the old Qjet. Going to rebuild the 4l60e from the donor and install over the winter. Will bring the crusing rpm's down and mileage up. Also installing an edelbrock top end kit to spice it up. Thinking about doing a home built mpi conversion too seeing how the engine will flow better.

Fuel Injected!
    Have you done any tuning yet besides Idle with the auto prom? And I assume your motor is basically stock Corvette motor? What TBI unit did you use and what injectors.
    Last edited by C2500; 01-09-2018 at 04:22 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Motor is a targetmaster replacement engine before i got it. I have an autoprom and homemade alda cable for tuning. Donor vrhicle was a 1993 chev 1500 truck with a 350 and 4l60e. Ecm is a 625

Almost the exact same setup in mine, down to the replacement Targetmaster (mine is a Goodwrench) 350. I'm using a 7427 ecu. I've got a manual trans, otherwise I would have done the 4L60E swap as well. Prior to the TBI install, I installed a TKO600. Having an overdrive gear makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.