Thread: Wide band decisions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wide band decisions...

I need to decide if I should get the 14point7 SLC_OEM, or the SLC_DIY2...

If I get the SLC_OEM, I would basically be replacing what I have with the same functionality, which is fine, but would need to keep the Tuner View II I have on my dash to have the real time readout.

If I get the SLC_DIY2, then I will gain a dedicated display (that I would have to find a spot for), and a bunch of other inputs, I will very likely never use, I wouldn't have to rely on the Tuner View II after I get another working water temp gauge too...

I'm leaning towards the DIY2, since I love how my DIY(1) works, that I use as a stand alone for tuning friend's cars...

http://14point7.com/Products.php
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Have you seen the new MTX from inovate? I saw them for $150ish... don't know if you could hook up the output to yout tunerview though?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yeah, looking to stay away from Innovate anymore...

I don't know about that MTX set-up, but everything else of theirs needs a serial connection, I don't have any luck with serial to USB converters, and the 14point7 stuff is native USB. ;)

The Tuner View is connected to my ALDL port, so it displays what is spit out from the ECM. I have the LC-1 feeding my ECM.

--==EDIT==--

I just looked and the MTX gauge from Innovate still uses serial connections.

Is this 1998, or 2012?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Other than my LC-1 working well with USB adapter I'd never do it again... it's like one end, you need a gauge, then have to build the middle harness cause nothing is long enough... but the MTX seems to have that covered. Right price for gauge, controller and wide band.

But your right, why would they go through the effort to make a nice package and still leave a serial connection? Only laptop I know of that still has a serial port is the Panisonic ToughBook but who can afford one? New Windows 7 starts at $2500 to $3500?

I got lucky with my USB to serial converter years ago, but many do not work? Moates has one that works with our stuff, I think Inovate does too?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

the MTX still uses a serial cable.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Super Moderator
    i find nothing wrong with serial communications, assuming you don't need some speed that COM ports can't achieve.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E