Thread: Starts and dies immediately; runs briefly if MAP hose disconnected

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Starts and dies immediately; runs briefly if MAP hose disconnected

I am in troubleshooting hell, but I think I see the light. Maybe.

Randomly died one morning 30 seconds after starting. For troubleshooting background, the Only thing that changed was it had idled the day before for an hour to charge the battery. My wife went and turned it off, reported that it seemed hot. No signs of mechanical problems.

Now it will start, run for a second and die. I can see the fuel stop spraying from the injectors.

Went back to a known good bin. Tried different PROM and PCM. Troubleshot fuel pressure, 14 psi steady. Tried spare injectors. Tried new ICM and ignition coil. Verified EGR valve is closed. Oil pressure is good. Tach reads seemingly accurate. O2 sensor output seems inline with what the wide band says. TPS voltage accurate.

MAP pressure seems weird, but I don't know what normal is. Tried new MAP sensor, same problems. But, if I start it with the MAP hose disconnected, it runs for several seconds, then revs for half a second then dies. Watching the datastream, I can see that with the MAP disconnected, it runs rich for a few seconds, then tries to lean it out, and dies. If at any point I open the throttle at all it dies.

I can make it idle if I tease the MAP hose on and off of the fitting. I will attach a log file where I was making it idle like that for a few seconds before I let it die.

What in the ever loving hell is going on?

The other wild card is that I found some mouse turds on the intake manifold. No chewed wires found, but I haven't taken off the dash or probed any wires yet.

I'll buy a six pack for whoever can solve this damn thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1994 Chevy G30 Van "Big Blue"
    5.7 TBI, Vortec Heads, Summit Intake, Thorley Short Headers with dual 2.5" exhaust, 4L80E transmission