Thread: Swap: 5.7 TBI -> Vortec heads EFI -> 0411 pcm with roadrunner from moates.net-HELP!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Hello Hog,

Thank you very much for your wide open reply. You gave alot of helpfull information!, Saying that TC has been designed for more experienced user, well yes, i gues that is why most of people recommend me the EFI Live to start from, and scince i have the RoadRunner already, i can any time purchase the TC in future. Here is a link to a Tuner Cat VS EFI Live forum talk i runned in to recently, it is a rery old one: http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewto...d5319793174c49, where they say that TC cannot relearn the crank, since it an old article, i wonder, can TC nowdays perform the crank relearn operation?

Unfortunately i can not find a dissent comparison of the two softs, and it is preaty hard to decide which on to choose...
    Last edited by Aksl; 10-04-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    So, i have tryed and made a pavement to moates.net, for license of EFI Live, and got an update on my order, asking me to send them a serial number of my EFI Live scan cable, which guess what, i do not have. And i'm not really wealling to buy it for 900$.

So guys, i guess i will have to join you, and go with the TunnerCat.
    And i hope you can give me a hand with starup of using TC...
    Last edited by Aksl; 10-05-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Aksl,

Please understand that TC is an editor and flash utility only. It has no scanning or 2-way control capability at all, so it can
    not do a crank relearn and can not provide you with any datalogging. You will want to make sure that you have some other
    way to log data in order to be able to tune your project.

-Scott

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Scott,

Thank you for precaution, well, i think i can get way cheapper scanner than EFILive cable, plus i figured out, that if i need a scanner, for crank relearn procedure, it is just one time need procedure to make, i can pay the nearest service center for diagnostic service to be made.
    What do you mean by 2-way control capability?
    As well i wonder, since you and #Hog use TC, what do you use for scanning, crank relearn, and 2-way control capability (watever that means)...?

Thank you in advance!

Fuel Injected!
    The 411 PCM (along with many others as well) support commands from the scantool to the PCM. A crank relearn
    is an example of one of these commands (also sometimes called 2-way controls). Others that are supported by
    EFILive and HPTuners include:

Turning on and off cooling fans, check engine light, ignition coils and injectors
    Commanding the engine to a fixed idle speed or IAC position
    Commanding the engine to a fixed spark advance or air fuel ratio
    Commanding the transmission to a specific gear or line pressure
    Locking and unlocking the torque converter

These controls can be very helpful when tuning and troubleshooting a new setup.
    I use HPTuners for this capability, as well as for my primary scantool.

-Scott

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you very much for sharing Scott, well i have a friend that has the Tech2 scan tool, he bought it through Aliexpress, he uses that scan, and i used to borow it of him, before i started this project. I think it can do all that, plus to all, the cost of it was something like 120$.

Fuel Injected!
    2 way controls are better known as Bi-Directional control. Since the engine, trans and Antilock Braking System(ABS) are controlled by the same controller, its called a VCM(Vehicle Control Module). As such if you have a Scan Tool, such as your friends Tech 2, you can do work on your brake system, then use the scan tool to activate the ABS motor in order to clear it of air.
    You can activate any electric or aux fans to ensure they are wired correctly
    You can engage and lock an electric trans in any gear you wish, as well as toggle the TCC(torque Converter Clutch)

And perform a CASE relearn (CASE=Crankshaft Angle Sensor Error) CASE relearns allow the VCM to accurately detect misfires after a new engine, different crank, new crank reluctor are installed into the truck.

Is there no way to tune with EFILive without buying the V9? I thought you could use a V7 or something like that and only need the V9 for the ability to flash a PCM?

Are you sure that they weren't asking for the number of your Roadrunner so that you could apply the EFILive/Roadrunner license?

peace
    Hog