Bringing TBI and Multi Port Fuel Injection to a New Level.     EFI Conversions and Tuning! Seattle to Portland! E-mail Tuning Consultant!

Thread: Swap: 5.7 TBI -> Vortec heads EFI -> 0411 pcm with roadrunner from moates.net-HELP!!!

Hybrid View

Fuel Injected!

Swap: 5.7 TBI -> Vortec heads EFI -> 0411 pcm with roadrunner from moates.net-HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

Well, i have a 1990 k1500 5.7 Silverado stepside 2-door 4wd.

I have rebuild the engine, installed KB 0.25 forged pistons, comp cam 08-467-8, 1998 tahoe cylinder heads with manifold and all upper parts, AC DELCO 217-3029 89060440 spider injector kit.

And runned in to alot of problems, programming the blackbox pcm for my setup, basically becouse i left the 4R700 gearbox, had to run a manual gearbox tune, that does not regulate the idle when in D position. Anyway, changing the tune is a pain in the ....

At different forums, as well here, i was adviced to have a look at moaets.net roadrunner and 0411 swap, becouse with it, i would be able to change my tune in real time.

I have bought 0411 from moates.net, bought an 4L65E used transmission, and was getting ready to install all that and make the final swap, just had the last bit, is buying a software to flash in and tune the 0411 PCM, since it comes without tune. So i chose the EFI Live software, that costs 250$ per single vin licence. And contacted moates.net, to make sure i cose the correct user friendly software and will be able to start my swap. So yes, EFI Live was the right choice, but i was recomended to get the EFI Live v2 cable, that costs 900$.

So my questions are:

1. Is someone here using roadrunner with 0411 PCM with EFI Live software?
    2. Are you as well using EFI Live v2 cable, and what for?
    3. Can i flash tune to roadrunner via usb cable comming out of the 0411 PCM i recieved from moates.net with roadrunner preinstalled and usb cable out of pcm?
    4. Can in realtime make changes to the tune via that cable?
    5. At moates.net, i was adviced to get EFILive FlashScan V2 cable to integrate the datalogging and emulation, that makes me confused, does that mean i can not load a tune without this flash tool and cannot use real time emulation?, than what is the usb cable for, that is sticking out of the 0411 PCM and is connected to roadrunner, that sits in pcm insead of the original chip.

I'm confused, please, could someone explain!
    I mean, i will be very disapointed if it's all that way, and extra 900$ to spend, i mean if i have to, i will, since i am already involved myself into all that, but it is really not clear for me...

Thank you in advance!

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, since no one is answearing, the main question, what do i need the usb cable for, thats coming out of my 0411 PCM with Roadrunner in it, i did some web search, and found only one article about moates.net and its roadrunner product, explaining it more or less precise. Here it is: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...es-roadrunner/

And as i understood the info from it, it is all this way.:
    If you have an odb ll programmer, like EFI Live, with it you can flash and change tunes whith your vehicle non working, and than start your car and check the result. If you get roadrunner installed instead of your chip, you will be able to change the tune while car is running, and see the result straight away. But you still need the programmer.

Hi Aksl.
    Not very many people have the 0411/Roadrunner setup. Your questions may be answered better by posting them on the EFILive forum. There is a subsection devoted to the Roadrunner. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your advice, i sure will direct my question there, i runned in to EFILive forum, but just didn't have it in mind, and sure did not know, they have some subsection directed to 0411/Roadrunner setup.

Thanks alot!

Fuel Injected!
    Ow, and by the way, thank you very much for sending me the file, with wiring set up for the swap of blackbox to 0411 PCM. I realy appreciate it!!

Thank you very much! :) ��

Electronic Ignition!
    I use my Roadrunner PCM with TunerCat, not EFI Live, but the answer is the still the same.

The Roadrunner PCM no longer has flash memory - the Roadrunner emulator module replaces it internal to the PCM.
    The USB cable exiting the 411 PCM is used to program the Roadrunner emulator PCB - no additional programming
    hardware is required. When you buy the realtime option for either EFILive or TunerCat, it gives you the ability
    to write directly to the Roadrunner PCM through the USB port, both to do a full program, as well as for making
    changes in realtime.

At some point, you may want to remove the Roadrunner PCM from this project vehicle and use it in another
    project. When that happens, you will then need a means to flash a standard 411 PCM with the file you will
    have developed using the Roadrunner. This is where the EFI Live programming cable comes in - it will allow
    you to flash program a stock 12200411 PCM.

-Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:57 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Scott,

Thank you very much for commenting, and saving me a fortune on the v2 flash scan. I am building this vehicle for my personal use, and I will not be using roadrunner for commercial usage, just for my vehicle and my self. So thank you very much for making it clear for me. I will be using EFI Live software, becouse it seems to be more friendly for user. I will still have to learn it, becouse i never used it, but as i know TunerCat iss much more complex to use, is that true by your opinion, regarding thet you are using TunerCat, and you are used to it?

Well and plus to all, EFI Live license are cheapper than same license for TunerCat...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    Hi Aksl.
    Not very many people have the 0411/Roadrunner setup. Your questions may be answered better by posting them on the EFILive forum. There is a subsection devoted to the Roadrunner. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Finally i got the TunerCat RT software instead of EFILive, because in order to buy the EFILive license, you are obliged to have the EFILive V2 cable and tuner, otherwise EFILive would not issue the license. So i went with the TunerCat. I`m now looking for the base tune to start of, for my set up. I wonder if you could help me with that. As well i wonder, if there is a list of settings somewhere in the web, that i have to consider, and pay attention to when changinr the tune for my setup???

Thank you!
    Last edited by Aksl; 1 Week Ago at 10:19 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    whats your setup?

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Nisanda, I have rebuild the engine, installed KB 0.25 forged pistons, comp cam 08-467-8, 1998 tahoe cylinder heads with manifold and all upper parts, AC DELCO 217-3029 89060440 spider injector kit. And i will install 4L60E gearbox. And its a 4wd with manual transfer case.

Ow, and i have no EGR, and a traight out muffler.
    Last edited by Aksl; 1 Week Ago at 04:23 AM.