Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lucky's '96 Mustang DOHC Swap

Re: Lucky's '96 Mustang DOHC Swap

While the MAF adds a whole level of complication, fabrication, wiring and PITA factor - it does let the EEC make a very good guess as to how it should run your engine. For the first tests I used the stock MAF from the Stang with the stock computer. So the EEC was getting real air flow numbers. Even with the larger injectors in the DOHC engine (24lb vs 19lb) it ran fairly well.

I had the IMRC connected to a toggle switch since the stock EEC won't switch it. I was having trouble finding software to tune the Strategy my 96 was running so a trip to the wreckers yielded an EEC from a 97 running the CDAN4 strategy. I found software support with Binary Editor for tuning and EEC Analyzer for datalogging and analysis for this EEC. It took me a while to learn this Ford tuning stuff. For a long time the stock tune ran better than my custom tunes. But eventually I got the hang of it.

A trip to the drag strip produced 6 runs at 97 mph, best time of 14.5 sec. Turns out I hadn't disabled the speed limiter - it starts pulling timing at 90 mph and shuts off fuel at 100 mph. :(

Since then I've gutted the MAF for more flow, put on a Magnaflow cat back exhaust and done a lot of tuning. It pulls a LOT harder above 5000 RPM than it did at the drag strip. EEC Analyzer has some fun tools like virtual drag strip and a dyno calculator. Here is what it calculates

Take it with a grain of salt ;) I have been reworking the MAF Transfer table to get rid of that lean spot. Probably the single most helpful tool on EA is the MAF Calculation tool. It calculates MAF comparisons like this

The bottom row is volts from the MAF and the side numbers are airflow. The yellow line is the new calculated MAF calibration. Notice the little spike it put in to correct the lean spot. Cool 8-)
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

wow Lucky, that is a SWEET project! That ram air set up was a lot of work but looks awsome!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Rebuilt a new/used front cover the last few days. Been a long time since I tried to do a real paint job. I'm kinda rusty.

This urethane skin had a couple big rips in it from an accident the previous owner enjoyed. Fixed them up but it's still kinda stretched. Hope it fits ok
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

This is dragging on too long - need to get working on the house. But the parts are getting painted and going on the car. I like it

the new top is on too. It's like scarey white. I'll never keep it clean

This shot really shows the extra shadow I painted in on the door. I think perhaps I need to do the front fender too ...

Note; jury is still out on ricer tail lights or ?

American Muscle car with Ricer tail lights!

So there's one vote...... FAIL!
    just my opinion...

Lucky why don't you put this up in your Ford section?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-