Thread: Block recommendations plz

Fuel Injected!

Block recommendations plz

My 5.7 tbi motor just went out on my 93 k1500. Its dark so I am not sure what happened but I lost oil pressure and oil is everywhere. I will get a good look tomorrow evening. It made no funny noises and was shut off immediately. Im not sure about having this motor rebuilt, especially being 2 hrs from the closest machine shop..So I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations or good luck with purchasing a new short block or possibly long block from any certain suppliers? I want to get a new 5.7 vortec short block and swap my new parts onto it. Im still thinking of keeping the 193 swirl ports since my new intake wont fit the vortecs and Im concerned with the coolant issues everybody seems to have. Any insight would be helpful...This will be my first actual build. Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Get a look at it in the morning. If it didn't throw a rod and window the block, you should be fine to have it rebuilt. If you have an engine oil cooler something may have failed i.e. an o ring or a hose. Did something punch a hole in the oil pan?

Fuel Injected!
    I wont be able to get a look until this evening. Towed it straight to my dads garage. It looked as if it came from the front of the block, but couldnt see anything obvious last night.

Fuel Injected!
    Summit and Jegs do have shortblocks and longblocks for sale

Fuel Injected!
    Gm goodwrench motor? Easy to purchase and swap. If its nothing serious engine wise fix where the oil came out of and run it.

Fuel Injected!
    Got a chance to stop by my parents to take a look..Ends up one of the new (3 months old) oil cooler lines ripped apart, right where the hard line and soft lines are crimped together. So hopefully I can just fill her back up with some good oil and run it. I am obviously gonna rip those pos lines out of there and just fab my own. Should have done it in the first place rather than relying on auto zone replacements. I just really hope I didnt do any damage to any bearings or internals. It only coasted for about 8 seconds without giving it any gas, and like I said..It made no noises what so ever and didnt lock up. I am close to swapping in my cam and intake etc..I hope

Fuel Injected!
    Did you shut the ignition off or did the engine lock up?

Fuel Injected!
    I shut the engine off as soon as I coasted off the road. Was going 60 on highway with a lot of traffic. It def didnt lock up and sounded fine.

Fuel Injected!
    Try to turn the crankshaft using a socket and ratchet/breaker bar on the balancer bolt. If the engine will turn fairly smooth you should be OK. I would definitely put some lightweight oil in it and then drain it to see if you get any nonferrous metal out of the pan. If there is nothing major in the drained oil you should be fine. Once you finish the repairs to the hoses and put new oil in, spin the engine over with the ignition disabled until the oil pressure comes up.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the help Tom.. I just got home from working on my truck. Its my DD and only vehicle. Luckily, I got it all wrapped up and running just great. I pulled the POS dorman oil cooler lines and replaced with custom made hydraulic type hose and fittings. I also pulled the adapter from the block and put a new gasket and o-ring in. Man was there oil everywhere! I cleaned it up the best I could, but it'll take a couple more good washes to get it 100%. I am happy now with no leaks and the motor sounds just fine...Glad I shut her off before everything went really bad.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm glad you didn't have any major damage.