Thread: Bin file for Buick 350 needed for 350 Chevy TBI.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Question Bin file for Buick 350 needed for 350 Chevy TBI.

Hey folks. FNG here.

1969 Jeepster Commando with manual transmission.

I put a stock Buick 350 in it with 4bbl intake, and I'm running a Rochester Q-jet right now, perfectly.

Wanting to go TBI. I got all the stuff for a 350 Chevy TBI swap.

It came as a complete set from warrperformance on fleabay. (A bunch of former Army helicopter mechanics)

Complete setup, with reman TBI, intake adapter from TBI to the 4 bbl intake, 1227747 computer and all new sensors and trimmed/labeled wiring harness. Quality stuff.

Talking with the guys I bought it from, they have the stock Chevy 350 manual bin file, and they said it would probably run rich at idle...and the computer "should" learn over time and lean out...

While I understand the computer can "learn" certain amount based upon displacement, the Buick 350 is a completely different motor than the Chevy 350: Buick is a 3.85" stroke, 3.8" bore vs. a 2.8" stroke and 4.0" bore for the Chevy. Low RPM torque motor vs. a high rpm motor.

Wondering if any of you have a bin file for a Buick 350 I could program in, or get a chip for, so that the computer can adjust more correctly for the characteristics of the Buick motor.

Willing to pay, if required for your time and service here.

I plan on purchasing the complete tuning package from gearhead or moates at some point to further dial it in.

Appreciate any help.

I can be reached directly at swrobinson@prodigy.net
    Thank you,

Spencer
    1969 jeepster Commando, Buick 350. 350 Chevy TBI conversion with spark control. 1227747 ECM.

The stock bin will work decently.

I don't know what they are basing the idea that the engine "will run rich at idle" on, because both are 350s, both are even fire, both are relatively the same as far as basics are concerned. The ECM doesn't care that stroke or bore size might be different (with one caveat I'll get to), so install it and start it up, you'll probably find that it runs pretty decently. Then fine tune it to get it as near perfect as you can. That caveat I mentioned is that the knock sensor seems to be based on bore diameter as far as choosing the right one, though there has been plenty of debate on that and it seems that selecting a knock sensor based on bore diameter OR overall displacement seems to work equally as well.

I've installed GM EFI systems on many engines that were very different than their original intended applications and staring with a bin file for an engine of similar displacement, same number of cylinders and will actually work on that ECM, I've never had an issue getting an engine to start and run decently, then fine tune.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 09-14-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks, Six Shooter. New to the tuning game. Have to read up on how to tune, and what to tune for. When I get a basic understanding, I'll invest in the tuner software and hardware, and start burning chips... When I get there I might send you a pm for any tips...

Appreciate the response, and the help.

Cheers.

I'm a 50-yr old guy that is decent at fabbing and welding, and good at tuning carbs and engines ... Just wanted the reliability of an EFI system, and now I'm embarking on a new journey...
    Thank you,

Spencer
    1969 jeepster Commando, Buick 350. 350 Chevy TBI conversion with spark control. 1227747 ECM.

Just post in the forums when you need help. You'll get more responses and different ideas.

Tuning the EFI is not overly difficult, just the '7747 is very slow to update the datalogging side so it can miss some things that change rather quickly and can take a long while to tune fully.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I would suggest a knock sensor and ESC module for a 1987-1990 Cadillac Fleetwood with the 307 Oldsmobile. The Oldsmobile 307 also had a 3.8" bore and should work out well for the Buick 350. I suggest that specific year range because I know they used the same style ESC module as the TBI. I converted one of the Fleetwoods with the 307 to TBI from the CCC Q-Jet a few years ago and daily drove it for about 6 months before I sold it. The car actually ran very decently on the stock 305 Caprice chip. Both engines were rated the same 170 HP and I practically did not have to touch the WOT fueling and only tweaked on the part-throttle stuff. On the other hand I had to pull the Oldsmobile timing map from the CCC Computer

I would not worry to much about starting the engine with the 350 Chevy .BIN file. The Buick engine may run a little rich compared to the Chevy because it is rated less power but that is the beauty of fine tuning. I think the factory Buick 350 engine once Net ratings came out in 1972 made about 140-170 HP depending on the year and about 250-260 ft/lbs. The Chevy 350 makes about 200 HP/300 TQ. Since your Jeep is a swap it likely does not have the pellet box style catalytic converter and probably has a better exhaust setup than what came in the factory GM cars with the Buick 350. Ditching that early cat should boost power about 20 HP. So what I am getting at is the fueling should not be that much different provided the Buick still has a factory cam capable of good vacuum.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-14-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    Hey folks. FNG here.

1969 Jeepster Commando with manual transmission.
    the Buick 350 is a completely different motor than the Chevy 350: Buick is a 3.85" stroke, 3.8" bore vs. a 2.8" stroke and 4.0" bore for the Chevy.

I can be reached directly at swrobinson@prodigy.net
    my friend the chevy 350 is 3.48 stroke not 2.8 bore is correct at 4.0