Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY LTCC or similar system for LT1s

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    Just found this floating on the web.
    http://www.bowlingss.com/DownLoads/P...Holden_LS1.pdf

Check page 40 for indepth view of the ECT sensor.
    Just been reading p40 on the coolant temperature sensor. That's interesting. I've not seen seen a sensor used with dual range/sensitivity before.
    Presumably there must be some bit in the PCM that stores this info when it's crossed up over the 51C threshold.
    I suppose it could also be done easily with discrete components and a latch once it's passed the 1st limit.

... Does it switch back if the sensor is cooled down whilst the PCM is still powered?

Mitch
    '95 Z28 M6 -Just the odd mod.
    '80 350 A3 C3 Corvette - recent addition.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
    Are these thresholds specified by ADC count or the conversion value (which is the "engineering" unit I mentioned previously)? I'd love to know their exact values and where the compare branches are in the program.

I dug into the LT-1 disassebly I've been annotating and have learned a lot, but it's unclear to me where these switch points reside.

I've been able to draw several connections between the 0xEED1 and 0xEFD1 tables and some other data points I've collected, so I feel like I'm very close to having this part nailed down. The biggest difference I've come across is that the AVR has a 10 bit ADC processor (0-1023) whereas the PCM seems to have an 8 bit ADC processor (0-255). So I'll need to divide all the ADC values by 4. Otherwise it looks like it will be a walk in the park.

Thanks! That's very informative that they published the actual resistance values and circuit design. Cool find!

I've been busting my butt to get all the information I have incorporated into the next firmware as well as working towards a build that handles temperature compensation. Best case, this is going to eat up at least 10-12 days to get to a "rough draft". But I'll do my best to make time to get some spark durations with different gaps and electrode materials.

Ultimately I'd like to build out a zener pile and test spark energy across the board. But at this point in the project I'd rather have a working (if incomplete) firmware for the one and only test subject, because it's a lot more fun to own if I can drive it.

Side note - since discovering that the coils I have require < 4ms of dwell, I'd been nudging the dwell target down little by little. But after a rudimentary analysis of the test data I decided to try boosting cranking dwell by quite a bit, and cold starts have thus far responded with great enthusiasm. I feel like it's about to get real (or blow up in a magnificent ball of fire).
    LOL yup cranking voltage can be around 8 volts, so yes, you can dramatically help cold start especially with a bad cold start tune :)
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Code:
    RESERVED:66C3 ; =============== S U B R O U T I N E =======================================
    RESERVED:66C3
    RESERVED:66C3
    RESERVED:66C3 COOL_FILT_ROUTsub_66C3:                 ; DATA XREF: RESERVED:6293o
    RESERVED:66C3                 ldx     #$EED1
    RESERVED:66C6                 ldaa    byte_1807
    RESERVED:66C9                 bita    #2
    RESERVED:66CB                 bne     loc_66D0
    RESERVED:66CD                 ldx     #$EFD1
    RESERVED:66D0
    RESERVED:66D0 loc_66D0:                               ; CODE XREF: COOL_FILT_ROUTsub_66C3+8j
    RESERVED:66D0                 ldab    byte_109        ;
    RESERVED:66D0                                         ; raw ad ect
    RESERVED:66D3                 abx
    RESERVED:66D4                 ldaa    0,x
    RESERVED:66D6                 staa    byte_1A7        ; raw lookup ect
    RESERVED:66D9                 ldx     #$1807
    RESERVED:66DC                 cmpa    #$78 ; 'x'      ; 42 raw
    RESERVED:66DC                                         ; table1
    RESERVED:66DE                 bhi     loc_66EC
    RESERVED:66E0                 cmpa    #$6A ; 'j'      ; d0 raw
    RESERVED:66E0                                         ; table0
    RESERVED:66E2                 bhi     loc_66F2
    RESERVED:66E4                 bset    0,x 2
    RESERVED:66E7                 bset    byte_80 2
    RESERVED:66EA                 bra     loc_66F2
    RESERVED:66EC ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RESERVED:66EC
    RESERVED:66EC loc_66EC:                               ; CODE XREF: COOL_FILT_ROUTsub_66C3+1Bj
    RESERVED:66EC                 bclr    0,x 2
    RESERVED:66EF                 bclr    byte_80 2
    Here is the switch code. The pcm converts the raw adc input to table lookup value and decides based on the lookup value. So converting to raw adc voltage is a little tricky. The thresholds used are lookup values of $78 =40*C and $6a=50*C. You have to find where these thresholds are stored in the lookup tables and count the adc steps.

I do the counting and from table0 $78 is reached at $31 ADC counts and $6A at $44 ADC counts
    table1 $78 is at $b8 ADC counts and $6A is at $CB counts.

To converts adc counts to voltage use the formula. X*(5/255) or X*(5/256), not sure which one is correct.

$31=0.96v equals 40*C table0
    $44=1.328v equals 50*C table0
    $b8=3.6v equals 50*C table1
    $cb=3.965v equals 40*C table1

This translate to
    As the engine is warming voltage goes steady down from 5 v to 0.96. When 0.96 is reached the rc network is switched and the voltage raises to 3.6v. Than it continues to drop till 0volts. If the engine gets cooler and the voltage raises to 3.965volts, the rc network is switched again and the voltage drops to 1.328volts and keeps raising with the engine getting cooler.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I think I've got this mostly figured out, and will be using the lookup value internally (call it an engineering unit, whatever). It's very handy because it gives operating temp in 8 bits without needing a sign. Then I can just convert it to C or F if needed for logging.

I would advise staying away from referencing voltages because there can be lots of precision lost converting back and forth. Now I just need to test how close the two ADCs are between the AVR and the PCM. I'm having to bit shift the 10 bit AVR value to get it to a 0-255 range.

Fuel Injected!
    I finally found a calibration that uses map reference for the coil. It is 2002 express van l31 engine with the same coil and ICM module as 96-97 LT1.
    It is a single coil and that can explain the less dwell on lower map to offload the coil.

Though it doesn't seem like GM is using it in their (coil per cylinder) calibrations I think I'm going to keep working towards the goal of using the MAP input, or at the very least reading it and having the data available. It causes very little overhead so even if it's unused it's nice to have the ability to include MAP compensation in a future build.

Progress has been slow this week due to work and crappy winter weather. Found out the hard way the breaker for our 10kva UPS was 10 amps smaller than was called for and that the panel it's in is ridiculously overloaded. So I've been spending some "quality time" there playing electrician in addition to IT guy.

Anyway, by adding a point or so of skew I've been able to get the (converted to 8 bit) ADC readings from the coolant sensor to match the readings in the ALDL stream very closely, and initial spark advance seems to be working reliably so I think this should work. I'm planning to pull the controller out of my car tonight to add another wire for the spare output so I can also use the MAP input.

I've also added a bit of code to tell me where the engine was at the time the controller began seeing high res data. Not that it's needed, I just wanted to know...

Code:
    diy-ltcc-0.9.20
    startDegrees=55 startLRCount=1 startSeqDeg=0 invertSeq=0 firstCyl=7
    initSaDegrees=8 firstFire=7 adcEctAvg=80
    1 : F 16721 : C 79 : V 11.71 : T 0
    2 : F 7258 : C 79 : V 14.19 : T 0
    3 : F 7289 : C 79 : V 14.19 : T 0
    In this example it saw 55 degrees of rotation before seeing a TDC signal on the low res line, and the sequencer detected the next cylinder was 7, so it was 55 btdc on the #5 compression stroke.

Fuel Injected!
    Forgive me butting in. I know nothing about code, but I do about electrical theory and the dielectric strength of gasses. Lowering the ignition output is of course possible at lower cylinder pressures, but the benefit to me seems to be largely in reduced wear across the spark gaps including those in the distributor. With coil-per-cylinder the reduced dwell certainly reduces heat and power consumption, but by how much?
    Joshua
    1994 Corvette, 6MT, Z07

Quote Originally Posted by Joshie225 View Post
    Forgive me ... I know nothing about code
    Scientific method is paramount, so no forgiveness is necessary. The code is merely the vehicle that manifests the science.

but I do about electrical theory and the dielectric strength of gasses. Lowering the ignition output is of course possible at lower cylinder pressures, but the benefit to me seems to be largely in reduced wear across the spark gaps including those in the distributor.
    All this is worth considering. But we've taken the wear parts of the distributor out of the picture so the plugs are the only thing remaining to erode.

With coil-per-cylinder the reduced dwell certainly reduces heat and power consumption, but by how much?
    The power consumption topic is an interesting one. Looking at the dwell tables of the coil per cylinder calibrations it seems to me they aren't really caring much about power consumption. At lower voltages (see my next comment about dwell limiting) the dwell time seems to be focused on maximum spark energy for starting. But the other condition that causes low voltages (a dead charging system) to me it seems like they would want to maximize runtime to get the owner home (or to a garage if they're the typical consumer-driver).

On the thermal side of things, all the coils I've tested thus far have built-in dwell limiting that's both voltage and temperature dependent. This is entirely my opinion, but after testing 5 different coils at 6-8 different voltage bands and 10 or so temperature ranges (350 data points give-or-take) I think it would be all but impossible to "hurt" one of these coils thermally with normal use regardless of how much dwell you're throwing at them. When I use the qualifier "normal" I mean having coolant in the engine, and some measurable amount of oil pressure. Cleetus McFarland types need not apply here.

With that said, thanks for contributing - all good points worth considering.

I got absolutely nothing done tonight due to more work stuff. Fingers crossed that's done and over with.

Fuel Injected!
    I brought up wearing of the spark gaps due to the distributor-equipped Express Van that have, as ku4ro found, "...map reference for the coil." That code could be there for long-term durability. Coil-per-cylinder doesn't have that durability issue with decent spark plugs.

Ooo, that's good coil testing! I wasn't thinking about hurting a coil in the near-term, but thinking about long-term reliability due to thermal degradation and also the tiny bit of CAFE improvement engineers are chasing through reduced electrical load.
    Joshua
    1994 Corvette, 6MT, Z07

Fuel Injected!
    I see some good progress here.

You can use map reference for heavy acceleration and deceleration events. On heavy load and off load, bumping the dwell +-10% to the theoretical best dwell.
    So you need to get a delta map reading. Think about adding some blending factor for gradual dwell change.

I am still trying to find how beneficial is lowering dwell on rpm increase. I will do some test with my test ls1 coil vehicle with different dwell settings at wot.
    Another test that might reveal dwell vs rpm relation is to put a coil for an hour with 4ms on, 2 ms off interval. Timing can be varied by your decision. The idea is to get the coil very limited off time and see how it behaves, does some charge remains in the coil, does it heat up or the dwell limiter might exhibit and the spark output degrades.

Now you know the start position of the opti. How about record the off position and save the data in ram, I suspect the avr can be brought to bed with some timer. Not immediately on ign off. And some data can be saved there. It can be used on immediate hot restart.
    I have runned 10ms on startup with no issues. That might be the best startup dwell since on most calibrations that is used as target. You can also specify a dwell adder for engine off and checkbyte for engine on with some conditions met.

You can use map reference for heavy acceleration and deceleration events. ... bumping the dwell +-10% ...
    So you need to get a delta map reading.
    That's almost exactly how works now minus smoothing. Ramping a 10% change into something like 4 milliseconds seems awfully pointless and eats a timer that I need elsewhere.

Another test that might reveal dwell vs rpm relation is to put a coil for an hour with 4ms on, 2 ms off interval.
    I'm not seeing a point to this unless you want to actually melt a coil. Let's step back and look at some generalizations.

At some ridiculous RPM like 10,000, there's 12ms between combustion events, correct? (120 / 10000 = 0.012)

Assume some default dwell of 4ms, and a 2ms spark duration. That puts the individual coil at roughly 50% duty cycle - charge 4ms, discharge for 2ms, rest for 6ms (at 10k rpm). Why push it further? I just don't feel it's worth agonizing over. I'm still planning to add an optional RPM vs dwell multiplier table (i.e. 128 = 1.0), but it will eat 5-6 clock cycles to do the math of multiplying the 16 bit dwell time integer with an 8 bit multiplier. And then it needs to be converted to degrees for RPM.

How about record the off position and save the data in ram, I suspect the avr can be brought to bed with some timer. Not immediately on ign off. And some data can be saved there. It can be used on immediate hot restart.
    I considered building it this way initially, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to potentially eliminate 90 degrees of engine rotation. Worst case scenario where the engine stops in the #2 low res trigger slot, a maximum of 138 (90+46(+/-2) degrees rotation is required for sequence to be picked up.

I have runned 10ms on startup with no issues.
    At what voltage? I'm not planning on having separate dwell tables for cranking or making it any more complicated than it needs to be. One 3d with dwell vs temp vs voltage.

I'm hoping to make some headway this weekend. Mainly because I'm itching to get the car out and enjoy doing what it was made to do - be driven. I do love solving problems like this, but I'm coming up on my 49th birthday, and need to get firmware version 1.0.0 released before I run out of days.

Fuel Injected!
    0 400 rpm
    21.17 21.17
    9.95 7.82
    9.95 7.14
    9.95 6.80
    9.95 5.95
    9.95 5.61
    9.95 5.44
    9.95 5.10
    9.95 4.85
    9.95 4.50
    9.95 4.34
    9.95 4.08
    9.95 4.00
    9.95 3.74
    9.95 3.57
    9.95 3.49
    9.95 2.98
    Here is the startup dwell from 0-400 rpm. It gets interpolated as the rpm raise. I set it 10ms for all voltage range. I have a plan to set it at a fixed value of 10ms until the engine on flag is set at 500rpm. In this setup it is impossible due to interpolation. Small code change will be needed. I feel now that startups are not optimal. I will report how it feels with the fixed dwell target at cranking.

I vote for the simplest most efficient code. It always works better. No fancy loops required, just some thresholds and your done.

So you are telling me that running the coils at higher 6000+rpms for 3.8ms on and 6.2ms off time[my current setup at 6000rpm] will fry the coil. Good that the test vehicle sees 6000+rpm very rare.

What test vehicle / engine / ecu are you referring to here?

The thing you need to keep in mind is that during cranking you absolutely have to compensate for voltage. Don't check my math on this one because I'm just spitballing, but a fixed 10ms of dwell at 9 volts is going to charge the coil with roughly half as much energy as 10ms at 12 volts (not considering integral dwell limiting). Power isn't a linear equation, in this instance it's the product of voltage and current over time (I*E)/T=W.

I'm working hard at stripping out irrelevant code, as well as optimizing the math for this build because it will need to convert dwell from time to degrees based on current angular velocity (RPM) on the fly. There's no way I can do this with a lookup table. I've built a profiling sketch that enables me to find how many clock cycles a given equation uses with different input data, which I've been using heavily. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) has been my mantra for most of the past 20 years. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), my knowledge and experience with c++ has tripled in depth over the course of this project.

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o
    So you are telling me that running the coils at higher 6000+rpms for 3.8ms on and 6.2ms off time[my current setup at 6000rpm] will fry the coil. Good that the test vehicle sees 6000+rpm very rare.
    No. Check your math - or check my math. In a 4 cycle engine combustion events happen at 120(combustion events per division) / 6000(rpm) = 20ms.

Unless you're referring to another waste spark setup, which as I've stated repeatedly is a completely different animal.

Fuel Injected!
    The math is correct, but being waste spark, coil is fired each 360* or 10ms for 6000rpm. An oddball gm tbi pcm is used with hc11 processor.
    I just tried the 10ms fixed dwell for starting and couldn`t tell any difference. A subzero start at -5*C. A new plugs can be better for such tests, since the ones I have now are shot.

I am starting to think that at lower voltages the coil would never go to full charge. My theory is that the energy will start to radiate or heat will built inside.
    AN example will be bottle with a small hole. When you fill the bottle with high current of water, it will overfill easily. If you reduce the water current, the hole in the bottle will start to leak and there will be more time needed to fill the bottle. If the current is low enough and can`t overcome the hole leak, you can never get it full.

So at low voltage the coil can`t charge full enough to kick in the dwell limiter. Adding extra dwell will only produce more em radiation and heat but not more energy output.

Lt1 pcm also converts dwell to degrees but only on startup situation. There is also some sophisticated system timer. Based on the timer each routine is executed on the timer basis with fixed intervals. Adding that kind of stuff may give you better control of code flow. Coolant lookup is really slowly updated and the code for it can be runned each 1-2 seconds. So everything non critical can be made to run each xx ms.

The math is correct, but being waste spark, coil is fired each 360* or 10ms for 6000rpm.
    I'm not a professional mechanic, and I've personally seen a half dozen of those waste spark coil packs melt around the towers on pre-2002 3.8L v6s - most with less than 200k miles on them. They were perfectly adequate on low-revving stuff, but I don't think GM used them on many "performance" setups with redlines > 5000rpm.

The waste spark coils they're using on the current 3.9L v6s seem to be much more robust.

Lt1 pcm also converts dwell to degrees but only on startup situation. There is also some sophisticated system timer. Based on the timer each routine is executed on the timer basis with fixed intervals. Adding that kind of stuff may give you better control of code flow.
    Maybe a project for next winter. Time based control would be nice, but there's only one 16 bit timer available on the AVR so if it's possible to handle sequencing overlapping dwells with just that, I haven't wrapped my head around how to approach it.

Coolant detection based on the 12057 cranking spark advance table looks like it will work.

First column is engine runtime in seconds, C is internal ecu engineering units - convert to celcius with (X*0.75)-40, V is obvious and M is raw adc count of the MAP input.

Code:
    diy-ltcc-0.9.20
    startDegrees=8 startLRCount=1 startSeqDeg=0 invertSeq=0 firstCyl=1
    tbl0Val=93 ectMaxTmp=112 ectMinTmp=80
    ectTable=0 tdcEvents=0 ectValue=93 initSaDegrees=9 firstFire=1 adcEctRaw=93
    1 : F 9074 : C 91 : V 11.03 : M 897
    2 : F 8242 : C 91 : V 11.25 : M 565
    3 : F 8194 : C 92 : V 12.91 : M 518
    4 : F 8200 : C 91 : V 14.14 : M 537
    5 : F 8185 : C 91 : V 14.25 : M 479
    6 : F 8184 : C 91 : V 14.04 : M 453
    Transition to table1 worked as expected.

Code:
    173 : F 8183 : C 118 : V 14.04 : M 348
    174 : F 8191 : C 118 : V 14.00 : M 348
    175 : F 8186 : C 118 : V 14.04 : M 342
    176 : F 8192 : C 118 : V 14.07 : M 333
    177 : F 8188 : C 120 : V 13.45 : M 336 < I forgot to have it spit a message out, but transition would have happened here
    178 : F 8188 : C 121 : V 13.03 : M 334
    179 : F 8184 : C 119 : V 14.04 : M 345
    180 : F 8187 : C 119 : V 14.12 : M 335
    181 : F 8193 : C 119 : V 14.00 : M 346
    182 : F 8187 : C 119 : V 14.12 : M 344
    183 : F 8189 : C 119 : V 14.07 : M 338
    184 : F 8189 : C 120 : V 14.04 : M 335
    185 : F 8184 : C 123 : V 12.82 : M 356
    186 : F 8193 : C 120 : V 14.00 : M 334
    187 : F 8189 : C 120 : V 14.04 : M 349
    188 : F 8188 : C 120 : V 14.00 : M 330
    189 : F 8189 : C 120 : V 14.02 : M 338
    190 : F 8188 : C 121 : V 14.11 : M 344
    191 : F 8189 : C 121 : V 14.00 : M 345
    192 : F 8189 : C 121 : V 14.04 : M 330
    193 : F 8188 : C 121 : V 13.99 : M 350
    194 : F 8189 : C 122 : V 14.04 : M 333
    195 : F 8193 : C 122 : V 13.97 : M 318
    196 : F 8186 : C 122 : V 14.00 : M 340
    197 : F 8181 : C 122 : V 13.97 : M 338
    I'll have to test a bunch of different scenarios but the code is pretty simple.

Code:
    uint8_t discEctTbl(uint8_t rawEct) {

// read the lookup value from table0 based on current raw ect value
      uint8_t tbl0Val = pgm_read_byte(&ectTable[0][rawEct]);
      uint8_t ectMinTmp = 128;
      uint8_t ectMaxTmp = 128;

// iterate the cranking spark table from both directions
      for (uint8_t i = 16; i < 255; i--) {
        if (pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[i][1]) > initSaDegrees) {
          if ( i < 16 ) {
            //ectMinTmp = pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[i + 1][0]);
            ectMinTmp = pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[i][0]);
          } else {
            ectMinTmp = pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[16][0]);
          }
          break;
        }
      }

for (uint8_t i = 0; i < 17; i++) {
        if (pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[i][1]) < initSaDegrees) {
          if ( i > 0 ) {
            //ectMaxTmp = pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[i - 1][0]);
            ectMaxTmp = pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[i][0]);
          } else {
            ectMaxTmp = pgm_read_byte(&crankSpkTable[0][0]);
          }
          break;
        }
      }

if (ectMinTmp == ectMaxTmp) {
        if (ectMinTmp == 0 || ectMinTmp == 255) {
          if (ectMinTmp == 0) {
            ectMaxTmp = 16;
          } else {
            ectMinTmp = 240;
          }
        } else {
          // this should never happen, but if it does increase the spread
          ectMinTmp -= 8;
          ectMaxTmp += 8;
        }
      }

#ifdef TEMP_DEBUG
      Serial.print(F("tbl0Val="));
      Serial.print(tbl0Val);
      Serial.print(F(" ectMaxTmp="));
      Serial.print(ectMaxTmp);
      Serial.print(F(" ectMinTmp="));
      Serial.println(ectMinTmp);
    #endif

// at this point there should be a range in ectMinTmp and ectMaxTmp that the current actual temp should reside in
      if (tbl0Val > ectMinTmp && tbl0Val < ectMaxTmp) {
        return 0;
      } else {
        return 1;
      }

}