Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY LTCC or similar system for LT1s

Fuel Injected!
    The delteq was the work around because of the driver issue. The system was developed over a decade ago. The beauty of the system was no programming changes were necessary. The average guy could install it in about an hour.
    The tuning community has grown quite a bit since this stuff was the hot ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Vilefly if you are close to a solution I am interested. I will post photos of the Delteq parts. The mounting brackets and convertor are the Delteq parts. The rest are standard GM coils and module. One thing I did like with the Delteq is that the engine would take 50 degrees of timing.
    Still working on a solution between toddler attacks. Basically, all I have is on paper. I have the LoRes and HiRes signals tied together through an AND gate, going to a Flip-Flop coupled to a Exclusive OR gat to double the pulses I get (a workaround for only single edge triggering ICs), going to a 7-stage binary ripple counter (CD74HC4024E), and those outputs going to 4-input AND gates (5 of them) which decode the Lo-Res "large slots" correctly, and the 5th one for the 2 degree slots.
    LT1_distributor_optical_disk.jpg
    I just have to work on the switchover to a nice, mindless decade counter linked to a demultiplexer/data distributor chip which will be sending the ignition trigger pulse to the correct ignition transistor. It will only look for the leading edge of the Lo-Res signal, nothing more. The decoding gates will reset it at the 1st time, then it will recycle on its own. Switching to the simple setup will be plenty fast for anyone.....nanoseconds baby, nanoseconds. Only limit will be the ignition trigger/dwell signal from the stock ECM. Easily modified by anyone from there.
    Last edited by vilefly; 09-13-2017 at 03:22 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I have the Delteq convertors if you want to dissect one. PM me with your address if you want to look at it. I will say the only major flaw was the sealing and lack of a superior heat sink. The unit bolted directly to the cylinder head.

Fuel Injected!
    Tom once I get the Delteq I will pull it apart and see if I can make a schematic so we can compare to Vilefly's work. I wonder if a better cooled and sealed Delteq unit would be the ticket. I would also like to get it to work with LS style coils since those are available everywhere and I can test with coils off my truck

Fuel Injected!
    So my Opti officially died on me today, I did more research and there are some guys that have attempted to take normal hall effect signals like 58X and convert to the signals to the square wave that is seen by the PCM.

Apparently this chip can help: http://www.ti.com/product/LM1815

See this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...r-preview.html

Fuel Injected!
    More rambling, but could you basically make a trigger wheel with 360 slots and one with 8 slots for the LS sensors to pick up? would whatever crank sensor is used in the LS engines work? Im gonna sketch something up today

Fuel Injected!
    You can get a sensor from AIP Electronics. P/N is OS95LT and they cost about $55.

If you're going to put trigger wheels on the engine then might as well add the coil wiring harness and do the 0411 PCM conversion.

Note that the crank turns 2X for every cam rotation. So, you could move the high resolution 1* signal to the crank but would need to use 720 teeth instead of 360 teeth. You can't put the low resolution signal on the crank, it has to be on the cam.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 11-14-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    You can get a sensor from AIP Electronics. P/N is OS95LT and they cost about $55.

If you're going to put trigger wheels on the engine then might as well add the coil wiring harness and do the 0411 PCM conversion.

Note that the crank turns 2X for every cam rotation. So, you could move the high resolution 1* signal to the crank but would need to use 180 teeth instead of 360 teeth. You can't put the low resolution signal on the crank, it has to be on the cam.
    It would be easy to do the 0411 PCM conversion, but I guess I am being cheap and trying to keep the LT1 PCM

Fuel Injected!
    The 411 swap on an LT1takes a lot of tuning. You also have to put a 1996 and newer valve body in your 4L60E. I am finishing up tuning a 411 swap on my LT4 Hotcam engine that is heavily modified. I will assist anyone who plans on doing one.
    The delteq system and a good opti work great without spending the cash on the 411 swap. I was wrong when I said that delteq was out of business. I was just looking at their website. The kits are still kinda pricey, but still cheaper than a 411 swap. We will have to see what Aroberson77 & Vilefly come up with.
    Last edited by Tom B.; 09-14-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    The 411 swap on an LT1takes a lot of tuning. You also have to put a 1996 and newer valve body in your 4L60E. I am finishing up tuning a 411 swap on my LT4 Hotcam engine that is heavily modified. I will assist anyone who plans on doing one.
    The delteq system and a good opti work great without spending the cash on the 411 swap. I was wrong when I said that delteq was out of business. I was just looking at their website. The kits are still kinda pricey, but still cheaper than a 411 swap. We will have to see what Aroberson77 & Vilefly come up with.
    My 0411/24x/CNP/DBW swap did not take too much tuning honestly speaking. Swapped in a 2002 8.1 engine operating system, copy pasted most of my 350's old table values into the tune. Flashed the entire PCM not just the calibration. After it was all wired up & connected, hit the key. It fired up, idled, had good throttle response, took it for a drive and did a little fine tweaking. I had swapped the heads and cam at the same time. If the 350 Vortec had been stock, it likely would have run well with ZERO additional tuning. I am actually in the process of removing the L31 marine intake and swapping in a ported Edelbrock Vortec TPI base and siamesed SLP runners and plenum onto it. I have one of the LT1/TPI EFIConnection DBW throttle bodies I picked up second hand that I will end up using if it fits and clears the accessory drive I ran previously from a 1995 G20 van on my 1983 G20 that had a 383 TPI in it. I will probably have the only OBD2 TPI Express van in existence.

Fuel Injected!
    You are one of the few that had a relatively easy time. There are a lot of pro tuners that have had nothing but headaches. While the conversion isn't overly difficult, getting the tune right can be extremely time consuming. There have been some consistent problems, especially with the LT1/4's. The novice tuner will need some good assistance from those of us that have their stuff dialed in.

Fuel Injected!
    Andy,
    The delteq should be at your house on Saturday.

Fuel Injected!
    Andy,
    The delteq should be at your house on Saturday.
    Awesome, thanks Tom, I'll let you know what I find out

Fuel Injected!
    No sweat. You can download the manual on Delteq's site. http://www.delteq.com/support_manuals.htm

Fuel Injected!
    You are one of the few that had a relatively easy time. There are a lot of pro tuners that have had nothing but headaches. While the conversion isn't overly difficult, getting the tune right can be extremely time consuming. There have been some consistent problems, especially with the LT1/4's. The novice tuner will need some good assistance from those of us that have their stuff dialed in.
    Biggest issue I have seen and this was fixing what a "PRO" screwed up was getting the injectors & coils in the right order at the PCM and then correcting the injector bank assignment and firing order in the tune. If you go by a Gen3 wiring diagram on the coils and injectors it will be wrong 100% of the time on a traditional small block. It all has to match or it will run terribly. It also had the left and right o2 sensors swapped and when the PCM tried to go into closed loop, one LT fuel trim went to 125% and the other 75%. Then getting good injector data is a MUST! Finally the trickiest part I have found tuning anything with the Blackbox and the 0411 has to be the way the PCM handles fuel enrichment for AE and the idle air stuff. I have found leaving the tune a little on the rich side helps the driveability tremendously with the bigger cammed setups.

Then again I have tuned far bigger challenges. A 232/240 @ .050 cam cut on a 110° LSA in a heavily modified TPI 383 running the 7730 speed density ECM. That one was fun just to get it leaned out enough so it would idle and you could drive it and tune it.

The LT1 I tuned was a 396 with 42 lb/hr junk bosch injectors and a GM 847 cam. Luckily I had injector data from my buddies 6.0L truck that has the same JUNK bosch injectors in it. The 0411 does not like Bosch injectors much and both still occasionally get codes for open injectors. Moral of the story there don't buy cheap Ebay garbage injectors if you want the thing to run well.

I like the Gen3 PCMs because you can do alot of cool stuff like add an Ethanol Flex Fuel sensor and run anything from straight gasoline to E85 and have the PCM adjust both the spark map and fuel delivery to secondary values you can set. I gained a good bit of power running E85 with no engine changes. The next engine in my Express van will be a 383 in the 11.5:1 range with aluminum heads and run E85 for power. Goal is 500 ft/lbs @ 3,500 from a small block. 383+ moded TPI is how you get there. Should still be able to get 400 hp out of it as well.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-15-2017 at 04:30 AM.