Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY LTCC or similar system for LT1s

Quote Originally Posted by vilefly View Post
    I figure somewhere in the memory, the math for crank velocity can be accessed from a vortech 0411, and spliced into a ls1 binary, and possibly work. ... I expect a loss of resolution, but wonder if it can be managed.
    It's not necessarily "like that". The PCM in a 4x CKP setup can run the engine all day long quite happily firing the injectors in batch mode because the distributor knows sequence due to it's inherent mechanical design. And even if injection sequence was off by 90 or 180 degrees the engine would still likely run albeit less than ideally. The same cannot be said for a coil per cylinder setup and ignition timing - without the PCM knowing sequence implicitly it's all or nothing.

Oh, well....I had figured it would have worked in sequential mode, but since the tolerance was never expected of the unit, I agree it is a bust. Rats....foiled again!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
    I thought about addressing the idea of synthesizing a 24x+1x signal in my previous post, but decided against it. My concerns are with the "lossy" nature of the high res opti signal - I've logged a lot of instances where 1 or 2 degrees are lost or gained per TDC signal. I fear synthesizing a 24x signal from this info could falsely trigger misfire detection in the LS PCM. But I'd be willing to try if the right person came forward with a test mule.

Sure that `s a big problem with the high res signal. Even the pcm have built in tolerance of +-2 degrees before it triggers a DTC.
    I have monitor the input at the CYL ID and it is rarely dead spot on. It get worse on rapid acceleration and deceleleration events.
    I doubt time based modulation is even possible with the that kind of complex signal. You have to change the pulse width based on rpm. So maybe use the low res as a trigger to dump the pattern.
    It will be so much better just to cut a new opti wheel with the correct pattern.

Stretched chain can get the timing off the chart too. How much timing fault will give a stretched chain on an stock lt1, will it be advance or retard. Does the pcm compensate for this. On deceleration will it stretch the opposite side.

Testing a signal generator will be simple bench task with a ls1 pcm on hand. If it sees signal it should output rpm on the data bus.

Like you said a working version for lt1 pcm is much better than 2 half working projects, so we can just discuss the details and get an ideas how it can be done rather than doing it.

I know that ls1 pcms have aldl line for communication with other modules. How much work will be needed to get that ported is another project. If somebody crack the hell out of these controllers it might be even possible to log them on the ALDL bus. Much better than the super slow pid by pid requests.

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    So maybe use the low res as a trigger to dump the pattern.
    That was exactly what I had in mind.

It will be so much better just to cut a new opti wheel with the correct pattern.
    Maybe. Maybe not. There's a reason the OEMs moved the reluctor wheels to the crank when OBD2 was mandated. I suspect that reason was timing chain slop / harmonics.

Testing a signal generator will be simple bench task with a ls1 pcm on hand. If it sees signal it should output rpm on the data bus.
    I don't anticipate porting this to a opti > 24x converter will be a big undertaking since most of the work is already there. But I'm not going to buy a 0411 PCM for a test bench piece. If I have time I'll try to work something up - but right now I'm fairly overwhelmed with home repair projects, a daily driver needing a new cat and flex pipe, and the prospect of building my engine. I don't anticipate having an abundance of free time until April.

Well, with the 1x cam output, one could mount or buy a 24x crank reluctor while using a 0411 pcm. As years go by, and 2007-up pcms get hacked, one will probably want to switch to the 58x (60-2) reluctor, but there will always be need for the 1x signal.
    Someone posted this in another forum. The accuracy will have to be checked with the waveform pattern.
    Attachment 13850
    I am fighting to find some time to acquire a (58x) vs (#1 tdc) vs (injector #1) vs (cam) scope pattern from a 2007 sierra 5.3L "3" engine. There are none online. I intend to fix that. The pcm connectors are a pain to backprobe. Very dense wiring connectors. If more time allows, I will try to scope the injectors during starting to check for double-fire or sequential mode operation, if I can.
    It is now posted under " 2007 6.0L LY6 crank and cam signal waveforms "

Last edited by vilefly; 03-08-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Once again back to the original thread topic, sort of...

It's alive!!! Wideband installed and working. No tune / ignition controller changes from where I last ran it 4 months ago, and it started on the first crank like it never missed a beat.

Planning to test drive tomorrow with latest 0.9.15 development code and hopefully have some positive news relevant to fixing the stumble that was happening at the transition ranges where dwell + spark advance landed near 90 degree multiples. Hope the weather cooperates - it snowed earlier today.

How did the test drive go for you? Still stumbling?

Of course it is...

Problem isn't completely solved but it's definitely different. I would use the term "better" but I didn't want to push the engine. I think I'm going to have to put a standard volume oil pump in because with a 58 psi relief spring I have 50 at idle and 70+ around 2000 rpm and I don't want to rupture the oil filter. Bearing clearances were around 0.003 and I have a few other oil system mods so I thought it would be ok. I wanted to use melling's "in between" pump that's only 10% more volume, but found out through trial and error it requires a deeper oil pan.

I'm working on assembling my spare opti to use on the bench so I can run it steadily at the first transition point instead of trying to debug while driving. But as is usually the case life keeps getting in the way. Daily driver problems, and a garage door opener that's too smart for it's own good and is about to become the victim of some buckshot rounds I've been itching to test fire.

Hoping to have time to get test bench rig working today.

Yes... we’ve all got shit going on like that.
    I had to drive my car out on call as the wife had borrowed the works van.
    About 35 mile run each way.
    Car ran great. Finished about midnight, drove home.
    Hadn’t plugged in the laptop supply and it had shut down by the time i got home.

Went out last night. 10 miles from home the clutch took a dump.
    Motor wasn’t happy trying to bump start it on the tow rope.
    So that’s this weekends fun.

Mitch
    '95 Z28 M6 -Just the odd mod.
    '80 350 A3 C3 Corvette - recent addition.

Introducing 0W-0 motor oil! It's less fattening and better tasting! Guaranteed to shorten the life of any motor!
    Just kidding. I have seen my fair share of crazy mods to get around dropping the oil pan at the racetrack. One guy added a bleed off valve at the sending unit port and it went to the dipstick for a drain. He drove a chevy. Another guy cut a hole in his oil pan and put a pipe plug in it, so he could get to a bolt he had threaded into the back of the oil pump pressure relief, so he could adjust the pressure as needed. He drove a ford.
    From these guys, I learned that a stock pump on a new engine works just fine. Minimum pressure at the racetrack was 1 psi per 100rpm.
    I miss those days at KCIR raceway. The rich people moving into the area made complaints about the noise, and got it shut down. Johnson County scum that they are. It is my plan to sell them cute windmill houses......without the braking system........."and all the bad people floated away".

Lol - the racetrack mods remind me of what the guy at the parts store told me when I described the oil pan interference with the +10% pump. "So use a hammer". I looked at him with contempt and explained that crude stuff like that is exactly why I don't allow "professional mechanics" to touch any of my vehicles.

I'm not sure if the label I'm looking for to describe your rich people is "yuppies" or "millenials". Both words are uttered with an air of disgust among my co-workers and friends.

I made absolutely zero progress yesterday after figuring out my daily driver problem. Seems after 467k miles the intake on my TDI finally needs several pounds of sooty, oily crud removed from it. Gonna be a real "fun" job.

And I almost forgot the garage door opener is still tempting me to take a shotgun to it. I don't know what made me think a fancy opener without regular mechanical limit switches would be a good idea.

Here's the fun easy way to clean a TDI intake manifold. You will need an air compressor and a propane torch. https://youtu.be/xIijYgvxW0g

As to the torque/current sensing garage door opener, they are real touchy. I hate them, too. Can rarely get the sensitivity adjusted right, especially if the torque effort varies throughout the door's main travel path. They expect a perfect world, and equal torque throughout.

Test bench setup is working. Still haven't pinpointed the cause of the stumble but I have a theory. Over the weekend I did find a ridiculously juvenile error in my lag monitoring code and fixed that. Will report back when I get caught up with all the handyman tasks.

Here's the fun easy way to clean a TDI intake manifold...
    The "cleansing by fire" is the easy part. Getting the manifold off and cleaning the crap out of the intake ports in the head is going to be markedly less entertaining. VW in their infinite wisdom, has an affinity for using allen head bolts which tend to need to be drilled out after they strip.

As to the torque/current sensing garage door opener, they are real touchy.
    I found the problem to be the optical motor speed sensor, which was an integral part of the DC drive control logic in the original version of the firmware. After buying a newer board with the more fault tolerant firmware I'm finding the optical sensor has been the problem all along. I'm actually contemplating retrofitting one of my spare opti sensors in the thing. :-)

I cannot remember if the VW tdi has a throttle body or not. I have been known to run a GDI engine without the intake manifold to heat and hammer the carbon off the valves after I hit it with a naptha-containing solvent for an hour or so before. Might work with the TDI if the throttle body (if equipped) is hooked up electrically to prevent any codes. Beware of red-hot embers flying out of the ports. Should at least clean the valve seats this way.

Diesels with throttle bodies? Sounds like you've been inhaling too much of that naptha. They're referred to as anti-shudder valves. Anyway, the ports in the head didn't look too bad and would be next to impossible to get to anyway so I left well enough alone. It went a lot smoother than expected - the most difficulty I had was fishing out a socket I dropped inside a frame stiffener. I don't know why anyone would set fire to that stuff, it came out real easy and then four or five cans of carb cleaner got it shining like a new dime. It's running almost as good as it did when it was new to me. A previous owner broke it in for the first 200k miles.

I managed to make some progress on the firmware last night. I have nothing figured out yet but did manage to implement a way to stream debugging data at 1k frames per second so the problem should be easy to visualize once I can reproduce it. In the process I freed up one of the timers and consolidated some code.