Well fast355,
You've been having some fun lately. I am jealous.
My rough pricing was for starting out with a '95 LT-1, which requires a later model timing cover, which I do not have. The kit that has it costs $865.00 without the computer. The computer costs $395.00 w/o programming, which they will not do for you. EFI live flashscan and tune costs $899.00. Without the wiring harness, that's about $2159.00. +$675 for the wiring harness. Grand total = $2834.00 without bargain hunting on ebay. So.....I was way off. It would be much cheaper if I started out with a distributor-equipped 5.7L vortec.
Anyways, this journey is mostly about learning and honing my electronics skills, which are dreadfully out of practice. 25yrs in the automotive tech field barely kept my electronics skills alive, and I have forgotten a few basics in the logic circuit area.
The LS motors bug me. I am seeing cam bearings walking out of place, and blocking oil from the lifters, sludge plugging the pickups, oil pump pickup o-rings failing, and Displacement-On-Demand roller lifters fail often. Oh, and I hate having to remove the cylinder heads to gain access to the lifters. They run great, but don't have much staying power without synthetic oil. (350,000 if synthetic is used)
Oh crap. I'm ranting. Somebody stop me.