Thread: Change from '165 to '730 or 16197427?

Fuel Injected!

Change from '165 to '730 or 16197427?

As if I don't have enough irons in the fire...

Getting irritated with the constant ALDL disconnect when datalogging with the '165.

Hate to get rid of MAF because I have a fair number of spares. But I hold no loyalty to MAF in general.

Running TPI with a MAP plenum, so shouldn't be real difficult for me to add it in.

K5, Manual trans. Setup is a mild 350 (very mild roller cam, Vortec heads @ approx. 9.2:1, headers, 24lb/hr SVO injectors).

I *think* the '730 is the easier swap for me. Adapting the wiring from the '165 appears to be very easy to accomplish, outside of that and getting an ECM, the '730 would be done.

I saw that the '427 has two timing/fueling tables, but for a mild engine, is that important enough to be worth whatever hassle exists over going with '730?

Unless I was planning on running an E-trans, I would just opt for the '7730. IIRC $8D also has idle and open throttle VE tables. I prefer to do everything in one table, when I can anyway.

The '7427 ECM is nice, but would complicate things in this matter IMO.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    yeah, unless the E-trans is a requirement, go with the ECM that you can basically drop in a factory tune for.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Guess I'll stick with the '730 then, and just keep my eyes open for a deal on that stuff.

Thanks!