I've got a 91' olds custom cruiser that I transplanted some kind of 5.7 into back in highschool. I was told it was a truck motor but I found it had a roller cam in it. According to what I found, truck motors had flat cams. I wanted to get some more HP and more low end torque. I'm trying to find a good replacement engine for this combo. I found The GM 12530283 which seems to be the vortec block. Seems pretty good but will that cam be good got a b-body wagon? I was looking into the possibility of swapping the cam for one with a different power band, maybe in the 1500 hp range. I've been through all kinds of sites and everyone's answer is "LS swap" it, or "it's not worth it". So I'm here to ask this knowledge base for help.

Im not going to be drag racing this car, I just want something that's a good street car with the ability to torch the tires. I still have the stock 700r4 with the factory stall. I've got the stock exhaust with no cat and just a muffler. I was thinking about changing to some decent long tubes if the performance is there. The rear end is stock 3.08, I may change it to 3.73 if I have the time.

jerry