Thread: Help! Transferring ESC tables from $6E 7165 V8 to $83A 4cyl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Help! Transferring ESC tables from $6E 7165 V8 to $83A 4cyl

There is no knock circuity on the 4cyl memcal, the V8 diagrams show input on B7. The $6E has all the knock related parameters, but I have no clue how to transfer all of this data into the $83A bin. I can't imagine just copy and pasting would work. Would it be easier to use the $6E and adjust for the 2.5l?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ridezilightning View Post
    There is no knock circuity on the 4cyl memcal, the V8 diagrams show input on B7. The $6E has all the knock related parameters, but I have no clue how to transfer all of this data into the $83A bin. I can't imagine just copy and pasting would work. Would it be easier to use the $6E and adjust for the 2.5l?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
    If the goal is to use V8 parameters in the 4 cyl calibration then you are forced to locate similar tables, constants, and switches in both calibrations and copy/paste values to make them work.

If you'd like to describe your project someone here might be able to help with a more preferable solution.

Carb and Points!
    It's a 91 S10 with an iron duke + turbocharger that I'm trying to add a knock sensor to. The 7165 used in V8 cars has one using an external knock module fed into the B7 pin, and of course has all the parameters in the bin. The 7165 in the duke trucks does not. I either want to mod the duke $83A bin to use the knock module parameters, or use the $6E and move all the duke stuff over. I'm familiar with modding the tables for a ve tune and not blowing stuff up, but as far as adding parameters that were never there to begin with, I have no clue

Administrator
    Ahh... I understand now.

The four cylinder 7165 would require custom code to use a knock sensor. My first thought is to suggest a 7749 with $58 from a Turbo Sunbird. That would require changes to the wiring harness. Thinking about uptions using a similar ecm to what you have now I realize the Fiero 2.8 ecm actually had programming to work with a turbo.

Carb and Points!
    The Fiero ECMs are all 160 baud, I'd rather not go that route. The truck already runs well and I've been using an external knock mic and wideband for tuning. I'd just like something simpler and integrated for knock detection and retard.

Administrator
    In order to get high baud from 7165 you have to run in diagnostic mode which, with the V8, changes several conditions about how the code operates.

The V8 calibrations are generally more capable than the four cylinder code you are using. Australian / Holden $12P seems very capable as well and there is an NVRAM version which allows calibration changes without an emulator.