Thread: Help!! Need understanding of how to tune EFI system

Carb and Points!

Help!! Need understanding of how to tune EFI system

Hello, not sure if this is the right place, but I didn't see OBDI tuning on the site just OBDII.

My situation is as follows:
    I am a fabricator, never got into any of the electronics of a car rest or build. I am in the middle of doing a restored to my 59 corvette. The engine was given to me by a friend, and along with it was the intake system of a Holley Stealth Ram setup. Unfortunately he couldn't give me the computer or harness. I happen to have two 1227730 ECM's with chips and can acquire a TPI harness for not too much money. I see Moates and HP Tuner have the hardware and software i would need to reprogram the prom. But my immediate problem is not really knowing what to do with it and how difficult it is to reprogram the chip. I also do not know what is on the chips right now, except that they both came out of an F body Camaro from 90-92.

Can any one give me direction and give the truth on how difficult it is to reprogram the chip so that it will run the car correctly. And fyi, the car is going to be used as a driver with a few times at the strip.

If any one is also willing to talk to me on the phone, let me know and we can exchange numbers.

Thanks for all the help.

[QUOTE=Vetteflags;66131]Hello, not sure if this is the right place, but I didn't see OBDI tuning on the site just OBDII.

Check the sub-forum on Fuel injection writeups Articles and How to New and Old
    and welcome in, the waters fine.
    Bob
    Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

Fuel Injected!
    This is the right place for anything GM OBD1.

In regards to software, I'd recommend downloading TunerProRt and getting familiar with that. That would be the program where you can actually data log what your ECM/engine is doing and then figure out what needs to be tweaked.

When you get ready to burn chips, then you'd need a programmer, which can be had from Amazon/ebay for cheap. Search "eprom programmer".