Thread: Newbie question regarding Red/Blue PCMs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Anthony, you are one generous and great guy! I appreciate the offer to loan me your modified 4288. So, did you soldered in a 28-pin socket? I have seen a thread in which Dave W describes that procedure and I am going to do the same. It just doesn't make sense to keep messing around with the 24-pin PROMs which are getting "harder than hen's teeth to find". I will wait for the chip you burn before doing "open-heart" surgery on my 7747. Thanks again.

Fuel Injected!
    yes its not to bad if you know how to soider ,the article you read was it by eagle mark? I soidered the socket to the borad so I could close the lid. I have had 2 ecms go bad that was soidered that way, I got the adapter out of the first one the next time I tore it up removing it so next time I am going to use the zif socket first then if the ecm goes bad I can just pull the adapter.
    Last edited by ony; 09-21-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, that is the article by Eagle Mark...too bad he passed away. So much information gone.

Ah, ok on soldering and re-soldering...so, are you recommending I solder a ZIF into the board rather than a modified 28-pin adapter? I saw an article on the MOATES site where they soldered their G2 0.6" adapter for using 28-pin 27SF512 EPROMs. I think they also had a ZIF socket sandwiched between the board, 28-pin adapter socket, then the ZIF on top. It looked very tall and definitely could not seal the ECM.

Did you determine what cause your ECM's to fail? The one concern I have is applying too much heat and frying some other components.

Fuel Injected!
    I think it was just age and where.bothwhere747s shode tps not working. this 288 was a remananfractured it shows map reading lower than than true,but it works for checking things out.
    Last edited by ony; 09-22-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    one thing that eagle mark pointed out was a [[ good soilder sucker]]].

Fuel Injected!
    I found two types of solder suckers at the electronics supply store: vacuum type and a wick. I'll give both a try after getting my 7747 running with a proper chip and doing a data log.

Fuel Injected!
    handyman sorry for the delay had somethings come up. I lost your address, send it to antgene@outlook.com got you a chip programmed I don't know if they call it a zif or zip, but the adapter socket fits in it then if you use your auto prom you should use a 28 pin one on your autoprom connecting cord the little pins on the cord are easyer to bend and brake than the socket the recommend using with it. I have both one has a lever to lock the chip, the other one plugs in the the white computer cord with the red stripe.
    Last edited by ony; 09-29-2017 at 01:11 AM.