Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Newbie question regarding Red/Blue PCMs

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 57 Handyman View Post
    Hey Anthony,

When I first started the motor, it was a fresh rebuild with all the internal engine mods. It ran just fine with the 4288 ECM. Then, something happened when I attached the ECM-to-PCM adapter I made as a means to hook up the 8625. I went the adapter route because I wanted to have an easy escape route to go back to the 4288 in the event I screwed up tuning the 8625. However, since the motor wouldn't start with the 8625, I decided to go back to using the 4288. Unfortunately, that is when all the problems with rough idle, struggling to stay running, and shutdowns/dying surfaced. These problems even persisted when I inserted the PROMs you sent.

Interestingly enough, for some reason, I don't get any check engine lights unless I disconnect a sensor.

lastly, I have not done any data logging because: (1) I am still learning how to get my computer to sync with the AutoProm, (2) then connect via the ALDL. Besides that, the motor won't stay running long enough to attempt any data logging.

If it isn't one thing, it is another...
    This seems to be an important piece of the puzzle. Ran fine with '288 initially then like you said the problems came after the '8625. In one of your post, I noticed you said the E-fan kicked on 200dF. The data log you posted, yeah rich and engine temp never got over 140dF. Anyway, I have a few '747s that you can try out. The only V6 one I have is missing the PROM chip so I need to make one. I'll prolly burn the one you posted in one your threads. I can also bring my antiquated laptop and see if there's anything that seems amiss. Just let me know when the next time you're gonna go play!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    ... Just let me know when the next time you're gonna go play!
    Hey Stew,

I accept your offer. I should be at the hobby shop Friday afternoon...drop me a text.

Blaine

Fuel Injected!
    It was a great pleasure to put a face to a screen name!!! Don't want to steal your thunder...anyhoo drove home with 2732A in hand, (btw thanx) stuck it in my burner, did a blank check, loaded AKDX.bin, burned and verified. Next test is to stick it in my home brewed UV eraser and try it again.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 11-27-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    how did you homebrew the eraser? I've been looking for a uv source.

Fuel Injected!
    Please, please, please read about the inherent dangers when dealing with UV light!!! Purchased 4W UV-C G4T5 bulb and this florescent utility light. Stuffed it in a gutted L69 ECM case and found a suitable 6v power supply (leftover from an old cell phone charger). Drilled a hole the same size as the window on the EPROM. I'll just set the EPROM over the hole, plug the cell phone charger into a power strip, turn light on w/ power strip switch and walk away for 30 minutes. Crude but it works. Once you start using EEPROMs, you'll never go back!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Sounds like a project. I have a few old eproms that need checked out. thanksa lot. What is the normal erase time? 15-20min.

Fuel Injected!
    It seems to vary as I've left them in there for 15-20min and they would blank check or not! Sometimes when they blank check alright, they don't burn correctly so I cook them longer. It's kinda annoying!!!

It was a great pleasure to put a face to a screen name!!! Don't want to steal your thunder...anyhoo drove home with 2732A in hand, (btw thanx) stuck it in my burner, did a blank check, loaded AKDX.bin, burned and verified. Next test is to stick it in my home brewed UV eraser and try it again.

On second thought, stuck the 2732A into a OE PROM carrier and put it into one of my '747 ECM. You can borrow for comparison with your '747 if yours continues to not run right. BTW that AKDX.bin didn't seem to have EGR disabled.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 11-27-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    ...stuck the 2732A into a OE PROM carrier and put it into one of my '747 ECM. You can borrow for comparison with your '747 if yours continues to not run right. BTW that AKDX.bin didn't seem to have EGR disabled.

OK, guess I need to learn more about what needs to be done to modify the bin...lol. I did re-solder the few pins of the ZIF that looked suspect. Once I re-burn the 28-pin with the AKDX bin, I'll install it into my modified 7747 and put the ECM into the truck. If the motor doesn't run better, I'll take you up on the offer to borrow your 7747.

I also downloaded WINALDL and installed it onto my Surface Pro 4. I was able to connect to the ALDL using my AutoProm setup and it appeared to be capturing data. However, there was a flashing RED box to the right of the CONFIGURATION tab. Also, whenever I tried to place "checks" under the FLAG DATA and other tabs, the "checks" disappeared. So, something is amiss...don't know if my setup was working correctly. I will keep fiddling with it as well as do some reading.

Fuel Injected!
    To turn EGR off, Open up TunerPro RT and scroll all the way to the bottom to "Patches." All you gotta do is apply the EGR patch. Once that's done, I will save as renaming it to xxxxsansEGR. Yeah, that was an incredibly fast lightning round when I showed you how to change that one VE cell that was reading rich. You shouldn't need to use WinALDL since you have TunerPro RT. Just download the right ADX file and you can use it like a scanner.

Fuel Injected!
    Huh, didn't realize or think of using it that way. So, just load only the ADX. The one I have is $42-1227747-V5.2.adx. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    Last edited by 57 Handyman; 11-27-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Don’t quote me but I think you need the xdf file too.

Fuel Injected!
    It seems to vary as I've left them in there for 15-20min and they would blank check or not! Sometimes when they blank check alright, they don't burn correctly so I cook them longer. It's kinda annoying!!!

On second thought, stuck the 2732A into a OE PROM carrier and put it into one of my '747 ECM. You can borrow for comparison with your '747 if yours continues to not run right. BTW that AKDX.bin didn't seem to have EGR disabled.
    So being I can't leave things alone, I took the 2732A back out, put it in the eraser for 30m, blank check good, deleted EGR in AKDX.bin burn and fail!!! Erased for 30m again, blank check good, burned and success!!! Soooo...even with this new 2732A, erasing with UV light routine continues to be problematic...