Thread: Newbie question regarding Red/Blue PCMs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    that is a good plan the747 was in limp mode.these should work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Anthony, after I sent the response, I found those two files with the BIN I downloaded. Now, I need to look/find locally or order some PROMs. I don't have access to the device to erase the PROMs that I have. I also plan to send back to you both PROMs and the ALDL cable shortly.

As I mentioned, for some reason, the shop's SNAP ON scanner was not able to grab any data or codes. I am hoping that isn't another problem I have to resolve before I can do data logging.

Have a good week!

Fuel Injected!
    UPDATE: On Monday, I tried again to read codes with a scanner. Unfortunately, the scanner would not connect to the ECM via the ALDL. I suspected there were codes because the CEL kept flashing although faintly. So, I went back to the tried and true bent paperclip. The only code was 51--PROM incorrectly installed. SURPRISE!!!

At this point, I have stopped starting and running the engine until I can install a proper PROM for this ECM. Earlier this week, I found and order 4 new 2732A PROMs which should arrive by this weekend. Not surprisingly, I was not able to find any PROMs locally.

Fuel Injected!
    Hopefully the 2732's are new and blank otherwise you shall need to erase them. The PROMs are not interchangeable between the 288 and 747 unfortunately as you discovered.
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    Buddrow,

Yes, the PROMs are NEW and BLANK. Unfortunately, I did not receive them the other day; I was hoping to burn the PROM and install/test them out this weekend. I have downloaded and saved the .bin, .xdf and .adx files to work with my '92 4.3L with 700R4 transmission. I've opened TunerPro RT and looked at the info but it is all greek to me. Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that you are running a 7747 in your own truck. What modifications do you recommend I make to the AKDX 87 G-M-R-V Van 4.3TBI 700r4.bin?

When I was searching for PROMs in Honolulu, one of the sales associates at an electronic supply store cautioned me that he found some old INTEL PROMS would not erase and re-program/burn properly. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this. Also, has anyone had any luck with purchasing and using the $25.00 UV Erasers sold on ebay?

Thanks for your help.

Fuel Injected!
    Here we go again: Is it me or what...don't answer that.

Well, I received the 2732A PROMs and have been trying to learn how to write/burn the .bin to the PROMs. After spending half the morning, looking in and throughout all of the TunerPro screens and online here, I find a reference on the Moates site which indicates that there is no BURN or WRITE function in TP and that I need to download and install FlashBurn. Eureka!!!! But wait, there is more!

Once FlashBurn is installed and working with my laptop, I find that the combination of the AutoPROM and FlashBurn will not allow me to burn 2732A PROMs. The combo only allows READ-only function. YIKES...so now what? Is this correct or am I once again missing something? Do I need to find another device to burn 2732A PROMs?

Unless someone tells me otherwise and/or presents some other options for me to burn 2732A PROMs, my next step appears to be to reconfigure my 7747 ECM by installing a modified ZIF socket and use 28-pin EEPROMs. Once again...live and learn!!

Fuel Injected!
    handyman the autoprom wont burn a chipthat is not electircly arasable I think.if you post the bin you want burned I will burn you one and you can check the 747 out [[ before you go though the putting in a socket]].