Thread: Newbie question regarding Red/Blue PCMs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    LOL...wow, before I installed the adapter, I checked and rechecked that each of the wires was attached to the correct pin in the schematics I had. That is not to say, the schematics were 100% correct. I also did continuity checks with a VOM.

Regarding the Ignition Contol Module, I had considered it as a possible source of problem but had not done a swap out because the rough idle problems disappeared and the engine ran fine at higher RPMs. Would this be the situation, and make sense, if the ICM was bad or going bad?

Fuel Injected!
    Buddrow,

I got the 7747 ECM but it didn't come with a PROM. So, on a whim, I stuck one of the PROMs that Anthony had sent me some time ago for the 4288. This one was a BCC BARL and had been modified for no EGR. Don't know if this was/is an unadvised move. Anyway, the engine started up fine and ran for as long as I would let it run. I turned off the ignition and did several restarts. In park, the idle is a bit on the high side (11-1300 rpm) but the motor isn't struggling or slows down and dies.

I did notice the Check Engine Light faintly flickering but it doesn't display any codes when I turn off the ignition and place the key in ON. I connected a SNAP ON Scanner but am not able to get any readings nor can I get the scanner to display any live data. So, it appears there is something amiss with the ALDL and codes when the 7747 is installed with the 4288 PROM.

Because the 7747 with the 4288 PROM resulted in the engine running for an extended period, I was hoping to attempt data logging. However, this issue with the ALDL might not enable me to do that.

Since I have the MOATES AutoProm, I was thinking of grabbing a 7747 BIN that closely matches my 4.3L TBI with 700r4 and burning a PROM. The one that comes close is the [AKDX 87 G-M-R-V Van 4.3TBI 700r4] that I found in the thread...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

One question that I have is will I have to load appropriate sets of .xdf and .adx files into TunerPro in order to do the burn? If yes, which ones would I need/use?

Once again, one step forward, one step backward....
    Last edited by 57 Handyman; 09-11-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    that is a good plan the747 was in limp mode.these should work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Anthony, after I sent the response, I found those two files with the BIN I downloaded. Now, I need to look/find locally or order some PROMs. I don't have access to the device to erase the PROMs that I have. I also plan to send back to you both PROMs and the ALDL cable shortly.

As I mentioned, for some reason, the shop's SNAP ON scanner was not able to grab any data or codes. I am hoping that isn't another problem I have to resolve before I can do data logging.

Have a good week!

Fuel Injected!
    UPDATE: On Monday, I tried again to read codes with a scanner. Unfortunately, the scanner would not connect to the ECM via the ALDL. I suspected there were codes because the CEL kept flashing although faintly. So, I went back to the tried and true bent paperclip. The only code was 51--PROM incorrectly installed. SURPRISE!!!

At this point, I have stopped starting and running the engine until I can install a proper PROM for this ECM. Earlier this week, I found and order 4 new 2732A PROMs which should arrive by this weekend. Not surprisingly, I was not able to find any PROMs locally.

Fuel Injected!
    Hopefully the 2732's are new and blank otherwise you shall need to erase them. The PROMs are not interchangeable between the 288 and 747 unfortunately as you discovered.
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    Buddrow,

Yes, the PROMs are NEW and BLANK. Unfortunately, I did not receive them the other day; I was hoping to burn the PROM and install/test them out this weekend. I have downloaded and saved the .bin, .xdf and .adx files to work with my '92 4.3L with 700R4 transmission. I've opened TunerPro RT and looked at the info but it is all greek to me. Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that you are running a 7747 in your own truck. What modifications do you recommend I make to the AKDX 87 G-M-R-V Van 4.3TBI 700r4.bin?

When I was searching for PROMs in Honolulu, one of the sales associates at an electronic supply store cautioned me that he found some old INTEL PROMS would not erase and re-program/burn properly. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this. Also, has anyone had any luck with purchasing and using the $25.00 UV Erasers sold on ebay?

Thanks for your help.