Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
I'm happy to see someone else building a standard displacement LT-1. I've always preferred building a smallblock that puts the fat part of the power band over 5000 rpm. As long as your rod bolts are decent, your rod bearing clearance isn't over 2 thousands and your valvetrain will handle it, a moderately built 350 with a nodular iron crank will happily produce good power at 7000 rpm all day long. What's your rev limit set at, and have you hit it yet?

I've yet to get my warm start "perfect", but have been distracted by numerous other things wanting tweaks. It is firing immediately and running without having to crank a long time (or a second time) now, but doesn't quite breathe to life as it did with the factory injectors + tune. Even if I can't get it perfect I'm happy not to have to pedal it to clear the flood.
I would have done a 383 but this was my first full engine build so it was a bit of a learning experience. I did not want to put the extra money into it in case I really screwed something up. It does has forged 6" Scat rods with ARP bolts and lighter Wiseco pistons. I kept the quench pretty tight. The plan was to be able to rev it to 7,000.

Currently have the rev limiter set to 6,600. Have only had it to about 6,300 so far. Only have about 500 miles on it. Working on getting the fueling a timing dialed in better before I really wind it up. Will eventually set the limiter in the 6,800 to 7,000 range when I am comfortable with how it is running. It does like to pull up top though. Looking forward to getting my 4.10 rear swapped in.

It seems the changes I made to the cranking tables really helped with hot starting. It starts about like it did stock. It fires after a couple revolutions. It could probably get better but I am much happier with it now.