Thread: Help on valve spring kit

Fuel Injected!

Help on valve spring kit

I am getting ready to install a Lt1 cam, holley 300-66 intake and either my holley 502-9 or 454 TBI unit. I am going to keep the swirl 193's for now and just install new springs and seals. I am unsure of the spring size and especially the seal size I need without machining. I am not removing the heads. I found this kit that I need confirmation on https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-174000/overview/ . If anyone could help me out or let me know the size spring/seals I would appreciate it.

Fuel Injected!
    What heads are you running? I can measure my LT1 springs off my iron heads if you want

Fuel Injected!
    The are the 14102193 swirl port heads that are stock on 93 k1500 5.7. I am not sure yours will be the same. Probably closer to the vortecs than anything. I have found info on FSC forums that the guide is about .570" and someone clarified that I am able to use Felpro SS72527 for the intake and SS72877 for the exhaust. Or I can use felpro SS72527 on both intake and exhaust, which is probably what I will do since its a positive seal. The SS72877 is an umbrella seal. Thanks for the reply!

Fuel Injected!
    The Iron LT1 heads are very similar to vortecs. .570 sounds right to me.

Fuel Injected!
    Should be able to use Comp 787 retainers and GM LS6 Blue springs on those heads without issue. OD of most stock springs is right at ~1.25" That spring/retainer package will support way more cam than you would ever want to run with swirl ports. In the .550" lift range.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Should be able to use Comp 787 retainers and GM LS6 Blue springs on those heads without issue. OD of most stock springs is right at ~1.25" That spring/retainer package will support way more cam than you would ever want to run with swirl ports. In the .550" lift range.
    Thanks fast, would you recommend those springs/retainers over the Alexs kit? He said he could set up a kit for the 193's that is just like his vortec kit, but has the damper in the spring. How about the installed height on different springs..If they recommend a taller installed height will I run into problems with it and the valve, or do I just roll with whatever height they give and call it good?

edit: Alex also stated that I cant use springs without the damper bc the springs will be loose on the guide and could move. I dont know about that, never heard it before.
    Last edited by Stokes1114; 07-20-2017 at 04:58 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Can anybody confirm if I need the damper spring with the swirl port heads? Or can I use the beehive or others without a damper?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokes1114 View Post
    Can anybody confirm if I need the damper spring with the swirl port heads? Or can I use the beehive or others without a damper?
    I believe Beehives do not have any damper. I went with Alex's Parts to get my valvetrain stuff and was impressed with his help and knowledge. I didn't mind giving him the business over summit or Jegs