Thread: Header fitment with 1993 K1500 - Recommendations Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Header fitment with 1993 K1500 - Recommendations Please

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have first hand experience with fitting headers onto a 1993 K1500? If anyone can recommend a specific brand and model/part number of something known to fit well I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

AC

PS - Yes, I know there is not a lot to gain from this. But looks and sound count for something too!

I bought the stainless shorties of ebay for my 95 K2500 406ci TBI project. I'm also using the Jeg's off-road Y-pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Queencityspeed View Post
    I bought the stainless shorties of ebay for my 95 K2500 406ci TBI project. I'm also using the Jeg's off-road Y-pipe.
    How do they fit? Did you have to "massage" anything?

To be completely honest I haven't installed the motor in the chassis yet. Probably dropping it in the chassis next weekend. I see your from GA. I'm in Gainesville.

Any updates or recommendations on the header fit? Would you go the same route if you were going to do it again?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone have first hand experience with fitting headers onto a 1993 K1500? If anyone can recommend a specific brand and model/part number of something known to fit well I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

AC

PS - Yes, I know there is not a lot to gain from this. But looks and sound count for something too!
    You would be surprised what a good set of headers and decent exhaust can do for a small block, even shorties. You will have to do a little tuning in most cases to optimize for the increased flow. My brothers 1999 Tahoe 2wd has summit racing shorties for a 1996-2000 Vortec 5.7 and the Jegs Y-pipe along with the Magnaflow catback for the same application. We installed Thunderbolt cats into the offroad "Y" which I put in quotations because the Vortec 350s are dual exhaust to the muffler. His Tahoe actually has a Lunati 268 cammed L30 305 Vortec swapped into it when he bought it. He bought it cheap as the 350 had a broken crank when he bought it. Compared to the factory manifolds, cats and exhaust the 305 had a HUGE shot in the arm across most of the RPM range. We did the exhaust and a Volant cold air intake at the same time. Had to do a good bit of tweaking to the tune after to give it enough fuel to run properly. Taking the manifolds off also eliminated alot of heat being dumped into the heads and allowed us to put 2-4° more timing into the tune for even more torque. Fuel economy went from am average of 17 mpg in mixed driving to 19 mpg. It is more responsive even at highway cruising speeds and does not downshift on hills as often. 3.42 gears and 32" tall tires have it running 1,700 rpm @ 70 mph. It has always amazed me how little throttle you have to use to run down the highway. Runs around 18-20% TPS at 70 mph on flat land.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-08-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    You would be surprised what a good set of headers and decent exhaust can do for a small block, even shorties. You will have to do a little tuning in most cases to optimize for the increased flow. My brothers 1999 Tahoe 2wd has summit racing shorties for a 1996-2000 Vortec 5.7 and the Jegs Y-pipe along with the Magnaflow catback for the same application. We installed Thunderbolt cats into the offroad "Y" which I put in quotations because the Vortec 350s are dual exhaust to the muffler. His Tahoe actually has a Lunati 268 cammed L30 305 Vortec swapped into it when he bought it. He bought it cheap as the 350 had a broken crank when he bought it. Compared to the factory manifolds, cats and exhaust the 305 had a HUGE shot in the arm across most of the RPM range. We did the exhaust and a Volant cold air intake at the same time. Had to do a good bit of tweaking to the tune after to give it enough fuel to run properly. Taking the manifolds off also eliminated alot of heat being dumped into the heads and allowed us to put 2-4° more timing into the tune for even more torque. Fuel economy went from am average of 17 mpg in mixed driving to 19 mpg. It is more responsive even at highway cruising speeds and does not downshift on hills as often. 3.42 gears and 32" tall tires have it running 1,700 rpm @ 70 mph. It has always amazed me how little throttle you have to use to run down the highway. Runs around 18-20% TPS at 70 mph on flat land.
    This is very encouraging. I'm not familiar with that cam but I'll check it out. Now I'm torn between the seemingly easy install of shorties and the Jegs Y pipe or just going all out and trying to find some long tubes that are reasonable straight forward to fit.

If anyone has a long tube recommendation that fits on a 4WD without too much hassle I welcome the recommendation.

Is this the cam?

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2325

It doesn't say but based on the price it's a flat tapper cam right? How does it behave in a 4WD truck? Seems like 2400 is way too high of a stall. Might be fun for a sport truck though. ����

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Is this the cam?

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2325

It doesn't say but based on the price it's a flat tapper cam right? How does it behave in a 4WD truck? Seems like 2400 is way too high of a stall. Might be fun for a sport truck though. 樂樂
    http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2935&gid=258

I used the Lunati cam because I had it. I had lifters, timing set and even pushrods left hanging around that were intended for a 70s style Goodwrench 350 buildup that never happened because the bottem end let go before it happened. Flat tappet went right into a Vortec 305 because it was a low budget build for an Astro van to start with. The 1999 Tahoe is 2wd although a coworker has the same year 4x4 Yukon at work with a 350 still in it and is running the exact same headers and "Y" pipe.

I like 2,500-3,000 rpm stall speed in almost everything. I tow a 6,000 lbs travel trailer behind my 6,200 lbs Express van with a 2,600 rpm converter behind the 350.

The factory converter in my 2014 Nissan Titan Pro4X stalled 2,500 and I pulled trailers all over the place and drove it off road in 4 wheel drive hi and low with no issues at all.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-09-2017 at 11:25 AM.